Weird Time for Christians

4 minutes ago, nic said:

Do you know how many front articles there are on Damar. 

Are you a moderator?

No and no.

But ANY focus on the brave folks praying while the man they are praying for is still in the hospital battling for his life is weird to me.

I think I've been pretty up front on this board that my perception of American Christianity is pretty jaded.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No and no.

But ANY focus on the brave folks praying while the man they are praying for is still in the hospital battling for his life is weird to me.

I think I've been pretty up front on this board that my perception of American Christianity is pretty jaded.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

68 yr old with heart disease having a heart attack, 48 yr old obese male with a high plaque score having a heart attack and a high performance athlete suffering a heart attack from a one in a million type hit to the chest while on video really aren’t the same story at all.  This doesn’t make anyones life less valuable though.  

In a way it does. You cherry picked some bad examples, but Hamlin's heart attack canceled the game, forced the NFL to make a difficult business decision, and interrupted every news cycle -- national and local -- with hours of speculation on one young man's life. As a skilled athlete performing on TV, his life was more valuable than any number of young men who died Monday. That's just the nature of the news. 

The ambulance was right there because fans have off-camera heart attacks at sporting events fairly frequently. 

Live TV made it unexpected theater we shared in real time, but seemingly healthy young men die tragic deaths every day without an outpouring of anything. It didn't really strike me until folks started up with the moral posturing.

I already regret posting this. 

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You cherry picked some bad examples,

Those two are some ofTHE MOST LIKELY EXAMPLES of a heart attack.  The Bills player is one of the LEAST likely examples of a heart attack in an adult. 

11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

d examples, but Hamlin's heart attack canceled the game, forced the NFL to make a difficult business decision, and interrupted every news cycle -- national and local -- with hours of speculation on one young man's life.

You just described why this was more newsworthy than an event that happens every single day, multiple times a day.  

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

his life was more valuable than any number of young men who died Monday

Depends on how you define valuable.  If it’s defined purely by money then sure.  However, His life wasn’t any more valuable than Mr. 48 yr old heart attack victim was to his three kids and wife.  

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, funhusker said:

This is great news!!!

But how does this make "prayer warriors" patting each other on the back less weird?

Not sure I mentioned anything about prayer warriors. Maybe that was in the tweet I posted about Dan and I didn’t notice. You had mentioned that we needed to post about Damar’s progress instead so I did. 

when some people pray it’s a joke…or rote. There are plenty of “evangelists” that are hypocrites. I know people that love Joel Olsteen for example. My gut says he is a “he is a snake salesman”.  None of that diminishes what prayer can do. I don’t know if Dan on ESPN did that prayer for himself or not. It seemed genuine. Not for me to judge really. If it was, more power to him. If it was not, he got his reward as pointed out in the verse some have quoted above.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
6 hours ago, nic said:

Not sure I mentioned anything about prayer warriors. Maybe that was in the tweet I posted about Dan and I didn’t notice. You had mentioned that we needed to post about Damar’s progress instead so I did. 

when some people pray it’s a joke…or rote. There are plenty of “evangelists” that are hypocrites. I know people that love Joel Olsteen for example. My gut says he is a “he is a snake salesman”.  None of that diminishes what prayer can do. I don’t know if Dan on ESPN did that prayer for himself or not. It seemed genuine. Not for me to judge really. If it was, more power to him. If it was not, he got his reward as pointed out in the verse some have quoted above.

It really seems like we’re just talking passed each other.

I never said we needed to post more news about Hamlin.

I never said the guy praying on tv was weird (although I find it annoying)

I simply said folks pointing out people praying for other folks is weird.

Sorry for any confusion.

• Thanks 1