** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't disagree, but I hope he's wrong. I think Scott Frost is going to be a dandy, and would hate to see Nebraska miss on one of our own.

This is true. We pretty much have the dough to get either but I’ll take the younger one with the Nebraska ties. It’s a glove that just fits a little better. 

24 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Are people really wondering why Moos would prefer Kelly over Frost??? I love SF and want him to return home but look at Kelly's resume, I mean if you are part of the "we need a proven coach" club - it ain't gonna get any better than Kelly. 46-7 (33-3) in 4 years, 3 top 5 finishes, 2 BCS bowl wins and 4 points away from winning a national title. Now I really don't think were gonna get Kelly, but that would be about as big of a splash hire that you could make.

It's not that simple. You want to catch coaches on the way up, not on the way down. 

I think Kelly did a pretty good job on the field in Philly, but he was really beaten down after they chased him out of town. 

He was given a crappy hand with the San Francisco 49ers, but failed to exceed even Jim Tomsula, the unimaginative position coach they threw in the year before. Kelly seemed tired and kinda broken at the end of that gig.

Chip caught lightening in a bottle in Oregon, the perfect storm of talent, imagination and Phil Knight's money.  So although he "proved" he could do that, it's hardly a given he can catch lightening in a different bottle. It's no slight to Kelly or Nebraska to suggest he just might not be a Nebraska kinda guy either.

The young guy with less baggage, more to prove, and the hot hand Chip Kelly had when he was younger may be the safer bet. 

• Plus1 2

38 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Are people really wondering why Moos would prefer Kelly over Frost??? I love SF and want him to return home but look at Kelly's resume, I mean if you are part of the "we need a proven coach" club - it ain't gonna get any better than Kelly. 46-7 (33-3) in 4 years, 3 top 5 finishes, 2 BCS bowl wins and 4 points away from winning a national title. Now I really don't think were gonna get Kelly, but that would be about as big of a splash hire that you could make.

what programs did he take from being a dumpster fire to being on top?  While his record is eye popping, it didnt hurt to have Mike Bellotti build the winning foundation.  

Plus, I'm an Eagles fan (by marriage contract, just as he is a Husker fan, by marriage contract).... He wasn't a fit for either of our favorite teams, IMO.

Edited by FlipPhone
Double post
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's not that simple. You want to catch coaches on the way up, not on the way down. 

I think Kelly did a pretty good job on the field in Philly, but he was really beaten down after they chased him out of town. 

He was given a crappy hand with the San Francisco 49ers, but failed to exceed even Jim Tomsula, the unimaginative position coach they threw in the year before. Kelly seemed tired and kinda broken at the end of that gig.

Chip caught lightening in a bottle in Oregon, the perfect storm of talent, imagination and Phil Knight's money.  So although he "proved" he could do that, it's hardly a given he can catch lightening in a different bottle. It's no slight to Kelly or Nebraska to suggest he just might not be a Nebraska kinda guy either.

The young guy with less baggage, more to prove, and the hot hand Chip Kelly had when he was younger may be the safer bet. 

Appreciate the well thought out answer. I guess my point was since TO we've hired 2 Coordinators, a guy with zero college experience and a guy that in 20 years never won his conf. And now we're thumbing our nose at a guy who has won his conf, won BCS bowls and played in national titles? Young up and comer with a high ceiling = SF. Been at the top of the mountain = CK. Honestly I don't think we could go wrong with either. 

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think he is either.

I don't think Moos is silly enough to go gunslinger like Eichorst. I also think he's well aware of what's gone on around here the last few years and some of the things that Bounds/Green didn't like about Eichorst.

Last, but certainly not least, I think Moos is very aware that interest in Scott Frost grows by huge numbers daily around here. More and more people want him, talk about him, ask Moos about him, etc.

And the best part? It's not all fan hyperbole. Frost seems to have a legitimate shot at being an outstanding coach.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And the best part? It's not all fan hyperbole. Frost seems to have a legitimate shot at being an outstanding coach.

As long as he delivers a nine win season out the gate, epics will be written about him and virgins will be sacrificed in his honor. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Lots of money coming in on Frost to Florida today. Not saying that means anything, but just noticed that 

I know nothing about betting, etc. but as I read this I'm wondering if it is similar to when you go to an auction where some folks bid higher just to get the interest in the piece to increase so folks will bid even higher?  Just curious.