The Angry Violent Right

50 minutes ago, commando said:

it actually isn't that either.  it's more about a small segment of society that is really wanting to show off their guns, confederate and nazi flags, and signs promoting lynching their mayor.   call them stormtrumpers. 

While there are fringe elements of every group, from both right and left, I think you will find a lot of these folks consider themselves patriots, and racism is not involved/implied. Check out the basic tenets of the III%ers, which has members from many ethnic groups btw...and others militia movements. Not saying they are right or wrong, but they are not all nazi stormtroopers either.

(and they wanted to lynch the Governor, not Mayor I think...)

• Plus1 1

Just now, DevoHusker said:

While there are fringe elements of every group, from both right and left, I think you will find a lot of these folks consider themselves patriots, and racism is not involved/implied. Check out the basic tenets of the III%ers, which has members from many ethnic groups btw...and others militia movements. Not saying they are right or wrong, but they are not all nazi stormtroopers either.

(and they wanted to lynch the Governor, not Mayor I think...)

oh...well if it's just the governor and not the mayor ......lol

• Haha 1

Trump  and yes Putin are pulling the strings.  Trump's liberty tweets combined wt what Russia has continued to do to stir up unrest are leading to this.  There are too many 'patriots' (I would call them something else) that think they are bigger than society, govt and that they represent the true American ideals. Not much diversity in that crowd.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

I think you're both right.

Clearly there are some good, honest conservatives there who were just worried about their way of life being disrupted and wanting to get back to work and resume normal life.

But you're fooling yourself if you don't think these protests are also an astroturfed movement like the Tea Party with the strings being pulled by pro-Trump forces. There were lots of militia members and hardcores just looking to stir up trouble there. I found the signs about tyranny (particularly the one calling for hanging) pretty absurd and gross.

If this movement was totally organic and wasn't astroturfed, you wouldn't see grifters like Alex Jones or the Proud Boys rolling in from out of town to support them.

I agree. There's a lot of people with ridiculous motivations in these protests but there are also a lot of people who have lost their jobs and are being told not to go out while simultaneously not being financially supported.

At some point people are just going to ignore the stay at home orders because they can't survive. And it's clear neither party (except a tiny minority) wants to do anything. Heck, Pelosi wasn't even considering rules changes to allow the House to return or work remotely until last week. And now she's called for a committee to look into it.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

At some point people are just going to ignore the stay at home orders because they can't survive. 

That point is already right now for some, and will be for more, and turning them into a condescending meme of "I NEED TO GET MY NAILS DONE" isn't helpful.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

That point is already right now for some, and will be for more, and turning them into a condescending meme of "I NEED TO GET MY NAILS DONE" isn't helpful.

True, but let's not mistake the protesters wearing bulletproof vests and carrying guns for the ones who need financial help.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Ha...never ever have I seen that guy before.

He's the jacka$$ radio personality that makes up conspiracy theories.  He promoted the idea that the Sandy Hook school shooting was a government created lie so Obama could promote gun control.  Yep....all the families and officials were actors working for the government and the shooting actually didn't happen.