What did we learn? -Game 2- Troy

JJ Husker

59 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now that I’m sober....

LB play is really good.

DL play is pretty decent

DB play is still trash

ST play is still 450

Washington is the best RB but teams are going to figure out that he cuts to the outside a lot and be prepared for that

Bunch is not a good QB.  Not to say in a couple more years of training he won’t be. But he isn’t now and people need to realize Frost and Verduzco are not the miracle QB developers many have made them out to be.

Miracle quarterback developers need more than two weeks.

I think most are keenly aware where Bunch was on the quarterback depth chart.

We're just fine under Frost.

• Plus1 2

12 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I don't know about that.  Bosa's cat quickness isn't by accident.  I found this article https://sports.yahoo.com/joey-bosas-secret-routine-helped-turn-brother-nick-best-player-college-football-161319002.html.  He and his brother are doing dynamic stretching 3 x per day.  He's incredibly flexible and said it helps him turn his hips quicker to get around defenders.  I wondered if that might help our linemen when pulling.  I think it's more than just being strong which we should explore if we aren't already.

Let's not forget Bosa's dad is an ex NFL'er too.  Those dudes have monster work ethic no doubt, it helps when you hit the genetic lotto too.

To stay on topic:

As I'm sure many mentioned, Mo Washington has some serious, serious juice.  He and Martinez are going to be a zone read nightmare in the future.

U 57.5 was absolute lock city

Hard to take much away from the offense as Bunch played like...well a walk-on 3rd string QB.

A year ago most folks were saying that a run-first offense and a QB who could complete 70% of his passes was just what we needed. 

I've seen plenty of experienced first-string Nebraska quarterbacks have much worse days than Andrew Bunch did yesterday. Throwing Bunch under the bus doesn't explain much.

For the last two weeks, Nebraska had some very big penalties go their way, and got away with a lot of uncalled stuff, too. Let's not talk about the officiating. The legitimate penalties are bad enough. 

We've also gotten away with a few fumbles we managed to recover. We aren't snakebit, just sloppy.

As always, the play-calling is great when it works, idiotic when it doesn't, and the play you would have called would have been totally awesome. 

Some people think 9 carries for 27 yards Devine Ozigbo could have fallen forward for that two-point conversation because he was having his way with the Troy defense. It's possible that we're still living in a 1990s daydream.

Add it all up, and it seems to be a matter of discipline and focus. The team can't maintain a rhythm. It's hard to do, because that's exactly what opposing DC try to break, but it's also what a veteran, well-coached team does. 

We aren't a veteran team, and honestly our coach isn't quite a veteran himself. The team appears to have energy and talent and it would be sad and stupid not to assume they can get better every week.

The team has screwed up the Scott Frost love-fest that was waiting to explode, losing two games we were desperate to pencil in on the win column. As bad as the reaction is on this board, it's hard to imagine any coach we would have kept or hired not getting it worse.

Don't know how far this particular team can go, but I'm definitely interested in watching them gel and find their rhythm. I actually expect them to give Michigan fits and wouldn't be shocked if they won.

There's too much of the season left to be this cranky. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

I learned that three weeks ago, two weeks ago, hell even this last week I havent been this excited for Husker football in a very long time. After this last game, Im just ready for the season to end already. Feels like I did last year and its not a good feeling. 

I kind of get what you mean.   I'm anxious to see how the team responds at Michigan.  A win there would be a huge boost.  I'm afraid with another loss everything will just spiral out of control.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Now that I’m sober....

LB play is really good.

DL play is pretty decent

DB play is still trash

ST play is still 450

Washington is the best RB but teams are going to figure out that he cuts to the outside a lot and be prepared for that

Bunch is not a good QB.  Not to say in a couple more years of training he won’t be. But he isn’t now and people need to realize Frost and Verduzco are not the miracle QB developers many have made them out to be.

The OL sucked from the first snap.  Bench them all and play someone else.  Can’t get much worse than that

Receivers need to help their QB.  It’s the only way we will possibly see even 1 win this year

These coaches will not clean up penalties. It’s not what they do.

These coaches took a lot of public shots at the last coaching staff.  Everyone loved it.  What did they get from it?

This is a pretty good take. I would put a little more on the LB and say they had a good game but some costly mistakes.

The only thing I disagree with is the QB discussion. Frost made it clear in his post-game presser that they designed a really conservative offensive game plan. All week, Frost and Austin were saying the game will rest on the OL's shoulders not the QB. In the first quarter, this played out to be true. Bunch was really only asked to hand the ball off with little RPO. The game plan seemed to be one-dimensional where Nebraska was asking their OL to beat Troy's DL. It did not. Now, Bunch may not be an electric QB, but he was not asked to be.

I think Frost took a calculated risk to come out with this game plan. The OL could not do its assignment, and that lead to the offense looking inept.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Didn't want to create a new thread for this and didn't know where to put it.

Another thing that was incredibly frustrating to be honest was Young's play on their final touchdown drive. Here's the first play. Gifford's on the edge on the left side of the line. The way Young bites to the right of the field instead of staying home is seriously so hard to watch:

15371194361033026.gif

The second play (their touchdown) isn't quite as bad because he does get blocked, but the whole defensive effort is just bad and not smart:

1537119783115510.gif

Need to play in space better in conference play. It seems to have been the motion man both times that got us off of our assignments. 

Hard to watch! We really needed Mo Barry on this drive, IMO.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

11 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've seen plenty of experienced first-string Nebraska quarterbacks have much worse days than Andrew Bunch did yesterday. Throwing Bunch under the bus doesn't explain much.

I'm not throwing Bunch under the bus because there was plenty of blame to go around.

But he was bad.

6.6 yards per attempt would be good for about #100 in the nation so far this year.  His completion percentage was decent but that doesn't really tell much of the story - the YPA shows that most of the ones he did complete were short/easy passes.  Not many that really moved the ball down the field unless the receiver made YAC, such as the swing passes to Spielman.  And his completion percentage would have been worse had he made a couple basic QB decisions such as throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds taking a loss.  He threw two picks and could easily have been a third had Troy not dropped it.  

I really wonder if a couple of his terrible throwing decisions early led Frost to go even more conservative that the already conservative game plan he went in with.

He was in a bad spot where he hadn't gotten a lot of reps/development time during fall camp and is now playing catch-up.  

But he was a below-average QB on Saturday.

9 hours ago, Undone said:

Didn't want to create a new thread for this and didn't know where to put it.

Another thing that was incredibly frustrating to be honest was Young's play on their final touchdown drive. Here's the first play. Gifford's on the edge on the left side of the line. The way Young bites to the right of the field instead of staying home is seriously so hard to watch:

15371194361033026.gif

The second play (their touchdown) isn't quite as bad because he does get blocked, but the whole defensive effort is just bad and not smart:

1537119783115510.gif

Need to play in space better in conference play. It seems to have been the motion man both times that got us off of our assignments. 

Hard to watch! We really needed Mo Barry on this drive, IMO.

I mentioned both these plays in another thread.  It was pretty obvious watching it live that he had no clue what was going on

• Plus1 2