** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

15 minutes ago, runningblind said:

That would be unrealistic, his wife wasn't a cheerleader here so Nebraska isn't "Home" like UT is. Logic abounds in coaching searches.

Don’t forget about Gruden’s son being a current UT student and that mysterious parcel of land that Gruden supposedly owns somewhere in East Tennessee. If he wears an orange tie on Monday Night Football, we will have confirmation that it’s a done deal.

6 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

Don’t forget about Gruden’s son being a current UT student and that mysterious parcel of land that Gruden supposedly owns somewhere in East Tennessee. If he wears an orange tie on Monday Night Football, we will have confirmation that it’s a done deal.

Do you guys really want Gruden? When was the last time he coached football period?  His name always comes up but I don't think he wants to give up his comfortable gig for the grind of college football, do you?

9 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

I'll be on the lookout for tie color!

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

That quote gets thrown around but when did he actually say that? The quote I'm familiar with he also says something along the lines of he wanted to take them to the top of their league. That is what he was building towards so if he were to win the AAC this year he accomplished what he said he would.

But what if they don't? I guess we should all be cheering for him to win tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

I heard Tennessee wants Gruden.

Gruden has already told them he's not interested, from what I've heard. Dan Mullen is interviewing with them after the Egg Bowl. I expect him to be coaching the Vols next year.

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Plus1 1

I remember when Bo was here and wasn't showing much progress I suggested that we should try to get Petersen from Boise. I was politely reminded by the Nebraska contingent that he would never, ever leave Boise -- they had a setup for his ill son (or something like that), and that I was wasting my breath. Later down the road I suggested that we should go after Mark Richt, due his Nebraska ties. Once again, people ridiculed me and told me, "He can't even win at Georgia with all that talent; we don't want him!" Then, when I voiced concern about Riley, I was told, "He worked wonders with literally nothing at Oregon State... just think of what he'll do with our resources!" 

All that said, please Scott, come home.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I remember when Bo was here and wasn't showing much progress I suggested that we should try to get Petersen from Boise. I was politely reminded by the Nebraska contingent that he would never, ever leave Boise -- they had a setup for his ill son (or something like that), and that I was wasting my breath. Later down the road I suggested that we should go after Mark Richt, due his Nebraska ties. Once again, people ridiculed me and told me, "He can't even win at Georgia with all that talent; we don't want him!" Then, when I voiced concern about Riley, I was told, "He worked wonders with literally nothing at Oregon State... just think of what he'll do with our resources!" 

All that said, please Scott, come home.

First of all, congratulations on being super duper smart. And thank you for letting us know how smart you are and have been about all of this.

Although, people didn't say Petersen wouldn't ever leave Boise. We said he wouldn't ever come to Nebraska. Petersen's son was extremely sick and somewhat stuck, but even when he got better, Petersen was never not going to be a west coast coach - he's turned down and sought out jobs before, all of them out west. Outside of a single year as QB coach at Pitt, he's been on the west coast for over 25 years.

As far as Richt, same thing - it's not so much that he wasn't a good enough coach, but there's no reason to think he'd ever come here. He was born in Omaha. So what? He didn't grow up here other than his first 6-7 years - he grew up in Colorado and Florida. He went to Miami. His wife is from Florida. Is there any reason to think he'd be interested in Nebraska, or any reason at all that he has any sort of connection to Nebraska whatsoever, other than being born inside state lines?

• Plus1 4
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

First of all, congratulations on being super duper smart. And thank you for letting us know how smart you are and have been about all of this.

Although, people didn't say Petersen wouldn't ever leave Boise. We said he wouldn't ever come to Nebraska. Petersen's son was extremely sick and somewhat stuck, but even when he got better, Petersen was never not going to be a west coast coach - he's turned down and sought out jobs before, all of them out west. Outside of a single year as QB coach at Pitt, he's been on the west coast for over 25 years.

As far as Richt, same thing - it's not so much that he wasn't a good enough coach, but there's no reason to think he'd ever come here. He was born in Omaha. So what? He didn't grow up here other than his first 6-7 years - he grew up in Colorado and Florida. He went to Miami. His wife is from Florida. Is there any reason to think he'd be interested in Nebraska, or any reason at all that he has any sort of connection to Nebraska whatsoever, other than being born inside state lines?

This is exactly the type of defeatist attitude the Pimpernel was talking about. We are a premier team. We have history, unprecedented fan support, great facilities and fat cash. Michigan fired a guy who won a MNC, then fired a a guy who won the sugar bowl, then firs a guy after three season who improved every year. We should never assume we cannot get a coach.

12 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This is exactly the type of defeatist attitude the Pimpernel was talking about. We are a premier team. We have history, unprecedented fan support, great facilities and fat cash. Michigan fired a guy who won a MNC, then fired a a guy who won the sugar bowl, then firs a guy after three season who improved every year. We should never assume we cannot get a coach.

You throw enough money at a guy, they will come to NU......  I agree about the afore mentioned coaches.  The "whole they'll never come to Nebraska" gets old....Look at Patterson showing interest in 2007. Not the Patterson of today, but still.....

There were a lot of great names mentioned in 2015 when Bo was fired.  Many, IMHO, would have come here...BUT SE went full on lone wolf and got Riley. We all know how that worked out.

If we set the bar low i.e. average or who we "think" we can get, we will be disappointed.  Go for Frost.  Hell call Dabo, Venables, Candle, Moorhead, Stoops.....The list goes son and on.  It is an irrefutable fact that we will miss on every coach we never contact....

31 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Looking at Miami struggles and ours, the fact he went to Miami is a great reason to get Frost here IMO...culture, terrain, expectations etc.....

Of course Randy Shannon didn't work out.  Great DC, but not CEO.  Frost appears to have success thus far as both...

Edited by lo country