** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Just now, schriznoeder said:

Did anyone else hear Damon Benning make this prediction this morning?

“How many fans across the country and the state of Nebraska would think that Bill Moos would make a run at Scott Frost without making a run at Chip Kelly first? Anyone? He’s gonna start… If they make a change, he’s gonna start with Chip Kelly. I feel 99.8% confident in saying that out loud.”

(starts at the 15:40 mark)

I heard it this morning, and didn't necessarily disagree with Damon.

11 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Why go after Chip Kelly when he brought recruiting violations to Oregon and/or if he becomes successful here, he may bolt for another University or a Pro team. 

Exactly. Just because DB has a radio show doesn't mean he is informed. Frost's perceived loyalty to Nebraska will put him as the #1 choice. Kelly is a close second, and you'd have to consider the likelyhood of him using NU as a stepping stone.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, austintxhusker said:

You don't think these kids see what's going on?  They know the possibility of Riley being here next year is VERY slim.  It's all over the place.

What is going on? Conjecture, rumor, hearsay. There are no facts at present to back those 'possibilities up. Those of us here think we know what's going to happen but again, it's conjecture, hearsay, rumor.  

Have any of these young men signed on the dotted line or are their commits simply verbal?  Until they commit in writing there is always a chance that they will back out.  

I don't blame them.  Since they haven't truly committed I. Writing they are free to do whatever they want.  That's the beauty of the verbal commit.  

So to answer my original question-you don't know. It's ok. No one else does either.  We have no idea what Coach Riley has said to these recruits. 

2 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Was listening to a national sports talk radio program, and some "expert" they had on thought Frost to Nebraska was a 33% chance, and listed reasons why he might go elsewhere.  One of the reasons he gave was something along the lines of "Nebraska isn't going to be able to pay what he might be offered at these  other schools...."

I immediately discredited everything he said at that point.  Some people don't really understand the financial potential Nebraska really has, and the motivation to pay whatever is necessary for the "right coach".  What we are paying Riley is not an indication of what we would/could pay Frost IMO.  Riley was a discount purchase.

Anyone know the balance of the general athletic fund? I mean how much donwe have? I know its more than most but it would be nice tonhave stats to throw back at people.

23 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Why go after Chip Kelly when he brought recruiting violations to Oregon and/or if he becomes successful here, he may bolt for another University or a Pro team. 

Right, I would say Frost has much higher potential for being a long-term solution for head coach at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Redreign22 said:

Anyone know the balance of the general athletic fund? I mean how much donwe have? I know its more than most but it would be nice tonhave stats to throw back at people.

I have no idea about balance of general athletic funds, but Florida has athletic department revenues of about $140M while NU was at $112M in 2015-16.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-sp-college-athletics-revenue-20170706-story.html

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/nebraska-athletic-department-s-revenue-and-expenses-continue-upward-trend/article_597165c2-627b-11e7-9e50-9f0abdac25a2.html

• Plus1 2

It's kind of hard to argue when some national pundit claims we won't be able to pay what other schools pay primarily because we have never done so.  We've never really opened up the purse strings and paid coaches top of the line salaries.  This time around, we're going to have to unless the powers that be are okay with the direction we're headed. 

5 minutes ago, Redreign22 said:

The Athletic Department is self supporting. They have so much money that they are able to support some academics at UNL. Here's an interesting article on our athletic department. http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/unl-s-self-supporting-athletic-department-contributes-funds-to-university/article_2287c21d-f018-5d75-8a56-0eefe4f9add6.html

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

It's kind of hard to argue when some national pundit claims we won't be able to pay what other schools pay primarily because we have never done so.  We've never really opened up the purse strings and paid coaches top of the line salaries.  This time around, we're going to have to unless the powers that be are okay with the direction we're headed. 

Remember that 'the powers that be' are completely different now than they were just a couple years ago. New AD (2017) hired by a new president (2015) and a new chancellor (2016).

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Our athletic department doesn't have to depend on the university general fund. It is self-funded. I was listening to one of our local sports radio shows a while back and they were talking about that very thing to someone who knew an awful lot about our current financial state. He said NU has. Rey deep pockets. When you consider that one of their boosters is one of the richest men in the world, I wouldn't be too worried about our finances. 

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/news/unl-s-self-supporting-athletic-department-contributes-funds-to-university/article_2287c21d-f018-5d75-8a56-0eefe4f9add6.html