*** Official Illinois Game Thread ***

suh_fan93

1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And the high throws are hanging our receivers out to dry

I’m wondering if he’s getting it in his head where he’s going with the ball before the play even starts. Sometimes, even if he makes the throw, he usually had a better option of where to put that ball. 

We're down against Illinois, yet Nebraska Jr. whipped Michigan with 350 rush yards and 47 mins of TOP with zero turnovers. I get that the finesse spread offense works for the Ohio State's, the Oregon's, etc. Just feel like on offense, we have no identity. On paper, it appears they want to be balanced. Our best recruiter is Ryan Held and he usually ranks in the top 40-50 in recruiter rankings. To me, that isn't good enough and it's beginning to show.

1 minute ago, KCBuc said:

Look at year 4-5 with Frost’s guys. Make the determination then. Not year 2. Players can get stronger and faster from freshman to senior seasons. Gain better understanding of the scheme. If they still suck after then, it’s a coaching fail or injury.

Agreed, but that's not the point.  Kids can get stronger and in better cardiovascular shape in months, not years.  People still blaming Riley for out of shape players are clinging to excuses.  These guys have had plenty of time to get into shape and haven't even though the media has told us time and time again how much better these guys look in shorts.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Look at year 4-5 with Frost’s guys. Make the determination then. Not year 2. Players can get stronger and faster from freshman to senior seasons. Gain better understanding of the scheme. If they still suck after then, it’s a coaching fail or injury.

We're not to expect anything from the O-line for another two years?  I'm out

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

We're down against Illinois, yet Nebraska Jr. whipped Michigan with 350 rush yards and 47 mins of TOP with zero turnovers. I get that the finesse spread offense works for the Ohio State's, the Oregon's, etc. Just feel like on offense, we have no identity. On paper, it appears they want to be balanced. Our best recruiter is Ryan Held and he usually ranks in the top 40-50 in recruiter rankings. To me, that isn't good enough and it's beginning to show.

Yes and no.  I think some of our talent issues come from the fact that a lot of players quit and Frost ran some off.  It is what it is.  

4 minutes ago, FTW said:

I'm with you.  More of a hammer meets nail kind of guy when it comes to what offense I'd like to see us run.  People talk about Wisky never wining anything of consequence with their O, but NU did just fine with it....Get some key skill guys and go back to being NU.

Physical, tough, mean.  Disciplined.  Technique and sound in the basics.  Excelled at the basics.  "Limited play book" from multiple formations.

FIRST HALF OBSERVATIONS:

• Nebraska's offense so far this year is Boom or Bust, there is no in-between.
  • Great play calls with the designed direct snap to Washington. Similar to how Osborne used to call the same play to Phillips.
  • Adrian Martinez is at least 2 steps slower than he was last year. He is either slightly hurt or he just put on too much lower mass this offseason.
  • JD Spielman & Maurice Washinton are TOUGH-AS-NAILS.
  • The penalties were our own worst enemy.
  • Noa might be a good receiver, but you have to catch that ball.
  • Illinois' defense while simple with it's Tampa-2 cover shell, are well coached, and tackle extremely well.

Things I'd like to see in the 2nd Half:

• This offense needs to start getting tweaked. We're not UCF going up against American Conference defenses, and we're not Oregon either. We are going up against big, physical Big 10 lines. This offense cannot live off of being Boom or Bust. It must begin to transition to find a way to get consistent yardage when it needs it the most.
  • Keep opening up the playbook Coach Frost. The players were playing faster and with more confidence towards the end of the half when the playbook started to open.
  • He might be shorter...he might be slower, but I would replace Noa with Kade Warner.
  • If there is something wrong with Adrian and he can't get the yards we need via his legs, than abandon the read-option game.
  • If Maurice Washington cannot come back into the game, than trust the O-line, and ride with Mills. Look for the Tight-Ends to be open in the 4th.
  • Plus1 1