Unpopular Opinion

9 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Unpopular opinion: I think IPA's are terrible.  

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

You are correct

Just now, SandhillshuskerW said:

I agree with you. They are terrible.

I used to think that. Then brewers started making much mellower IPA's (sometimes called session IPA's) without that sharp, bitter hop taste. The mellower IPA's I quite enjoy because the complex taste of the beer isn't swamped by the hops.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I used to think that. Then brewers started making much mellower IPA's (sometimes called session IPA's) without that sharp, bitter hop taste. The mellower IPA's I quite enjoy because the complex taste of the beer isn't swamped by the hops.

I might be interested in trying one of those. I think that the main reason I don't like them is because of the bitterness to the taste.

2 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I might be interested in trying one of those. I think that the main reason I don't like them is because of the bitterness to the taste.

They still have a hoppy taste but it's blended with the other flavors instead of being the only flavor. My brother-in-law always gets the mellower ones for me (he was a bartender and still knows a lot of brewers) but I'll try to mention some in the beer thread if I think of them names.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Unpopular opinion: I think IPA's are terrible.  

39 minutes ago, Redux said:

You are correct

32 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I agree with you. They are terrible.

giphy.gif

Anyone who doesn’t like IPA’s doesn’t like beer, not really.

Nothing better on a hot day than an ultra hoppy brew.

Unpopular opinion? The American standard beers are crap. Budweiser, Coors, Miller, even Blue Moon and Shock Top. Garbage.

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Isn't it Yia Yias that has a lot of various beers?  If so, they are not over rated simply because of that.  I've only eaten there once.  But, I was impressed with their beer selection.

I think they do have a pretty big variety, however the first time I went there, this was the exact exchange. 

Yia Yia's staff: "Hi what can I get you?" 

Me: "Can I please have 2 slices of pepperoni pizza"

Yia Yia's staff: "Wait, what do you mean?"

Me: "Just 2 slices of pepperoni pizza please"

Yia Yia's staff: "Hold on." *Leaves* and comes back "My manager says we can't do that" 

Me: "Thanks for your time" and walked out. 

9 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

giphy.gif

Anyone who doesn’t like IPA’s doesn’t like beer, not really.

Nothing better on a hot day than an ultra hoppy brew.

Unpopular opinion? The American standard beers are crap. Budweiser, Coors, Miller, even Blue Moon and Shock Top. Garbage.

I drink beer to be refreshed, not to pretend I'm eating s#!t off the ground during a nature walk.  That said I prefer Yuengling Lager, Lucky Bucket Children of the Corn, Lucky Bucket Wide Eye Stout, Yuengling Black & Tan, Rolling Rock, Michelob, Coors Original, Budweiser, Smithwicks and Yuengling Light.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 3

41 minutes ago, Fru said:

Yia Yia's staff: "Hi what can I get you?" 

Me: "Can I please have 2 slices of pepperoni pizza"

Yia Yia's staff: "Wait, what do you mean?"

Me: "Just 2 slices of pepperoni pizza please"

Yia Yia's staff: "Hold on." *Leaves* and comes back "My manager says we can't do that" 

Me: "Thanks for your time" and walked out. 

I find that super hard to believe. That's their basic cheese pizza with one extra topping.  Why would they tell you they won't give you something that's literally on their menu?

I've been to YiaYia's dozens of times. I've never had an experience like that, and I've ordered off the menu before. 

53 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

You are correct. I haven't had any of these beers willingly in years.  There are too many good brewers out there to drink swill like Budweiser, Coors or Miller. 

That said, I like Blue Moon on occasion, so this is only 87% endorsed.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You are correct. I haven't had any of these beers willingly in years.  There are too many good brewers out there to drink swill like Budweiser, Coors or Miller. 

That said, I like Blue Moon on occasion, so this is only 87% endorsed.

56 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Totally agree.  I really don't drink beer that much anymore because they are such crap.  One trip to Germany and it ruined me on the ones you listed.  If you want a good beer, try the real Budweiser Budvar in Germany.

I'm an amber type beer guy.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

I drink beer to be refreshed, not to pretend I'm eating s#!t off the ground during a nature walk.  That said I prefer Yuengling Lager, Lucky Bucket Children of the Corn, Lucky Bucket Wide Eye Stout, Yuengling Black & Tan, Rolling Rock, Michelob, Coors Original, Budweiser, Smithwicks and Yuengling Light.

Some of those are okay. Hoppy IPA’s are definitely a love it or hate it type of thing. I just like to know I’m drinking a beer and not lightly flavored water. I mean I’ll drink a Bud or Coors if that’s all there is but I prefer better beers. Sam Adams or Fat Tire is about as tame as I’ll get (but I really like those, they’re my go to’s). Also really enjoy wheat beers and hefe’s In the summer.

BTW- the sh#t off the ground nature walk comment made me laugh :lol:

Quick story- one night my brewing buddies and I were bottling an ESB we had made. We were kind of....tipsy. One of the guys stirred the bottling sugar into the fermenter before we dumped the trub. Meaning he stirred up all the solids that had settled out. Nobody else noticed this. About 3 weeks later when we go to try the beer there were big clumps of crap in it. Threw out the whole 12 gallon batch. It tasted okay but just couldn’t stomach looking at it...or having to chew it.

Edited by Comfortably Numb
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I find that super hard to believe. That's their basic cheese pizza with one extra topping.  Why would they tell you they won't give you something that's literally on their menu?

I've been to YiaYia's dozens of times. I've never had an experience like that, and I've ordered off the menu before. 

Not made up.

Despite what some people think, I wouldn't randomly pick a third rate pizza joint in Lincoln, NE to unnecessarily hate. 

He was either messing with me, or pepperoni pizza was too challenging of task. Plus, this didn't help my opinion of them 

http://www.1011now.com/content/news/Health-inspectors-find-rodent--roaches-at-Yia-Yias--471357504.html