Minnesota replacing Iowa as Nebraska's Thanksgiving Game

knapplc

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And one more point: Yes, you’re playing the season finale on short rest. But guess what, so is the other team! And if you make the Big Ten title game (as Nebraska should on a semi-annual basis), you get an extra day of preparation the following week.

I guess it’s been so long that NU didn’t think of that benefit.

OWH

wljclpzrmitievgozfez.gif

• Plus1 1

I just got this e-mail from Jim Delaney after I expressed my feelings about the scheduling change.

Hello Cy and thank you for your thoughts...no, actually, I really don't care what your thoughts, or, for that matter, the Nebraska fan base, are because I make millions of dollars and what you think doesn't matter to me or the Big 10.  If Ohio State or Michigan were to have a problem with our schedules you can be damn sure we would be quick to rectify it.  That's where the millions come from to pay my salary and outrageous bonus...but Nebraska?  I hate to tell you this but in this conference all schools get an equal say...except for Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State (during basketball season) and Penn State.  If we allowed you to keep your Black Friday game then we would have to let all the other inconsequential schools keep their silly little traditions too!  That might take the focus off of Ohio State and Michigan and I would not receive as many millions or outrageous bonuses.  

Frankly Cy, Nebraska needs to realize they are in the Big 10 now.  Any traditions or achievements they had in that other conference no longer exist.  WE are your Lord now and you will meekly submit and do as you are told.  In this conference you are no more special than Illinois or Minnesota or those two schools from those little states over on the east coast who I always forget about.

in closing...I have a brand new Lexus and a private jet so don't e-mail me again

Sincerely

Jim Delany

• Plus1 5
14 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

I dare say that we would have been better off staying in the Big 12,  but no one will ever know that now.  Big 10 is about Michigan and Ohio St.  Thats the pecking order.  1A and 1B.  The other remaining schools don't matter as much.  In all reality, the best Black Friday game would be against Wisky.  Just schedule it every year.  I truly believe that once we find a coach bring back some luster to the program that the Wisky game would be for the West crown most years.  Michigan and OSU would have there annual showdown to decide the east.  But wait.............thats no going to happen every year because of the Horseshoe-Big House rivalry now is it!

In the Big10 the OSU/Mich game matters because the schools themselves make it matter. Does the Big10 profit from the schools making it a big deal, sure, but if the schools aren't driving it the rivalry dies. If Oklahoma AND Nebraska REALLY cared, they would still be playing each other on black Friday. Don't blame the Big10 and OSU/Michigan because Oklahoma cheated on you with Texas. OSU and Michigan care a lot more about the other schools in the conference than Texas cares about anyone in the Big 12. I get it though, somehow we remember the past more fondly than it really was. 

OK...listening to the radio right now.  Some fan called in all upset about this because Minnesota isn't as good as Iowa and he claimed that Nebraska was running away from playing good competition.

What a load of BS.  It's not like we AREN'T playing Iowa at all.  It's just on a different weekend.  The strength of our schedule is not changing.

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

If this were the old Big 8 days were Nebraska was only playing one or two tough games and rolling everyone else than I would be inclined to agree with you.  At this stage of the game, I think the collective fan base would be pretty tickled with wins, pure and simple.  If scheduling the sisters of the poor meant Nebraska was getting to the CCG every year than I would be completely fine with that.  In a one game scenario lots of weird stuff can happen.  I'd rather Nebraska get that chance to win the conference than the alternative we have right now.

I would be so bored with Nebraska football if we played Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, N. Illinois and Arkansas St. every year just to get wins.  You cant tell me the atmosphere in the stadium or the week leading up to game is the same when we play N. Illinois as opposed to tOSU.  Plus recruiting is easier when we play a big game at home and the atmosphere is amazing.  This weekend will not be the same as when Wisconsin and OSU come to town.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm more ticked that Nebraska is stuck playing Ohio State for the next few years.  I'd be nice to catch someone else that isn't you know..a total juggernaut.  Heck, give us Michigan.  After Harbaugh leaves to take the Colts job and fire up the Andrew Luck connection UM will be in flux again.

I don't understand fans like you. Many Minnesota fans feels similarly.

How could you be upset about having OSU on the home schedule? Wouldn't you rather watch the Corn Huskers play a primetime game against a highly visible opponent than watch another snoozefest game against Rutgers? If Nebraska is as great as we all believe it is (and I'm a Badger fan), then you ought to embrace opportunities to play big-time opponents year in and year out. Don't be like Gopher fans who hope and pray their schedule gets filled with the Rutgers and Indianas of the world so they can back into a mid-major bowl game. Be excited about the chance to beat OSU in Memorial Stadium in 3 of the next 6 years! You're NEBRASKA! One of the greatest football helmet schools in the country, for god sakes!

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Rike Miley said:

I would be so bored with Nebraska football if we played Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois, N. Illinois and Arkansas St. every year just to get wins.  You cant tell me the atmosphere in the stadium or the week leading up to game is the same when we play N. Illinois as opposed to tOSU.  Plus recruiting is easier when we play a big game at home and the atmosphere is amazing.  This weekend will not be the same as when Wisconsin and OSU come to town.

