When will the penalties stop?

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Sometimes I wonder if Martinez’s scrambling ability and forces to line to try to maintain their blocks a little longer and they make mistakes. It also looked like he wasn’t making quick decisions tonight, which leads to holding penalties, as well. 

Next year I predict he'll have that killer instinct for when to take off, when he can turn it into a 6-10 yard run instead of holding onto the ball.

All I can say is right now I'm glad he's staying calm and keeping his eyes downfield. 

Jaimes, Farmer, and Wilson have actually looked good this season. Foster and Farniok honestly just don't look very strong and don't get good enough leverage to actually use good form to man up on their guy. I still have hope for Farniok but he needs to get stronger.

Just now, Undone said:

Next year I predict he'll have that killer instinct for when to take off, when he can turn it into a 6-10 yard run instead of holding onto the ball.

All I can say is right now I'm glad he's staying calm and keeping his eyes downfield. 

Jaimes, Farmer, and Wilson have actually looked good this season. Foster and Farniok honestly just don't look very strong and don't get good enough leverage to actually use good form to man up on their guy. I still have hope for Farniok but he needs to get stronger.

Agree that Martinez’s decision making will improve a ton. It is great to see him calm in the pocket. 

2 hours ago, secretasianman said:

Majority of the penalties tonight were for offensive holding .  That’s a clear sign of a physical mismatch.  

Yep.  We're still trying to catch up physically in the S&C and we have almost no depth across the roster.  Those things seem small, but as we saw tonight, it makes a huge difference on the field and in the final score.

We will continue to offensive line penalties as long as our offensive linemen are fat, slow and out of shape working against defenders who not.  They get beat on the line and use their arms instead of their feet to stay with the block.  

We have heard the commentators state that our players are gassed and breathing hard with their hands on their hips.  They saud it in the first quarter of this last game.  

Being 330 is worthless unless you can move that mass faster than the 200 pounders coming at you.

1 hour ago, URSS said:

We will continue to offensive line penalties as long as our offensive linemen are fat, slow and out of shape working against defenders who not.  They get beat on the line and use their arms instead of their feet to stay with the block.  

We have heard the commentators state that our players are gassed and breathing hard with their hands on their hips.  They saud it in the first quarter of this last game.  

Being 330 is worthless unless you can move that mass faster than the 200 pounders coming at you.

310 was there (Wisconsin) average weight on the defensive line......i guess they are quick with better foot speed?

I'll have to watch the replay of the game but it looked to me at least on one of the holding calls that the defender realized he was not going to get to AM in time and clamped down on Farnioks arm then fell to the side to make it look like a hold.  The flag came out immediately.  I know DL players are taught to make it appear like a hold. Obviously not all the holding calls were for this reason.....but I remember that particular one.  Plus I saw Wisky hold at least twice in the first half that weren't called.

• Plus1 2

I heard something this morning on the radio i like about the holding. Vrzal mentioned when Wisconsin holds they keep their hands inside and have the defensive lineman by the armpits, but when Nebraska holds they do it outside of the shoulders which is more obvious. 

I don't know jack about what it takes to play offensive line but that sounds like poor technique. Hopefully thats something the coaches can fix with more time and their guys.

• Plus1 1