** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

When Trev Alberts got rid of UNO Wrestling, I was pretty furious. How do you ax a program that has won the championship 3 years in a row? Seemed crazy, and he seemed like the biggest idiot for making that decision.

But then you step back and realize that UNL runs athletics in this state and it probably wasn't his decision to be made. 

Which honestly says a lot about his commitment to UNL.

Nebraska wrestling has finished top 10 since 2014. Not sure if that is coincidence or causation. 

Regardless, I don't think it's easy to find an AD with a proven track record of success when it comes to coaching hires. Typically successful coaches stick around. It's much easier to find ADs with a track-record of failure.

So I've come around. I'm not an expert by any means, and it's likely that there are better options out there that I or most people are unaware of. So take this with a grain of salt, but I'd support Trev.

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

When Trev Alberts got rid of UNO Wrestling, I was pretty furious. How do you ax a program that has won the championship 3 years in a row? Seemed crazy, and he seemed like the biggest idiot for making that decision.

But then you step back and realize that UNL runs athletics in this state and it probably wasn't his decision to be made. 

Which honestly says a lot about his commitment to UNL.

Nebraska wrestling has finished top 10 since 2014. Not sure if that is coincidence or causation. 

Regardless, I don't think it's easy to find an AD with a proven track record of success when it comes to coaching hires. Typically successful coaches stick around. It's much easier to find ADs with a track-record of failure.

So I've come around. I'm not an expert by any means, and it's likely that there are better options out there that I or most people are unaware of. So take this with a grain of salt, but I'd support Trev.

UNO and UNL were in two different hemispheres when it came to recruiting for wrestling.  Even if UNO had kept their program when they transitioned to Division 1 there is a pretty big difference between the caliber of wrestler that Nebraska would be able to land versus what UNO could land.  UNO's roster would've looked a lot like South Dakota State's.  UNL also finished in the top 5 in '03. '07 and '08

3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Yes it will be.  I like that Norvell took over for Fuentes and kept the ball rolling.  I also like his DC, Chris Ball.  

UCF is a slight favorite, and maybe they should be even more of one. The scary thing is, while their offense has been quite productive, it's also made a fair number of execution mistakes...it's not near its ceiling, IMO. Meanwhile, Memphis gives up way too many yards and can't get off the field on third down. This is a big test for Memphis, but they're becoming accustomed to those, aren't they.

13 hours ago, Toe said:

^ ESPN has UCF as a decided favorite: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400985406

It's probably somewhere in between the Vegas spreads and that. UCF presents problems for any data model because they have only 2 games, where most others have 4, and those two games include a huge blowout and a respectable win against a team in Maryland. Furthermore, while Maryland looks pretty good in a dataset, that data doesn't know they're on their 3rd QB.

Should be a good game, though. 

• Plus1 2

@brophog brings up a good point, though. Those are impressive numbers so far but UCF has played two fewer games than everyone else on that list so they're available data is a bit skewed. We'll have to monitor that list as the season progresses and conference play starts.

Scott Frost was born and raised Nebraska.

Tom Osborne was born and raised Nebraska.

Callahan, Bo and Riley was not.   Outside influence.

Wishful sequence scenario, hire Mark Richt.  Unfortunately one year off .... Richt canned in late 2015 (Georgia); Riley hired in late 2014.  Richt was born in Omaha.  BTW, MR Canes and MR Huskers

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic