The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Washington actually graded out better according to Pro Football Focus.  

Higher yards after contact, good blocking grade.  Had six runs longer than 10 yards while Ozigbo had three

You just can't give Ziggy his due, can you?:D

I was actually more impressed with Washington yesterday as well. He routinely makes something out of nothing, or gets more than he should. Also had that great block on Martinez run, and another nice pick up in pass pro.... Can't wait to see what he looks like after an off season with Duval.

28 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You just can't give Ziggy his due, can you?:D

I was actually more impressed with Washington yesterday as well. He routinely makes something out of nothing, or gets more than he should. Also had that great block on Martinez run, and another nice pick up in pass pro.... Can't wait to see what he looks like after an off season with Duval.

I liked that Washington showed he can get between the tackles for yards.  He's not one dimensional (outside runner) and isn't afraid to mix it up.  With his size, he is able to get "skinny" at the LOS and make some things happen.  Like you said, another year in the system and with Duval will pay off huge.   IITC, he got here late in the summer so what we are seeing is quite a bit of "raw" athleticism and skill.  

I really like what Oz has done.  Simply looked at the task and requirements before him to play and he worked his a$$ off to get there. Just a grinder in terms of always being the afterthought in the run game until this year.  Really shows the value of putting in work.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:43 PM, brophog said:

It is certainly true the system helps give opportunities. But when talking about Ozigbo, specifically, it's equally important to realize he has no choice in whom the coach is or what system they run. He easily, and understandably, could have been the guy that transferred based on fit. He didn't. He made a very noticeable effort to better fit this scheme. He wasn't the only scholarship back returning this year, but he's the one we are talking about, and he deserves the accolades for putting himself in this conversation.

Yes, could have transferred out,  instead he busted his a$$ to make himself he can be. Bell was recruited to this scheme and could have busted his as too, instead he did transfer-out when things got tough. Attitude and work-ethic matter. 

• Plus1 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:47 PM, Pedro G said:

Oh I don’t know. He is more talented than Correll Buckhalter, who was drafted in the 4th round and contributed in the NFL. He had two seasons with 500-plus yards and one with 600-plus yards. 

Edit: I’m referring to Oz. I think his best football may still be ahead of him. 

I think first three rounds is generous bordering on impractical. I don't think Zig is sniffing the top 5-10 of many draft eligible running back lists and that's even if he stays on his current trajectory. My money would be on a late round or UFA.

• Plus1 2
On 10/22/2018 at 6:44 AM, B.B. Hemingway said:

I was actually more impressed with Washington yesterday as well.

I think it's abundantly clear now that MW has the elite playmaker potential and we've seen flashes to help corroborate the things the coaches have been saying since fall camp. No discredit intended towards Zig, but, there's a substantial difference in their two ceilings IMO.

• Plus1 2
On 10/21/2018 at 8:47 PM, Pedro G said:

Oh I don’t know. He is more talented than Correll Buckhalter, who was drafted in the 4th round and contributed in the NFL. He had two seasons with 500-plus yards and one with 600-plus yards. 

Edit: I’m referring to Oz. I think his best football may still be ahead of him. 

I think Buckhalter's a pretty good comparison, and I think he could've done a lot more in the NFL given a bigger opportunity - seems like he was always the change of pace back. You don't have a chance to be a 1,000 yard rusher if you're topping out at 120-130 carries. Just curious, what makes you say Ozigbo is more talented? I see them as pretty similar, and if Ziggy runs around the same 40 as Buckhalter (4.53) I'd bet he's drafted in the same 3-5 round range. Prior to this year, he was definitely an UDFA and the idea of him running a 4.53 would be laughable - this year has been great for him. Durability and relative lack of carries are pluses as well.

5 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think it's abundantly clear now that MW has the elite playmaker potential and we've seen flashes to help corroborate the things the coaches have been saying since fall camp. No discredit intended towards Zig, but, there's a substantial difference in their two ceilings IMO.

Oh, no question. Washington has the potential to be a 1,000 yard rusher for multiple seasons. This offense will be even better next season imo.... And I'm not sure everyone is expecting that with the loss of Morgan, and Ziggy....

9 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

He proved most of you wrong.  Not all of us.

I like the guy and am happy for his season so far, but Omgosh

With your bold statement, when did he prove you right?  Was it against Michigan?  Against Penn State? Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Iowa?

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, admo said:

I like the guy and am happy for his season so far, but Omgosh

With your bold statement, when did he prove you right?  Was it against Michigan?  Against Penn State? Wisconsin, Ohio State, or Iowa?

Unless you have Chris Angel mindfreak in the backfield, what do you want the guy to do?  Who's going to make a play when they are getting hit in the backfield?  It's been the classic counter argument for Ozigbo's strong games....   Yeah, he did good today, but what about ____________________________________?  How many times can you possibly do that?

I've been torched for 3 years every time I say he's the most complete back on the roster. 

He's too slow, he's out there because this guy is hurt, he can't cut, he gets caught from behind, he'll be buried on roster when we have depth, he fumbles, he can't block.  I will still stand behind my statement from years ago that he hits the LOS as hard and as fast as any back the last 3 years.  His legs don't stop and he has a great forward lean.  It appears as though the conditioning has helped him break away, but to be fair the entire team has benefited from improved conditioning.  Riley absolutely wasted 2 years (sophomore & jr seasons) of this kids career and I'm glad his ability is finally being realized.

Frost has hitched his wagon to this kid and people still act like it's some kind of fluke.  It'll be good when he graduates so I won't get pissed about Ozigbo threads anymore.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1