suh_fan93

What did we learn? - Game 1 - Colorado

I like our running game.  I really hope Martinez's injury isn't serious.  Luke Gifford and Mo Barry played lights out.  I did not like the clock management at the end of the game.

Tough loss.  Still proud of this team. :throwdabones1:

• Plus1 2

I liked what I saw first half. Second not so much. don't like leaving time on the clock in that situation but hey...Going to take time. I like us in  2-3 recruiting classes...

• Plus1 1

WR core needs to catch balls for the first 30 mins of practice. Dropped first by Spielman, pitch, and a dropped TD by Stanley any WR at a D1 level should make. Secondary is still pretty bad outside of Neal. Bell is meh. 

Base D floored me. Shenault was eating our lunch off of that. Should have pounded with Oz out of the 2nd half. Bad personnel calls by keeping Washington and Bell in the game on those short plays. 

Headed in the right direction. 

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Boneheaded plays by players at innoportune times are hard to overcome. 2 dropped TDs from our two top receivers. Turnovers, and perhaps a play by a safety at the end that cost this team dearly and should cost him playing time next week. There’s simply zero excuse for that move, the ball was 10 yards overthrown and turned a 4th and long to a 1st.

ive also reconfirmed that people on this board will never be content. All you throwing a fit need to find a new interest outside of husker football. Already questioning this staff that’s working with a team of players from a prior coach. Relax- it’s 18-22 year olds playing football for Christ sake. 

• Plus1 7
  • Upvote 2

I'm not too upset with the offense, and believe the offense will take a step forward under Bunch. But we had the same damn issue, Lamar I'm looking at you, we had last year. Our secondary consistently struggles.

• Plus1 1

1. Colorado is a better team

2.  Colorado has better in-game coaches

3. i made shrewd bet by taking the under for Nebraska wins this year.

4. the Scott Frost era started with a THUD!

• Plus1 1
  • Confused 11

i learned we have a lot of fire in this team.  it didn't work this week but i like the effort even if the result wasn't what i hoped for.

• Plus1 2

If Martinez is out for any length of time the season is pretty much over . 

Stupid mistakes turnovers and dropped passes allowed the the lesser team to win . 

Over all the team still looks much better than last year . I hope they can clean up the stupid stuff and win some games . 

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

ive also reconfirmed that people on this board will never be content. All you throwing a fit need to find a new interest outside of husker football. Already questioning this staff that’s working with a team of players from a prior coach. Relax- it’s 18-22 year olds playing football for Christ sake. 

Agreed.  Frost was the second coming of Christ but now he's the antiChrist for losing a fun (albeit frustrating) game to watch

About 6 different guys had a shot to make this a 2 possession game late, and ALL failed. Hard to fathom the odds of that. Also, didn't seem to be the beneficiary of many spots or calls. 

Combine that with losing your QB late and it's pretty long odds to the W.

• Plus1 8

4 minutes ago, Micheal said:

I learned that the secondary still is having trouble but hope that improves.

I did see some knocked down passes and a couple that could have been INTs.  I like what they are being taught, work in progress I guess.

• Plus1 1

I believe all Colorado has done is awaken a sleeping giant and have filled him with a terrible resolve. Colorado will lose by at least 35 points next year. This I am sure of. 

Proud of this Nebraska football team. All they need to do is keep working and play for each other. 

• Plus1 5

Front 7 looked pretty good.  Crazy that NU has hit 25% of last year's sack total already.  A couple unfortunate mistakes in the secondary at the end.

Martinez is gonna be a stud down the road.  He made some predictable freshman mistakes.  Lots of Nebraska shooting Nebraska in the foot today.

Shenault from CU is an absolute animal.

Definitely would've been nice to get the first game jitters out of the way against Akron where the early fumbles probably doesn't put Nebraska in a 14-0 hole.

• Plus1 1

I learned that this team has the fire. Now we just got to get the controlled burn going. 

I learned I expected to much. Knew the realities going in, but still got ticked.  Staff and team all need to learn from this and move on.

Hard for any team to over come 3 TO;s.  The fact we didnt quit tells me a lot.  Moving forward a tough loss will help this team more than an easy win.  Adversity builds character.  It will pay off moving forward.   Culture is changing.  Staff told the kids to not be afraid to make mistakes.  Obviously they were not. 

I think when Mo gets some weight, he will be a great one for us.  

No idea why Oz wasn't in during some obvious snaps.

LB's are good

DL very good-just got gassed

Secondary.....I miss Marvin Sanders.

Martinez out-IMHO

A lesson to guys who are second string. You are one play away.  One play.  The snap of the fingers or blink of an eye....

Montez is the best QB we will play all year

A lot of things to improve on. 

On the penalty at the end....make a mistake going 110 MPH.  Can't hate on that.  NU hasn't had a hitter like that since Assante (he was always good for one PI/PF per game)  He also made receivers start to fear going across the middle.  

Can't be mad.  Even year one, new staff, tons of youngsters playing, culture change and tons of miscues this game, they gave it their all.  I said I'd give the team and staff a pass.  I'm passionate, I'm a fan.....it's hard.  But I know we are light years better off than we have been in years.

• Plus1 1

Also I learned that Nebraska has the potential to be quite good. Young and jitters stopped the win from happening today, but it will happen and lots of it.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

While I do think we are improving (a Riley team loses this game by 20), the sloppy football cost us this game.  I called the L in the third qtr and I haven't missed many over the years.  This game was just sloppy and it cost us big. 

I think it was obvious not having that first game did not serve us well as we had no chance to work out sloppy issues and we started poorly.

Turnovers killed us spotting CU 14 points and taking points away from us.

