Unpopular Opinion

Knappics “ metric asston “ (good one!:P) reference made me think of another one .

I hate the metric system !

I know every other country uses it , and my son explained how it’s better , but I just don’t care . I’ve used the Imperial system my whole life and will cling to it til I’m 6 FEET under. 

Edited by Big Red 40
2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Knappics “ metric asston “ (good one!:P) reference made me think of another one .

I know every other country uses it , and my son explained how it’s better , but I just don’t care . I’ve used the Imperial system my whole life and will cling to it til I’m 6 FEET under. 

I HATE the imperial system. So stupid. It makes absolutely no sense, and most people who prefer it can't name most of the units of measure that it uses. Quick, name the common units of volume! (Answer below.) The metric system is SO much easier, it's baffling that people cling to an archaic system that's hard to even remember, let alone use.

Spoiler

As an example, there's only the liter for volume in the metric system. There's at half dozen common measures of volume in imperial: teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, pint, quart, gallon. Along with some less common ones, just to make things more confusing: fluid ounce, bushel, keg, barrel (and even more uncommon: gill, peck, hogshead). And now that you've remembered (or learned), what are the conversion factors between them?

And even converting between distance cubed and volume units is easy in metric: 1 cubic meter = 1000 liters. Go ahead, convert cubic feet to gallons. And then realize there's 24 conversion factors for 6 common volumes to 4 common distances (inches, feet, yards, miles). Stupid.

Edited by RedDenver
34 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I HATE the imperial system. So stupid. It makes absolutely no sense, and most people who prefer it can't name most of the units of measure that it uses. Quick, name the common units of volume! (Answer below.) The metric system is SO much easier, it's baffling that people cling to an archaic system that's hard to even remember, let alone use.

Hide contents

As an example, there's only the liter for volume in the metric system. There's at half dozen common measures of volume in imperial: teaspoon, tablespoon, cup, pint, quart, gallon. Along with some less common ones, just to make things more confusing: fluid ounce, bushel, keg, barrel (and even more uncommon: gill, peck, hogshead). And now that you've remembered (or learned), what are the conversion factors between them?

And even converting between distance cubed and volume units is easy in metric: 1 cubic meter = 1000 liters. Go ahead, convert cubic feet to gallons. And then realize there's 24 conversion factors for 6 common volumes to 4 common distances (inches, feet, yards, miles). Stupid.

Blah blah blah all I hear is blah blah blah lol 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Well, I for one would like to see us implement metric units in my lifetime.  

Sadly, I don't think America will go metric until I'm dead and buried 1.829 meters under.   

• Plus1 2

I was taught imperial system as a child , a looong time ago lol  I’ve used it multiple times a day since then , thousands of times I’m sure  . I’ve never had a problem with it and have no reason to change .  Maybe hate was too strong of a word , the metric system just just serves me no purpose . 

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

How could anyone hate the metric system?

What's 100 divided by 10?

What's 137 divided by 14?

The nearest whole number for both is 10 :P

The imperial system only seems easier because of familiarity. The metric system is really much simpler and more logical. Heck when I was a kid they made us learn the metric system under the premise that the US would be switching to it any day now. Ha. 

I work with AutoCAD drawings and I absolutely hate it when I get metric drawings. It may be my lack of expertise with AutoCAD but I don't know how to change the units  in my program to metric and the only way I've figured out to be able to work with them is to scale the drawing to convert it to inches. Scale factor 1 divided by 25.4 (if mm). That works, sort of, except it usually totally jacks up the drawing, radius's start flipping the wrong way etc. So I pretty much despise the metric system most of the time. It's only compounded when the drawing is also in German or Spanish but that's another complaint.

Edited by Comfortably Numb
  • Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

The nearest whole number for both is 10 :P

The imperial system only seems easier because of familiarity. The metric system is really much simpler and more logical. Heck when I was a kid they made us learn the metric system under the premise that the US would be switching to it any day now. Ha. 

I work with AutoCAD drawings and I absolutely hate it when I get metric drawings. It may be my lack of expertise with AutoCAD but I don't know how to change the units  in my program to metric and the only way I've figured out to be able to work with them is to scale the drawing to convert it to inches. Scale factor 1 divided by 25.4 (if mm). That works, sort of, except it usually totally jacks up the drawing, radius's start flipping the wrong way etc. So I pretty much despise the metric system most of the time. It's only compounded when the drawing is also in German or Spanish but that's another complaint.

That's an issue with AutoCAD (or your knowledge of it) and not either system. Computer software that has units should be able to convert between them as what's shown to the user doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) the same as the data representation internally. 

26 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's an issue with AutoCAD (or your knowledge of it) and not either system. Computer software that has units should be able to convert between them as what's shown to the user doesn't have to be (and probably shouldn't be) the same as the data representation internally. 

I agree but that doesn't change the fact I dislike dealing with metric drawings. Being in the US, it causes me more work in our more common imperial based system.

59 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I agree but that doesn't change the fact I dislike dealing with metric drawings. Being in the US, it causes me more work in our more common imperial based system.

I understand, but if we joined literally all the other countries of the world in using a better system, then that problem wouldn't happen.