The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Held says Rahmir Johnson will play in the next two games (which will be four on the year for him) and then they'll decide if they want to shut him down to preserve his redshirt or let him keep going.

If he's going to play, get him ~10 touches.  Anything else is just wasting a game (like the already did twice).

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If he's going to play, get him ~10 touches.  Anything else is just wasting a game (like the already did twice).

Yeah, hindsight and all but it would have been a lot nicer to either have played him more or not at all in those two games.

I get the impression that he'll be on the field a lot more for these next two games.  They want to give him a chance to show what he can do and see if he'll be in the mix the rest of the year or not.  I don't know about touches but snaps sound like they'll be up noticeably.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, hindsight and all but it would have been a lot nicer to either have played him more or not at all in those two games.

I get the impression that he'll be on the field a lot more for these next two games.  They want to give him a chance to show what he can do and see if he'll be in the mix the rest of the year or not.  I don't know about touches but snaps sound like they'll be up noticeably.

It helps that at least in the run game, he's probably the closest we've got to Washington. So a lot of the things we'd been trying to do with Washington will now hopefully go to Rahmir - which would be a significant number, especially if Rahmir doesn't have to sub out because he's getting "banged up."

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Held says Rahmir Johnson will play in the next two games (which will be four on the year for him) and then they'll decide if they want to shut him down to preserve his redshirt or let him keep going.

From a roster management angle, you almost need to play him the rest of the season - that way we don't have 4 fresh rbs next year. That looks like a heavily loaded class to future recruits and the rb position should be an area we should be able to have some success in recruiting. 

My thought next year with Morrison and Scott, you let the best play while the other red shirts. 

Did some research and found this interesting:

In the 2019 class there were 30 RB rated higher than Johnson (247). RS status on those 30 is as follows:

16 already played in more than 4 games. Redshirts already burned. 

12 have played in 4 or less. 

2 had pre-season injuries that they aren't recovered from. 

So already 16 of the 28 non-injured RB's have burned their RS. USC's RB is part of the 12 that haven't and they stated he will burn it, so that would make 17. 

I like our new approach with Rahmir and I hope if he shows anything they'll play him the rest of the year. 

• Thanks 1