Disappointed nothing changes till end of year

jauken

4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

@lo country  I just watched Ohio State beat us like a drum.  It appeared we were a step slower, not as strong.  Is that really just coaching.  I watched the Wisconsin and Ohio State running backs just run away from out top players.  Is that desire or is it talent.  If you watched the game, and I know you did, you really believe we have the talent to win next year.  I just don't see that happening, and I think it sets unrealistic expectations, that when not obtained cause more problems for the first year coach.  I am all for it if it happens, but I have been on this board for a long time and seen these statements for a lot of years.  And normally when we hit a team with talent, they kick our teeth in.  And it has been many years, not just the last three.

This is not an overnight deal,  it took Coach Osborne a long time to get to the top and I watched many games where we were not competitive with the top teams.  It takes time to develop (this) program due to local talent available.  Coach Osborne realized it.  Seldom did we see an O or D lineman play a game until their third year in the system, normally more.  We have to be willing to invest in Nebraska.  Not just think it will happen overnight.

I agree that we appeared slower and got mauled on the line.  Looking at recruiting rankings, they aren't the be all end all, but they've gotta count for something.  I do think we can win the West next year.  We played Wisky close the 2 previous years with the Barnum and Bailey staff.....Imagine a better staff that develops and maximizes talent.  A staff that might even look to the Juco route to plug obvious holes in the team....

I remember Barrett Ruud made the comment in 2003 that Bo had transformed his game by showing him pursuit angles and little nuances that transformed his game.  That's coaching.  I look at some of the teams that go new coaches when we did and their current success.  They are trending upward, we are trending downward.  Thats coaching.  

I look at Jaimes and Decker getting playing time and they are better than Knevel and Conrad IMHO.  If not for injuries, they'd still be on the bench.  Much like Lavonte David.....That's coaching.  Allowing guys to repeatedly blow plays, angles, calls, protections etc and still play is coaching...

I looked at the play of Bootles and Dismuke and saw dudes making errors.  At full speed.  Next year we have a great class (lower rankings due to numbers) that with a great hire will still play here.  Guys who on paper can make a difference.  

It took TO 23 years to win the MNC, but he played for it multiple times. Bad breaks, ballsy calls and BS penalties cost us some of them.....He fielded consistent teams throughout his tenure.  He observed, game planned, adapted and had teams that out worked everyone.   

We get a coach who preaches accountability.  To the team and each other.  Demands sound technique and discipline, things missing for years and we see an immediate improvement.  Get them to believe they can win instead of thinking they can keep games close.....Demand physicality...

5 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Funny how no one gives a damn about the athletes, coaches or their families in situations like this.  Just as long as you get your pound of flesh when you want it is all that matters.

On one hand I agree, on another I say that's what life is like living under a microscope.  I do feel for the kids that get jerked from one coaching staff to another.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Firing him now won't salvage the season.  If someone on this all-star staff was that capable, it would have shown by now IMHO....Let the seniors have the HC they have played with the past 3 years.  Try to have a smooth transition from this staff to the next.  As mentioned above, let the season live or die on this staff...

We have Purdue, Minnie, PSU, Iowa and NW on the list....The rest of the B1G smells blood and no one wants to be the team that NU beats this season.  I suspect we will get every teams best shot......is there a coach on the staff that can take over as interim and win?  Still possible  (highly unlikely) to beat Purdue, Minnie and NW and get bowl eligible......Iowa and PSU probably not.  Then again, Riley being Riley loses to one of the first 3 and knocks off PSU.  Hate to say it, that happens and we go 6-6 we might get Riley again with some serious offensive changes....Excuses flow, the whole new scheme, new QB, youth, injuries, defensive staff etc..... I hope not.

Riley is all but gone.  Thats been said over and over again, not only here, but all over the state.  Big money people have already made this clear.  Thats why I think this continuing is only hurting the players that do care.  Parrella, should be the interim.  He is Nebraska football.  That would see whats on this team for the rest of the year.  Its time to move on.  Its time to see who is a contender and who is a pretender.  Players and coaches alike.  Parella would at least know how to run the ball and do somethings the right way.

Imagine if we had the patience with Riley that we had with Osborne. By the time Riley started winning he'd be 96 years old. Nebraska can afford to be patient with a young up coming coach, but not a guy who has been coaching for 30 years and is already 65. The thought of Riley coming to Nebraska was to see what this experienced coach could do with more. He was successful at Oregon State, given Oregon State standards and resources, so the plan was he would be successful at Nebraska with some of the best resources and support. He failed miserably. For a coach with as many years as Riley and as old as Riley it isn't going to get better. It is year 3 and Nebraska has regressed, people and Riley himself say wait for the 4-5th year. Well what is that going to do? He has his guys here, Lee is an older player and this is his second year under Riley and Co and his stats are horrible.

I agree with not firing him mid season, it does nothing, but for sake of sanity tell Husker nation that we will be moving in a different direction in 2018 without Riley. Then we can all settle down, relax, enjoy the remaining amount of games win or lose it will be just for enjoyment as we all can look forward to next year. All the remaining games would be like non CFP or New Years 6 bowl games where outcome really doesn't matter but the experience is nice to have.

For those who think Riley will magically become a conference contending coach next year or the year after, I am sorry to burst your bubble, but it isn't going to happen. Nothing in his career since his coaching days in Canada suggest otherwise. If it weren't for Armstrongs legs last season Nebraska may be looking at 3 straight losing seasons under Riley.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BillMoos said:

You're a Nebraska fan, I hoped you'd be used to disappointment by now. 

There should be a new rule around here and that is you can't assume the identity of an administrator of the University of Nebraska, player, or coach, use their personal name as a username on the forum. It's idiotic to see people (like you) assume the identity of such a person and to make matters worse, include a picture of them. I wish such a rule was enforced and your account was banned. Lately, you have been making idiotic posts under the name and photo of our Athletic Director. What a shame :facepalm:

I suppose I can make a complaint to a moderator?

Edited by FTW
  • Plus1 6

16 minutes ago, FTW said:

There should be a new rule around here and that is you can't assume the identity of an administrator of the University of Nebraska, player, or coach, use their personal name as a username on the forum. It's idiotic to see people (like you) assume the identity of such a person and to make matters worse, include a picture of them. I wish such a rule was enforced and your account was banned. Lately, you have been making idiotic posts under the name and photo of our Athletic Director. What a shame :facepalm:

There should be a rule that you aren’t allowed to be butthurt about such silly things.

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, skersfan said:

@lo country  I just watched Ohio State beat us like a drum.  It appeared we were a step slower, not as strong.  Is that really just coaching.  I watched the Wisconsin and Ohio State running backs just run away from out top players.  Is that desire or is it talent.  If you watched the game, and I know you did, you really believe we have the talent to win next year.  I just don't see that happening, and I think it sets unrealistic expectations, that when not obtained cause more problems for the first year coach.  I am all for it if it happens, but I have been on this board for a long time and seen these statements for a lot of years.  And normally when we hit a team with talent, they kick our teeth in.  And it has been many years, not just the last three.

This is not an overnight deal,  it took Coach Osborne a long time to get to the top and I watched many games where we were not competitive with the top teams.  It takes time to develop (this) program due to local talent available.  Coach Osborne realized it.  Seldom did we see an O or D lineman play a game until their third year in the system, normally more.  We have to be willing to invest in Nebraska.  Not just think it will happen overnight.

This is it in a nutshell.  Bo's last two classes were not at all great because recruits could already see BP wasn't going to be here very long.  Mike R's first class basically tried to save the kids Bo had committed.  Last years class was ranked pretty high at one point but lost 3 of the very best kids to grades and it slipped to the mid 20's in ranking.  This years upcoming class is strong in WR and DB's but weak in both lines.  Rumors say we have other 4 and 5 star kids willing to be here but time will tell if this class holds together.

We are light years away from being competitive with the OSU, Bama, Penn St and Clemsons.  We are years from having a team capable of going 11-1 or 10-2 in the big 10.  I just watched the 1st qtr of Saturdays game and we maybe have 2 kids who could play in the 2 deep for OSU.  It was like watching a high school varsity overwhelm a middle school team.  

We ask Tanner Lee to direct this offense but we have 3 short, not exceptionally quick receivers who drop too many passes.  A line that while improving probably gets a C grade.  Two TE's who struggle to even slow down a defender let alone block one.  Three backs, one who may never play again, another who is average and one who runs with an attitude but is on the coaches s#!t list apparently and only plays when the other two are hurt.  Give Tanner L some credit for the improvement he has shown the last few weeks and still playing with heart.

We have a defense that is so under skilled and whether that is on the coaches or players or both is up for grabs.  I was sad to see Bob Elliot pass away because now we don't have a coach capable of teaching these kids how to play the position.  We are forced to play 8 to 10 yards off the receiver in order to force the other team to throw short to extend the game.  Better to lose 56-14 than 84-7 I guess.  The front 7 mostly played hard Saturday, they were just overmatched with size, strength and speed.  

I have no idea who Nebraska needs for a coach.  Riley looks like a homeless guy on the sidelines looking for a cigarette butt.  Totally checked out and wishing the game was over.  All of our summer enthusiasm is gone and we know we got a lump of coal in our stocking again.  If we want Scott Frost we might be better to go back channels and see if he wants to coach another year at UCF and then offer him a buttload of money if he has another good year. This would give him a year to locate some good coordinators and come to Lincoln loaded for bear.   Let Riley coach (twiddle his thumbs) another year, bring in some good recruits then let him ride off into the sunset.  

Thats all I have.

Edited by TonyStalloni
31 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I think this is exactly why we have to have the right system and right coach. The players turnover every 4-5 years. We can no longer stockpile 3 or 4 deep and just keep reloading. The logistics of scholly limits preclude doing it that way. It’s a quicker cycle now. Giving Osborne 20some years to get where we were in the 90’s really is no longer feasible. I’m not saying we couldn’t use some consistency and stability, surely we could. But rather, if a coach is showing no promise within 3 or 4 years now, or in Riley’s case around 30 years in the profession, it can be reasonably assumed that not much is going to change.

I was all for giving Riley a legitimate chance of 3 to 4 years to see what he could do. My problem is, now that we are really getting into his guys and his systems, his offense, we are regressing and getting worse. I see no signs of improvement. The recruiting side of things looks a bit better until you see the results on the field. Recruiting rankings mean nothing if you don’t get the performance and results that they’re supposed foretell. I really thought we were headed in the right direction last year and had high hopes for this season. But we are 5-8 in our last 13 games and the 5 wins have been against perennial doormats. Weve struggled with any team with a heartbeat and get it handed to us by the better teams. I’m sorry but that should not ever be acceptable at NU. We need to be competitive by year 3 of a coaches tenure not continuing to fall even further. I agree that coaches need some time to implement their system and culture and things like our 90’s run are more the result of a perfect confluence and lightning striking but that just isn’t going to happen with Riley. He’s a great guy but he just doesn’t seem to inspire the players and I’ve seen enough to know he isn’t ever going to take this program where it should be. It may have taken TO 20 years to get to that level but those were 20 years of being consistently good with one hell of a track record, many conference titles, and some near misses for all the marbles. I see nothing that indicates Riley is anything more than the .500 career coach he always has been. It’s a shame because I like him and wanted it to work but it didn’t and won’t. I see no sense in blaming the fans who have done nothing but continue to show up and support this team. Unfortunately much longer like this and that will cease to be the situation. I know some believe that will never happen but when you start seeing Memorial stadium empty out in the 3rd quarter, I think it’s much closer than anybody realizes.

4 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

This is it in a nutshell.  Bo's last two classes were not at all great because recruits could already see BP wasn't going to be here very long.  Mike R's first class basically tried to save the kids Bo had committed.  Last years class was ranked pretty high at one point but lost 3 of the very best kids to grades and it slipped to the mid 20's in ranking.  This years upcoming class is strong in WR and DB's but weak in both lines.  Rumors say we have other 4 and 5 star kids willing to be here but time will tell if this class holds together.

We are light years away from being competitive with the OSU, Bama, Penn St and Clemsons.  We are years from having a team capable of going 11-1 or 10-2 in the big 10.  I just watched the 1st qtr of Saturdays game and we maybe have 2 kids who could play in the 2 deep for OSU.  It was like watching a high school varsity overwhelm a middle school team.  

We ask Tanner Lee to direct this offense but we have 3 short, not exceptionally quick receivers who drop too many passes.  A line that while improving probably gets a C grade.  Two TE's who struggle to even slow down a defender let alone block one.  Three backs, one who may never play again, another who is average and one who runs with an attitude but is on the coaches s#!t list apparently and only plays when the other two are hurt.  Give Tanner L some credit for the improvement he has shown the last few weeks and still playing with heart.

We have a defense that is so under skilled and whether that is on the coaches or players or both is up for grabs.  I was sad to see Bob Elliot pass away because now we don't have a coach capable of teaching these kids how to play the position.  We are forced to play 8 to 10 years off the receiver in order to force the other team to throw short to extend the game.  Better to lose 56-14 than 84-7 I guess.  The front 7 mostly played hard Saturday, they were just overmatched with size, strength and speed.  

I have no idea who Nebraska needs for a coach.  Riley looks like a homeless guy on the sidelines looking for a cigarette butt.  Totally checked out and wishing the game was over.  All of our summer enthusiasm is gone and we know we got a lump of coal in our stocking again.  If we want Scott Frost we might be better to go back channels and see if he wants to coach another year at UCF and then offer him a buttload of money if he has another year. This would give him a year to locate some good coordinators and come to Lincoln loaded for bear.   Let Riley coach (twiddle his thumbs) another year, bring in some good recruits then let him ride off into the sunset.  

