Racism - It's a real thing.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Life in prison for possession of marijuana compared to killing a man.  Even if the marijuana guy had a prior record?  Hmmmm.....

i wonder what his other 2 offenses were?    if he shot a man just to watch him die i could see the logic in this.  if he was caught with marijuana 2 times previously i have a problem with this  

• Plus1 3

14 hours ago, commando said:

i wonder what his other 2 offenses were?    if he shot a man just to watch him die i could see the logic in this.  if he was caught with marijuana 2 times previously i have a problem with this  

Two burglaries and unlawful possession of a firearm; so, by state law and based on his crimes, he was a habitual offender and eligible for a life sentence on the marijuana possession.

Personally, and I think most would agree, it's a ridiculous situation. Some dissenting judges in Mississippi argued that exceptions can and should be made in these kind of situations but, alas, he'll serve a life sentence.

23 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

There is always more to the headline than the s#!t Ben Crump throws out on twitter

I don't know about anybody else, but I think it's disappointing that when I see tweets like this... I feel obligated to look into the cases to see if there's something that's not being explicitly said. It shouldn't be like that.

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

Two burglaries and unlawful possession of a firearm; so, by state law and based on his crimes, he was a habitual offender and eligible for a life sentence on the marijuana possession.

Personally, and I think most would agree, it's a ridiculous situation. Some dissenting judges in Mississippi argued that exceptions can and should be made in these kind of situations but, alas, he'll serve a life sentence.

I don't know about anybody else, but I think it's disappointing that when I see tweets like this... I feel obligated to look into the cases to see if there's something that's not being explicitly said. It shouldn't be like that.

I feel like this should all be pretty simple in regards to the criminal justice system as a whole. If what you do does not hurt anyone else or their property then you arent going to jail period. If you want to issue a fine for some of the devils lettuce so be it but under no circumstance should someone be put in prison for ingesting something into their own body. 

• Plus1 5
8 hours ago, Enhance said:

It seems like this is the wrong use of mandatory lifetime sentencing.  Crump would have been better off showing a white prisoner who had three felonies with the last one being a drug offense who didn’t get a life sentence to make his point.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I feel like this should all be pretty simple in regards to the criminal justice system as a whole. If what you do does not hurt anyone else or their property then you arent going to jail period. If you want to issue a fine for some of the devils lettuce so be it but under no circumstance should someone be put in prison for ingesting something into their own body. 

With marijuana, I agree. I've seen enough research and evidence to convince me that it should be legalized or, at the very least, not result in incarceration. Situations like the one involving Mr. Russell are more indicative of poorly written laws and application of said laws than anything else. (They're also the kinds of situations that breed accusations of systemic racism. I would imagine laws like that disproportionately impact minority groups but I've never looked into it.)

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It seems like this is the wrong use of mandatory lifetime sentencing.  Crump would have been better off showing a white prisoner who had three felonies with the last one being a drug offense who didn’t get a life sentence to make his point.  

It's a pathetic sentence when if he was simply in another state, it would be legal.  But, he gets a life sentence.  Meanwhile, a guy kills another man and gets less sentence.

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's a pathetic sentence when if he was simply in another state, it would be legal.  But, he gets a life sentence.  Meanwhile, a guy kills another man and gets less sentence.

Killing a 5 yr old gets less time than Chauvin.  Alert Mr. Crump please. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Wait, at the college level?

Do the regents want to piss off a bunch of professors?

The only thing professors hate doing more than being present for office hours, teaching 100 level classes, publishing and missing conventions held in cool locations...is being told what they can't discuss/teach in class. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1