** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

It sure feels like a few more commits are going to decommit, which would also be a very bad sign for Riley.

There are 4 things I look at when considering if a coach needs to go.

a)  Product on the field.  (not necessarily record)

b)  Is the team still committed to him and playing hard?

c)  Do recruits still want to come play for him?

d)  General attitude around program and fan base.

Right now, "b" is the only one he has going for him.  I respect the hell out of the players for that (and Riley himself).  In the final year of Callahan, that wasn't the case.

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I was thinking we might not announce until after the bowl.  So, if we announce at end of reg season, he won't be coaching in the Jan 1 bowl (assumes he gets to one) or we allow him to coach as we did Bo when he was LSU's DC?    If we indeed announce after the regular season, then I think we will have time to salvage the class and perhaps improve it as Scott is the hot name now. 

No way we wait until after the bowl.  This year there is an early signing period 12/20, so you need a coach in place asap to start recruiting to that date.

Personally, I would hope that he would take over right away and not pull double duty like Pelini did.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

No way we wait until after the bowl.  This year there is an early signing period 12/20, so you need a coach in place asap to start recruiting to that date.

Personally, I would hope that he would take over right away and not pull double duty like Pelini did.

Yes, I would agree. I'd prefer that he start immediately - he'd just be doubled focus and that wouldn't be good for us or UCF and their players.   I could see Scott pulling in a better class than what MR was going to pull even before the recent defections.  Hot name, Hot coach, Hot offense - He could sell the NU culture and get those warm weather recruits to Neb to see some Thanksgiving hospitality - and before the cold of Dec and Jan set in!

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

The only way I see that happening with Frost is if the rest of his season has some losses.  If he is undefeated, I don't see him leaving before the bowl game.

FYI....I don't predict them to lose.

Edited by BigRedBuster
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are 4 things I look at when considering if a coach needs to go.

a)  Product on the field.  (not necessarily record)

b)  Is the team still committed to him and playing hard?

c)  Do recruits still want to come play for him?

d)  General attitude around program and fan base.

Right now, "b" is the only one he has going for him.  I respect the hell out of the players for that (and Riley himself).  In the final year of Callahan, that wasn't the case.

Well said. I would add a fifth and that would be their behavior off the field/in the classroom. We've avoided large issues and we've seen some minor ones (the weed arrest, Gerry being ineligible). But, overall, I think he's done a good job in this area.

Jason Peter spoke at the Big Red Today Breakfast this morning (btw, this is NOT the person who told me anything about Frost) and he put it pretty well - looking at this program, it's difficult to see overall progression after three years or understand the vision of where they want to go. Plus, it is reasonable to take Riley's age into consideration and his longevity of being able to build something sustainable. If it hasn't happened in three years when will it? Because, right now, the product suggests they're a long ways away from winning or even competing for a division title.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

Moore, maybe Williams? Who else you thinking Matty? I think we could possibly hold onto the other 8, a punchers chance anyway.

Yes, Moore & Williams.

I also would be concerned about Goodrich (although I think family likes proximity) and Cam Brown.

I think we have a chance to hang onto those guys, but the problem is, all of these other "big fish" we are in on right now, are not going to commit to Riley knowing what is going on. So even if we were to keep Riley, this class could end up rotten.

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What if Frost brings his entire staff? There would be no one left to coach the bowls at UCF. I do not think Frost would do that to the UCF players. What is the answer in this case? Leave half of the staff until after the bowl?

Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

What if Frost brings his entire staff? There would be no one left to coach the bowls at UCF. I do not think Frost would do that to the UCF players. What is the answer in this case? Leave half of the staff until after the bowl?

I'm sure he would not bring his entire staff.  Depending on who/how many he would want to bring a couple of them could wait until after the bowl game.  

But Frost will not be coaching UCF's bowl game this year.  Unless it happens to be a Playoff game but that's extremely unlikely.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

There would be so many fans that were confused at the games!  "Wait...which one is Nebraska again..." 

Let's be honest--many of these same fans would be confused even if we wore our 'traditional' uniforms.

Take that as you will.

• Plus1 2