Thats all I have.

@TonyStalloniI had to quote you just for the bolded (other was good), but that description had me laughing and wanting to cry at the same time.  

• Plus1 1

As much as I like Coach Riley, and what he stands for, but Tony's description is spot on.  A little more fire from him would have helped his cause.  I know Coach Osborne was similar, but the hoodie and staring at the ground says a lot.

I guess in a way he is facing homelessness.  I think he truly felt he could make this better for Nebraska and himself.  Failure for anyone is hard to watch.  I think when this is all over with, there will be a lot of people that will be happy he is gone, but also how he left.  I don't think this stop was about money.  It was chance to have everything to do a job, and he came up short.  I really do not think he will try to stick it to Nebraska.  He won't be renting a gym to destroy the team, he will be telling the kids that they have a chance and to take advantage of it.  Good people do things like that.  I hate to see him leave, but understand why he is going.  I think he does to, or you would not see the down trodden look we see regularly. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, skersfan said:

We are becoming our own worst enemy.  Not all coaches are money based.  If they are they will take the easiest road to the end.  Are we making it look easy to lead Nebraska to what we want.  Like I said it took Coach Osborne 23 years to win a MNC.  That is never going to happen again, but there are some on this board that think we should be able to beat Ohio State with in two years with the talent on board.  I suggest you look at what Ohio State has done since losing to Oklahoma.  

Beat them? s#!t id like to keep it within 21 points #unrealisticexpectatations 

12 hours ago, jauken said:

mediocrity is like a disease.  You have to cut it out and remove it as soon as possible

Mediocrity was 2 years ago, we are way below that now.  We could actually aspire to mediocrity now.  This is no joke.  We are that bad.

Us older Husker fans somehow believe Nebraska football prestige and power is merely ailing.  No.  it is a cold dead body now.  You could roll it over and kick it.  No shot in the arm or heart paddle will help.  It is done, and must be completely rebuilt from the ashes.  Could take years, and in the mean time, set your sights trying to get to .500 next year, to maybe watch some red N's in a bowl.

1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

Mediocrity was 2 years ago, we are way below that now.  We could actually aspire to mediocrity now.  This is no joke.  We are that bad.

Us older Husker fans somehow believe Nebraska football prestige and power is merely ailing.  No.  it is a cold dead body now.  You could roll it over and kick it.  No shot in the arm or heart paddle will help.  It is done, and must be completely rebuilt from the ashes.  Could take years, and in the mean time, set your sights trying to get to .500 next year, to maybe watch some red N's in a bowl.

It will take time. The program has been burnt to ashes by Riley. This is the level of the 1950's when we had losing seasons under Jennings. I am very confident that Coach Frost can come in and breath some fresh air and rebuild this thing. It will not be easy, but it can be done. And I don't want this fake "Calibraska" BS that was nothing but hype. 

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, skersfan said:

As much as I like Coach Riley, and what he stands for, but Tony's description is spot on.  A little more fire from him would have helped his cause.  I know Coach Osborne was similar, but the hoodie and staring at the ground says a lot.

I guess in a way he is facing homelessness.  I think he truly felt he could make this better for Nebraska and himself.  Failure for anyone is hard to watch.  I think when this is all over with, there will be a lot of people that will be happy he is gone, but also how he left.  I don't think this stop was about money.  It was chance to have everything to do a job, and he came up short.  I really do not think he will try to stick it to Nebraska.  He won't be renting a gym to destroy the team, he will be telling the kids that they have a chance and to take advantage of it.  Good people do things like that.  I hate to see him leave, but understand why he is going.  I think he does to, or you would not see the down trodden look we see regularly. 

I agree. I think he gave it his best shot and came up short. I’ve got no animosity towards the man. I think it was a tougher job than he anticipated and that he really believed in his systems and abilities and felt, like I once did, that the thing he had been lacking was resources. For many reasons it is much tougher to accomplish today than it was so many years ago. But it’s obvious more time is not going to change things for Riley. I hope the transition is amicable and that Nebraska fans realize we don’t have to view and treat all former coaches like they are Callahan or Pelini. We can blame higher ups for the lack of vision but I don’t think we can blame this coach for trying but failing.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, FTW said:

So...what's your take on the 25 Scott Frost accounts + the other random coaching account names HB has running around?

Edited by Xmas32