What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

To be fair, surprise onside kicks aren't quite the same as a regular onside kick

To be fair, Caleb also kicked the last squibb kickoff before the half out of bounds. 

And no, it doesn’t appear intentional, if the immediate ScoFro reaction shots are to be believed. 

10 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

To be fair, Caleb also kicked the last squibb kickoff before the half out of bounds. 

And no, it doesn’t appear intentional, if the immediate ScoFro reaction shots are to be believed. 

The squib was bad. Reason why you shouldn't trust him to pull off a surprise onside. If he was actually trying to kick it deep then he shouldn't ve doing KO anymore but I find that highly unlikely. He was trying to onside it. But honestly it doesn't matter that much. Unless he was trying to kick deep that is lol

40 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

You didn’t have many losses to pick apart and be miserable about- the way a childhood should be.

That pretty much my point.  It was more understandable to expect to win every game, and pick apart every loss when NU was one of the best programs in the country.  That’s not the case anymore. Yeah, that fact sucks, but I don’t get how someone can expect a victory every week, considering the state of the program the past 20 years. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It was more than the botched kickoff that hurt us on special teams.  The blocked punt cost us 9 points basically.  Then, you have the 30 yard punts and not knowing when to field a punt or fair catch a kickoff or not.  We also have a FG kicker that we can't trust to make a 40 yarder.  I don't feel like special teams will get fixed this season.

I disagree that the block punt cost NU 9 points. It cost NU 2 points. Ohio State got the ball at pretty much the same field position they would have after an Armstrong punt. Ohio State was going to move the ball on NU regardless. Yes, those 2 points were important throughout the game, but it wasn’t as big as you make it out to be. 

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I didn’t think Nebraska got out athleted today. OSU is generally the standard when comparing talent, and while they’re clearly in a down year, I think NU’s skill guys are more athletic than their skill guys.   That should bode well in the coming years. 

I didn’t see this at all. OSU looked generally much faster than our D. Chin needs to get rid of the Tre Neal jumbo package as that kid gets mowed every time. 

We we have some talent, some guys we need to move on, and tons of hope for the future. We’re out scheming defenses, and the offense has outpaced the defense in progress. 

If we can get a stud at all three defensive layers, a flat out speedster as a receiver, and the O line more consistent...watch out. 

I also would like to see more athletic length; rangy kids that are fast that we can bulk up. 

Summarizing a four page thread destined to grow even more.......

• Moral victories are for losers.
  • 2-7
  • You're not smart enough to understand what I'm saying

Versus

• Can you not see the progress the team is making?
  • Flipping the culture takes time
  • You're not smart enough to understand what I'm saying so I'll repeat myself

Me:

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It was more than the botched kickoff that hurt us on special teams.  The blocked punt cost us 9 points basically.  Then, you have the 30 yard punts and not knowing when to field a punt or fair catch a kickoff or not.  We also have a FG kicker that we can't trust to make a 40 yarder.  I don't feel like special teams will get fixed this season.

How does a blocked punt cost us 9 - Basically?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

I actually have no issue with that kick going OOB.

First, it was about as much bad luck as anything.  Usually those kicks bounce end-over-end and hop down the field.  That one happened to lay over so it rolled much farther than would usually be expected.

Second, I actually said before he even kicked it that we should just kick it out of bounds and not even take a chance with them returning it.  There were only 15 seconds left in the half.  Even getting the ball at the 35 they only had 2-3 plays to get into field goal range.  I'd take those odds much better than trusting our coverage (this year).