We by and large already play those teams.  I'm more looking for some variety on the crossover game versus playing Ohio State every year.  Sure the atmosphere for a big game certainly adds a level of excitement.  As for the bolded, it might help get the kids on campus, however getting boat raced is probably what you're looking to avoid.

41 minutes ago, BigTenBadger said:

I don't understand fans like you. Many Minnesota fans feels similarly.

How could you be upset about having OSU on the home schedule? Wouldn't you rather watch the Corn Huskers play a primetime game against a highly visible opponent than watch another snoozefest game against Rutgers? If Nebraska is as great as we all believe it is (and I'm a Badger fan), then you ought to embrace opportunities to play big-time opponents year in and year out. Don't be like Gopher fans who hope and pray their schedule gets filled with the Rutgers and Indianas of the world so they can back into a mid-major bowl game. Be excited about the chance to beat OSU in Memorial Stadium in 3 of the next 6 years! You're NEBRASKA! One of the greatest football helmet schools in the country, for god sakes!

I don't care about playing Ohio State during the regular season, I care about facing them in the CCG.  Not playing them during the regular season helps Nebraska achieve the second part of my first sentence.  If Nebraska is in the CCG chances are pretty high they're going to a good bowl game so I'm not sure where the mid-tier bowl talk comes in.  If we're going to play a team from the other division consistently, I'd rather see it be another team.   You obviously feel differently and that's fine.  

19 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

We by and large already play those teams.  I'm more looking for some variety on the crossover game versus playing Ohio State every year.  Sure the atmosphere for a big game certainly adds a level of excitement.  As for the bolded, it might help get the kids on campus, however getting boat raced is probably what you're looking to avoid.

Playing at home is different than playing on the road.  Gives us a better chance of winning or at least keeping it respectable.  Michigan St. two years ago, nobody was giving us a chance.  We won and ended up getting Lamar Jackson in the process.  Even if we lost, it was still a great atmosphere and Jackson would have been impressed either way.

2 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Playing at home is different than playing on the road.  Gives us a better chance of winning or at least keeping it respectable.  Michigan St. two years ago, nobody was giving us a chance.  We won and ended up getting Lamar Jackson in the process.  Even if we lost, it was still a great atmosphere and Jackson would have been impressed either way.

I agree with your statement.  Again, my point is avoiding Ohio State specifically, not avoiding other potentially big time teams (UM, PSU, etc).  I just feel Ohio State is a cut above everyone else.

Many good points made here, but no one is really addressing the major issue and thats the fact that the Big 10 is now turning its back on Nebraska in a huge way.  They set up this Iowa thing.  They were pushing this item.  Now all of a sudden, its time to rotate.  Whose really pushing this idea?  Wisky, Minny, Maryland, Penn ST or who?  Reality of this matter is the Big 10 is going down the same path as the Big 12 did.  Money and those who make the money for the conference.  That is Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St.  They are in the national spot light.  They are recruiting in the upper level.  I get it.  What have you done for me lately attitude.  Big 12 pushed Nebraska out of its comfort level and made Texas and OU its bell cows.  Big 10 is doing the same thing, but in a more subtle way.  

This is why its time to either make the program great again or settle in for what Iowa has been for decades in the Big 10 and thats a feel good story every 5 or 10 years.  Once in a blue moon contending for conference crowns and playing a meaningful bowl game.

Eichorst is not doing whats in the best interest of Nebraska.  He is still eying Wisky after Barry retires.  SE knows that his ride in this state is short lived.  

Trev Alberts is in waiting.  Scott Frost is waiting.  Hell, Bob Stoops might be waiting........doubtful, but...........?

It seems to me that the Big 10 is daring Nebraska to become relevant once again, are we willing to do what it takes to do so?

:facepalm:

55 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Many good points made here, but no one is really addressing the major issue and thats the fact that the Big 10 is now turning its back on Nebraska in a huge way.  They set up this Iowa thing.  They were pushing this item.  Now all of a sudden, its time to rotate.  Whose really pushing this idea?  Wisky, Minny, Maryland, Penn ST or who?  Reality of this matter is the Big 10 is going down the same path as the Big 12 did.  Money and those who make the money for the conference.  That is Michigan, Ohio St, and Penn St.  They are in the national spot light.  They are recruiting in the upper level.  I get it.  What have you done for me lately attitude.  Big 12 pushed Nebraska out of its comfort level and made Texas and OU its bell cows.  Big 10 is doing the same thing, but in a more subtle way.  

This is why its time to either make the program great again or settle in for what Iowa has been for decades in the Big 10 and thats a feel good story every 5 or 10 years.  Once in a blue moon contending for conference crowns and playing a meaningful bowl game.

You know what? Thanksgiving weekend comes and we're gonna see GB vs Det no matter what.  Like it or not, enjoy it or not.  Good thing another option is available.  There is an iconic football team playing too (Dallas Cowboys) .  The Cowboys will play a diff opponent that weekend without the NFL turning it's back on them in a huge way, as you point towards Nebraska.  

It's football man.  And it's the Huskers.  Whoever they play, as long as they play a game that weekend, it doesn't matter.