Racism - It's a real thing.

17 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Well, I'm not sure you'd call it a ghetto, but if you watched the video a few pages back about the people in Appalachia, I grew up around quite a few people like that. We were really poor, living in a crappy trailer. I had/have a wonderful mother (so thankful), but also had an angry, verbally abusive (sometimes physically) father. Drug abusers in the family.... Not deadly violence, but violence nonetheless. 

Lucky for me, I feel like I had a good head on my shoulders, had a great mother (as I mentioned), and found a good woman that became my wife. For those reasons, I did turn out to be more successful than I ever expected to be, I'm proud of it, and I make no apologies for being proud of it. So there's that.

So you didn't grow up in the ghetto where the music you purport to understand comes from.

Cool story.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Agreed! Claiming to know all about an entire genre of music because a person listened to it at one time is laughable.

I feel like we've all grown a bit today!

It's laughable to suggest that blatantly obvious misogyny, and degradation of women can't be identified in song lyrics unless you were raised in da hood.

How could we possibly understand! It has to be your bull.... er sl*t.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's laughable to suggest that blatantly obvious misogyny, and degradation of women can't be identified in song lyrics unless you were raised in da hood.

How could we possibly understand! It has to be your bull.... er sl*t.

So there's no degradation of women in rural America? No misogyny? And that's why the eminently superior genre of country music is better?

Or is it that country music just glorifies alcoholism, and glosses over the misogyny inherent in rural culture?

What's better, to openly discuss the issues that plague a culture or to pretend they don't exist? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It's about all i listened to when I was high school. Then I grew up, had my first daughter, and quickly realized it wasn't something a father of a daughter should listen to.

Wait, so you listened to this music that's the plight of black America but turned out alright? You weren't a pimp, a drug dealer, a player, or degenerate? The music didn't dictate your lifestyle? Weird... Almost like it's just music for anyone to listen to...

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Wait, so you listened to this music that's the plight of black America but turned out alright? You weren't a pimp, a drug dealer, a player, or degenerate? The music didn't dictate your lifestyle? Weird... Almost like it's just music for anyone to listen to...

I think you're forgetting the origin of this discussion. It started with you absurdly suggesting that country music and rap music are equatable in terms of misogyny, and th degradation of women, which is laughable, of course.

It's pretty obvious that the way that lifestyle is romanticized in their music, that it plays a role in the destructive culture that's been created in the inner cities. That assumption isn't exactly a stretch. 

It amazes me what some of you will explain away, just because it's become taboo to be critical of black people, on any level.

• Plus1 3

Surely we can agree that while some might use systemic racism as an excuse for their personal failures, that hardly means systemic racism doesn't exist.

We should also note that when a black person works hard and overcomes all obstacles to succeed, it's not a story of racial equity, it's a story of all the extra obstacles the person had to overcome. That's still the case for a lot of women, too. 

Most importantly, why are we debating the false equivalency of rap vs. country, when heavy metal hair bands are the better fit?

Hey, are any of you old enough to remember Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies album?  

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Must suck to live in CA 

I was raised in Nebraska, went to college at UNL. Moved to California a couple years after graduation.

I still spend a lot of time in Nebraska. Still love the state. Love California, too. Weirdly enough found more small town values and tight knit neighborhoods here.

So no, it doesn't suck. Nor do I badmouth Nebraska. Just you from time to time. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I think you're forgetting the origin of this discussion. It started with you absurdly suggesting that country music and rap music are equatable in terms of misogyny, and th degradation of women, which is laughable, of course.

It's pretty obvious that the way that lifestyle is romanticized in their music, that it plays a role in the destructive culture that's been created in the inner cities. That assumption isn't exactly a stretch. 

It amazes me what some of you will explain away, just because it's become taboo to be critical of black people, on any level.

Are you black? You listened to the music and turned out just fine, as you say.

Video games don't cause mass shooters, just like rap doesn't create pimps and misogyny anymore than country music, rock, or R&B do. Again my point is that country has levels of abuse in it as well. You just don't care because you've chosen to identify closer with it. That's fine. Just be honest about it.

• Haha 2