** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Adapting to personnel is what excites me about Frost. We haven't had coaches willing to adjust their schemes in a long time, or at least not successfully.  Round hole, square peg gets you nowhere.

And it was playing the Florida schools that taught us we needed to adapt with more speed.

• Plus1 2

57 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Can you expound on this please?

Nebraska benefited from partial qualifiers, larger number of scholarship players, walk on program, strength and conditions programs and being on tv a lot....

There are no longer partial qualifying available, 85 limited schollies, walk on program has suffered since 2003 at NU (some would argue before) S&C is now universal and everyone is on tv and almost 80 teams now go to bowls.  Population shifts across the US have benefited the south and South east. More people, more potential players.....

Parity is larger, look at Boise St, UCF this year, NDSU knocking off FBS teams every year.....

Just my .02. NU can get back.  It just needs the right coach and a little luck.  Winning cures all....

• Plus1 5

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

First of all, congratulations on being super duper smart. And thank you for letting us know how smart you are and have been about all of this.

Although, people didn't say Petersen wouldn't ever leave Boise. We said he wouldn't ever come to Nebraska. Petersen's son was extremely sick and somewhat stuck, but even when he got better, Petersen was never not going to be a west coast coach - he's turned down and sought out jobs before, all of them out west. Outside of a single year as QB coach at Pitt, he's been on the west coast for over 25 years.

As far as Richt, same thing - it's not so much that he wasn't a good enough coach, but there's no reason to think he'd ever come here. He was born in Omaha. So what? He didn't grow up here other than his first 6-7 years - he grew up in Colorado and Florida. He went to Miami. His wife is from Florida. Is there any reason to think he'd be interested in Nebraska, or any reason at all that he has any sort of connection to Nebraska whatsoever, other than being born inside state lines?

For one, much of his family (including his parents) still live here. And no, that's not what I was told about Petersen, nor was that what I was told about Richt. No need to be a smartass.

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Helfrich won't be a coordinator again. Chinander is ok but I'm hoping there is some weight behind the Grinch rumors. 

Personal opinion, but I think he’d take a higher level coordinator job over a smaller school HC gig. He got his shot as a HC because of his performance as an OC, as stated previously on this thread somewhere, it is really hard to consistently win at a smaller school. Be a coordinator at a highly exposed job, up your reputation and then get back it with the big boys. Greg Schiano is a good example of this.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

UCF fans on social media in general seem pretty insulting towards the state of Nebraska and Cornhusker fans.  Do they actually think Scott Frost would think that is cool?

They don't care, he's theirs for now.  And when he is ours they can piss and moan about how big bully Braska bought their coach and now they suck again.

They have been more relevant than us in the last 20 years, they can kindly suck it.

52 minutes ago, lo country said:

Nebraska benefited from partial qualifiers, larger number of scholarship players, walk on program, strength and conditions programs and being on tv a lot....

There are no longer partial qualifying available, 85 limited schollies, walk on program has suffered since 2003 at NU (some would argue before) S&C is now universal and everyone is on tv and almost 80 teams now go to bowls.  Population shifts across the US have benefited the south and South east. More people, more potential players.....

Parity is larger, look at Boise St, UCF this year, NDSU knocking off FBS teams every year.....

Just my .02. NU can get back.  It just needs the right coach and a little luck.  Winning cures all....

+1 one of the most succinct explanations that touches most of the bases that i have read.  Many have tried to express this same thing with multiple paragraphs.  Nicely done.

6 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

Do you guys really want Gruden? When was the last time he coached football period?  His name always comes up but I don't think he wants to give up his comfortable gig for the grind of college football, do you?

In terms of me personally, I would definitely have some concerns about hiring him. I believe he last coached in 2008, and it has been almost 30 years since he has been on a college staff. The upside is it’s not like he hasn’t been around football these last 9 years, and you would have to figure he would recruit very well off name alone. Although he would need to win for that recruiting to be sustained. So he wouldn’t be my first choice but I would definitely take him over a lot of other guys. But overall, yes a good portion of our fan base desperately wants him...he’s sort of become this god-like, infallible coach somehow in people’s minds. To be totally honest, Scott Frost would be my number 1 pick, although I know the chances are incredibly low...I think he either goes to Nebraska or stays where he is. The main thing I don’t want happening is Frost going to Florida...I would fear that combination of coaching and recruiting!

Edited by Vols1891
Just now, Vols1891 said:

In terms of me personally, I would definitely have some concerns about hiring him. I believe he last coached in 2008, and it has been almost 30 years since he has been on a college staff. The upside is it’s not like he hasn’t been around football these last 9 years, and you would have to figure he would recruit very well off name alone. Although he would need to win for that recruiting to be sustained. So he wouldn’t be my first choice but I would definitely take him over a lot of other guys. But overall, yes a good portion of our fan base desperately wants him...he’s sort of become this god-like, infallible coach somehow in people’s minds. To be totally honest, Scott Frost would be my number 1 pick, although I know the chances are incredibly low...I think he either goes to Nebraska or stays where he is.

Does Jon Gruden have a son of brother named Jay? I'm watching the Redskins-Giants game and the Redskins have a coach named Jay Gruden. 

2 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

In terms of me personally, I would definitely have some concerns about hiring him. I believe he last coached in 2008, and it has been almost 30 years since he has been on a college staff. The upside is it’s not like he hasn’t been around football these last 9 years, and you would have to figure he would recruit very well off name alone. Although he would need to win for that recruiting to be sustained. So he wouldn’t be my first choice but I would definitely take him over a lot of other guys. But overall, yes a good portion of our fan base desperately wants him...he’s sort of become this god-like, infallible coach somehow in people’s minds. To be totally honest, Scott Frost would be my number 1 pick, although I know the chances are incredibly low...I think he either goes to Nebraska or stays where he is.

Chucky would be great in Knoxville, man. Everybody else is playing checkers with those endzones, but not Chucky, man.. He plays chess. His football mind is as bright as that orange, man.

• Plus1 1