R Da BlackShirts Bak?

ScottyIce

12 hours ago, Mavric said:

The defense has played well the last three weeks.

They have played the #84, #81 and #112 offenses in terms of completion percentage.  

They have played the #90, #117 and #102 offenses in terms of yards per game.

They have played the #87, #81 and #107 scoring offenses.

Based on our less-than-stellar cornerback play and tackling in general, I'm not sure it will hold up.

But they've done about all they could do for the last three games.

You are good at what you do - I'm just not sure why you do what you do.  Seems like those last two statements are very telling.

2 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

we still don't seem to be that swarming, attacking defense that we used to be.........bend don't break looks different than the Blackshirt defense of yesterday.......we used to dare people to attack us, this defense sits back more and tends to play zone, or so it seems to me.

As you probably know, philosophically, Diaco doesn't want to give up the big play and they've done a good job limiting them since the second half against Oregon. A more 'attack' style defense ultimately opens itself up to higher risk situations. This can be offset by great defensive talent and a powerful offense, but Nebraska has neither of those. So, personally, I don't get too bent out of shape about Diaco's philosophy. I think it works well for this particular team right now.

That said, I still don't understand why some of our corners are so far back in some situations.

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Looks like it.

what say ya America?

Umm, no. I'm as excited as anyone to see them playing well, but let's be honest it has been against some truly atrocious offenses. The best offenses we have faced have torched us. Was that a function of it being early in the year and the guys still getting used to the system? Maybe. But, we don't really know yet. 

The Blachshirts of old were a unit in their prime who could shut down the top teams in the nation consistently. We haven't seen anything close to that and 1 or 2 games doesn't make it true. 

Honestly, I think it's something that will be best assessed at the end of the year. 

Progress is progress though and I'm excited to see them face a test. However, I think that test is OSU and PSU more then Whisky. I think they are more then capable of holding Wisc to low points and yardage. The other two, not so sure

These were two very terrible offenses that at no point in time did I ever feel could generate much threat. I think Diaco felt the same way. He threw a lot out there the past two weeks. I thought he used this as an opportunity to test things and put things on film. 

You can't decide who you play, but you can decide how you utilize that time. 

11 hours ago, MattyIce said:

Wisconsin and Iowa are the definition of vanilla. Yes, they are good at what they do, but there is no guessing involved. Just line it up and be the bigger man. They don't have better athletes than us according to recruiting analysts. Let's go kick some ass in the back alley and stop talking about Wisky and Iowa already.

Right

The problem is we have too many weak links in the defense.  Both corners are not playing very well.. the LBs beside Gifford are not impressive and kinda slow.  D line is looking better depending on what line up is in.  The safeties I think are actually the bright spot considering what they have to do.  If we could get some corners that can cover AND tackle we would be in business..  ball skills would also be nice 

6 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

The problem is we have too many weak links in the defense.  Both corners are not playing very well.. the LBs beside Gifford are not impressive and kinda slow.  D line is looking better depending on what line up is in.  The safeties I think are actually the bright spot considering what they have to do.  If we could get some corners that can cover AND tackle we would be in business..  ball skills would also be nice 

Get Kalu and Jones back and put them back at CB.  Start Reed and A Williams at safety and Lamar Jackson comes in when we run nickel and we slide Jones inside.

6 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Get Kalu and Jones back and put them back at CB.  Start Reed and A Williams at safety and Lamar Jackson comes in when we run nickel and we slide Jones inside.

I think i made that suggestion a while back.  Plus I think Reed is a better safety overall.  I don't think it will happen tho because I think the coaches sold their souls to get Jackson to sign 

Blackshirts........back...........sorry lets wait and see!  This group hasn't played anyone yet than can run the ball the way Wisky runs it.  They will lineup and smash it down your throat for half the game then start play actioning it.  I hope we are improved.  I hope we have improved greatly.  I want to believe that we have.  I want to buy into Diaco and his system.  We just haven't really played a good offensive team other than Oregon.  NIU beat us with our own offense.  To be honest, if Lee throws more int's, it won't matter if our defense is rock solid.  Thats what bothers me the most.