** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

42 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Sure there are differences, but I don't see them impacting what really matters.....winning.  I happen to think our current team has a ton of talent and could win immediately.  Need to build a culture.

i cant imagine what our budget is compared to theirs.

I can't disagree.  With current talent on the team I believe we would have minimum 9 wins with Frost's offense and coaching.  I could see Gebbia or POB making the  UCF QB runs I've seen the past 2 weeks.  Weight isn't an issue since they aren't really touched until 25 yards downfield.  They just need to run out of bounds, straighten their ties and make a quip about the bad guy just like James Bond.  I don't recall one pass where they had to throw into triple coverage so apparently they don't need an NFL arm.  Usually the receiver is 3-4 yards open.  I dont know if UCF has speedy receivers.  I think the offense has so many ways to beat them, the defense gets confused and that is the reason they are open.  The details necessary to run the plays are well coached.  Frost is probably never quoted as saying "we didn't execute".  Building a culture where winning is expected is key.  It's almost embarrassing to listen to Urban Meyer talk sometimes when you realize he isn't talking about professional players.  Winning, giving 100% and no excuses is expected.

If we decide we want Frost, I feel confident we can get him. We can offer more of everything. We can also have Osborne help make the pitch. I don't think there is any way he could refuse a request from TO.

i also heard that he had some kind of clause in his contract at Oregon where there was no buyout if Nebraska came calling. Anyone know if that was true or whether he has a similar provision in his current contract?

36 minutes ago, brophog said:

Their second TD told me more. I say that because this didn't start out as a dominating win, but a possible shootout. Get the TD, but fail on the try. Then Memphis marches down and scores on a drive UCF tackled poorly on. They kept trying to hit the snot out of em and flew by the ball carrier, barely getting arm tackles. Eventually UCF marches down, but has to settle for a FG, then Memphis marches down for what looks like the go ahead TD in a potential barnburner....turnover...then that big run. At that point UCF had taken their punch and returned an uppercut.

Good points but this is what I liked about the first TD. Here's the last play by plays from their first TD drive starting from their 8:

1st and Goal at MEM 5

(15:00 - 1st) Taj McGowan run for 2 yds to the Memph 3

2nd and Goal at MEM 3

(15:00 - 1st) Cordarrian Richardson run for 1 yd to the Memph 2

(8:44 - 1st) Timeout MEMPHIS, clock 08:44

3rd and Goal at MEM 2

(8:44 - 1st) Taj McGowan run for 1 yd to the Memph 1

4th and Goal at MEM 1

(8:11 - 1st) Taj McGowan run for 1 yd for a TD,

Also, 13/17 plays on that drive were runs.  That's a coach that understands what imposing one's will does to demoralize an opponent.  It probably helps that he played at Nebraska. There's a lot of coaching involved to get the players to believe they can do this and actually do it.

Prior to today my thought process was that Frost shouldn't be the top guy on Nebraska's list, but he should make the short list. If the top two or three guys say no, then go get Frost.

I may be changing my mind. Memphis isn't fantastic, but they were undefeated coming into today. They're a solid team from probably the best Group of Five conference. And Frost and co. just beat the $#*+ out of them.

Im not going to rehash all the reasons I like Frost, but today and beating Maryland last week make me like him even more. 

22 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I may be changing my mind. Memphis isn't fantastic, but they were undefeated coming into today. They're a solid team from probably the best Group of Five conference. And Frost and co. just beat the $#*+ out of them.

Every team UCF has played is undefeated.

I think when we get to December, we will have made the most unifying hire we could have possibly made; maybe in the history of the program? I don't know about compared to Osborne, but if UCF runs the table two years removed from being winless, on top of the rest of his resume, I think the fans that oppose him will be few and far between.

Hell, as of right now, I bet he's the coach the majority of Husker fans want coaching the team next year.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic