Unpopular Opinion

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Cottage cheese is wonderful.

I love cottage cheese, but there's a lot of awful cottage cheese out there. A local dairy used to make amazing cottage cheese about 10 years ago, but they don't make it anymore. Horizon brand is the only one I've found that's decent.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I love cottage cheese, but there's a lot of awful cottage cheese out there. A local dairy used to make amazing cottage cheese about 10 years ago, but they don't make it anymore. Horizon brand is the only one I've found that's decent.

I only eat whole milk Kalona super natural. It has cultures! First time I tried it I was a little grossed out by the cream top but it doesn't bother me anymore.

Edited by Moiraine
On 3/3/2018 at 10:03 AM, teachercd said:

I don't think small town schools are better.

Do you teach in a larger school? Did you ever go to a smaller school?

I have done both went to larger and smaller and taught school in larger and smaller.  

Both IMO have their advantages.

With larger schools the advantage is obvious, they are able to offer a much higher coarse selection and many more advance/AP type classes.  They also have a lot more club/organizations that students can belong to. The problem as I see it,with larger schools, is that a lot of students don't take advantage  of the clubs and activities they are presented with.  Many do nothing.  

Smaller schools big advantage is that a higher percentage of the student body is involved with the school activities.  A much larger percentage participate in sports, kids do a lot of  different activities instead of maybe just a couple or none at all.    The one big problem with smaller schools is that you have to fit into the school.  Social outcasts/misfits may not find a good experience at a small school because they go against the norm.  At a bigger school those types of kids usually can find someone with the same likes and dislikes.  

I preferred teaching in a larger school because the administration does not have the time to hover over the top of you worrying about how many basketball games you go to or make you sponsor the Jr class so you are in charge of prom.  They expect you to do your job and will pretty much leave you alone if you are doing your job.  As a student I liked going to a small school for HS, but I think I would have fit in fine at a larger school.  

41 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Do you teach in a larger school? Did you ever go to a smaller school?

I have done both went to larger and smaller and taught school in larger and smaller.  

Both IMO have their advantages.

With larger schools the advantage is obvious, they are able to offer a much higher coarse selection and many more advance/AP type classes.  They also have a lot more club/organizations that students can belong to. The problem as I see it,with larger schools, is that a lot of students don't take advantage  of the clubs and activities they are presented with.  Many do nothing.  

Smaller schools big advantage is that a higher percentage of the student body is involved with the school activities.  A much larger percentage participate in sports, kids do a lot of  different activities instead of maybe just a couple or none at all.    The one big problem with smaller schools is that you have to fit into the school.  Social outcasts/misfits may not find a good experience at a small school because they go against the norm.  At a bigger school those types of kids usually can find someone with the same likes and dislikes.  

I preferred teaching in a larger school because the administration does not have the time to hover over the top of you worrying about how many basketball games you go to or make you sponsor the Jr class so you are in charge of prom.  They expect you to do your job and will pretty much leave you alone if you are doing your job.  As a student I liked going to a small school for HS, but I think I would have fit in fine at a larger school.  

Yeah, I have done both...Your last paragraph is really dead on the money.

Actually most of your response is pretty much dead on.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, NUinID said:

I actually liked going to and having my kids go to a smaller school because of this. It forces them it interact and be involved with a wide range of people. They can’t just get in there group of rich kids, poor kids, white kids, minority kids, athletes, artists, musicians....etc. 

Do they always get along or like each other?  No, but that’s not the point. 

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh....and it’s ifiotic that the US hasn’t bit the bullet and changed to the metric system. It’s a million times easier. 

Its been explained how its better and i can see it . Problem is i put gallons of gas in my car , drive mph, in 6 feet tall etc etc etc. and  its been that way my whole life. Other than a 2 liter bottle of pop i cant think of anything i use the metric system for. Do you use it on any kind of regular basis? Anything that makes it worth millions of people changing their everyday lives, to change to it?

2 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

Its been explained how its better and i can see it . Problem is i put gallons of gas in my car , drive mph, in 6 feet tall etc etc etc. and  its been that way my whole life. Other than a 2 liter bottle of pop i cant think of anything i use the metric system for. Do you use it on any kind of regular basis? Anything that makes it worth millions of people changing their everyday lives, to change to it?

It's worth it, old man!

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

It would surprise you how fast you could switch. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It would surprise you how fast you could switch. 

Oh I agree, it would be vastly easier in no time at all. Less than a year and everyone would be wondering why the hell we didn't change sooner. But, as it is now in a predominantly imperial system, the metric system is a pain in the arse. I wish they would've changed to it years ago as they promised us in school. Besides that, there really is nothing wrong with imperial when you know and understand it. I often times have to lookup how many ounces in a gallon or some such thing but it's not rocket science.

• Plus1 1