Key drops by our receivers at huge times (one on a TD and another on a huge 3rd down)

The penalties hurt us.  I do think the Reed call was garbage.  He was just using his hands and the CU WR got the flop call.  Should have been no flag.

We didn't do a good job stopping CU on key third downs from them.  

That option play needs to go...I think we lost yards every time we tried it.  

The sacks by our defense were a good sign and glad to see.  Probably the brightest spot of the entire game for us.  

-This team has heart

-This team doesn't give up and go soft when faced with adversity

-Given all the times Nebraska shot themselves in the foot, they still should have won

-We had several good RB's

-Martinez is going to be really really good

-We had 7 sacks in one game against a quality opponent, Nebraska had a total of 14 sacks all of last year.

-Going to be growing pains, but this feels different than the past 15 years of "growing pains"

-The future is bright

• Plus1 3

14 minutes ago, Pasadena Husker said:

1. Colorado is a better team

2.  Colorado has better in-game coaches

3. i made shrewd bet by taking the under for Nebraska wins this year.

4. the Scott Frost era started with a THUD!

Sigh...

• Plus1 2

Front 7 is going to be very good.

Lamar Jackson needs to find a new position or the bench he can't be the best guy.

Martinez is going to be special.

Running backs all looked good.

A little concerned about the offensive tackles.

This game was fun. I saw 2 good teams fighting out there. We saw how good the Cornhuskers could be, and they still have a way to go. I loved seeing the defense record 7 sacks. 

I feel in the next few weeks there will be massive improvement. 

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

While I do think we are improving (a Riley team loses this game by 20), the sloppy football cost us this game.  I called the L in the third qtr and I haven't missed many over the years.  This game was just sloppy and it cost us big. 

I think it was obvious not having that first game did not serve us well as we had no chance to work out sloppy issues and we started poorly.

Turnovers killed us spotting CU 14 points and taking points away from us.

Key drops by our receivers at huge times (one on a TD and another on a huge 3rd down)

The penalties hurt us.  I do think the Reed call was garbage.  He was just using his hands and the CU WR got the flop call.  Should have been no flag.

We didn't do a good job stopping CU on key third downs from them.  

That option play needs to go...I think we lost yards every time we tried it.  

The sacks by our defense were a good sign and glad to see.  Probably the brightest spot of the entire game for us.  

When I saw it live, I was all WTH!!!  Re-play, I agree.  He was coming in and threw his hands up full speed (as he should've been going) pull him into the receiver.  Poor call.  Bam/bam it looked bad, but shouldn't have been called IMO.

A lot to love about the long term.

Center might be a position that needs to get looked at from a pro football focus perspective. Boe Wilson or John Raridon should be gunning for CC's spot.

O-line as a whole needs a little work with how many shots our QB's were taking.

An opener against Akron would have really helped to work out these mistakes.

7 Sacks? These guys were phenomenal.

• Plus1 1

I will start with some positives.

1.  D-Line looked better than I have seen in quite some time.

2.  The rushing attack (when properly used) can be the team's strength this year.

3.  Lightbourn looked pretty good.

The Negatives.

1.  Overall NU was out-coached the entire 2nd half

2.  Special teams looked pathetic outside of Lightbourn.

3.  This team has continued the tradition from Pelini and Riley of too many mistakes (3 turnovers, too many penalties)

4.  Really poor clock management in the 2nd half.

Obviously that this team didn't make any improvements at all and that we're going to go winless. 

If you don't pull anything but that out from the game, I don't know what you watched. 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I will start with some positives.

1.  D-Line looked better than I have seen in quite some time.

2.  The rushing attack (when properly used) can be the team's strength this year.

3.  Lightbourn looked pretty good.

The Negatives.

1.  Overall NU was out-coached the entire 2nd half

2.  Special teams looked pathetic outside of Lightbourn.

3.  This team has continued the tradition from Pelini and Riley of too many mistakes (3 turnovers, too many penalties)

4.  Really poor clock management in the 2nd half.

Getting that badly out coached in the second half was my biggest issue. 7 points after a 200+ yards rushing in the first half is just horrible. I think they got a little to conservative on both sides of the ball.

Put up a prayer boys..   Looks like it could be a long season.   

It shouldn't be since we are paying top dollar for coach, QB and several backs from outta state. 

I think the Texas pipeline has dried up which could be a real problem!  

• Confused 5

Got a long way to go but Frost is going to get us there. Only having 1 scholarship QB this year is a killer. 

Losing the TO battle is still very much a thing for us and has plagued us for 15 years.

I'm going to enjoy watching Frost build this thing, not sweating individual games this year. 

• Plus1 1

Our play calling strategy of just mowing down Colorado's front 7 worked well in the first half. The issue is that it did take a while, but Colorado eventually caught on and stuffed us, preventing us from scoring. Yet we just kept beating a dead horse. And that is what ultimately got our QB hurt as well. You gotta change it up when the defense catches up. Play calling was questionable.

1. We can actually get QB pressure.

2. We have a run game.

3. Ozigbo is the best option to get us a solid 5 yards or convert a 4th down.

4. Martinez will be a very good long term QB for us (assuming he stays healthy...)

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, SandHills Pete said:

It shouldn't be since we are paying top dollar for coach, QB and several backs from outta state. 

Colorado fan, or Iowa fan? 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, SandHills Pete said:

How much did you lose?

• Plus1 1

You guys have to remember we never stood a chance this year. Nobody besides a few unreasonable idiots thought we were going to be contenders. New coaching staff and a young team. Yes we made stupid mistakes and I'm pissed that we lost on said stupid mistakes. But don't act like our playoff hopes are dashed when we had no chance in the first place.