Alienation

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Preserving redshirts ain't easy. Those freshman can lose you the game too with inexperience. I loved the way he played but think about Garrett Nelson losing contain multiple times. Now multiply those type of mistakes by a few different positions and you quickly have a mess on D.

How many red shirt candidates are on the 2 deep? We don't need to go burning red shirts to get others an opportunity for players that haven't "bought in."

19 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Here's my deal, a lot of this "hasn't bought in" is B.S.

If guys that aren't "bought in" and are still playing ... why? Why not bench them and give another kid a shot? All you are doing by continuing to play them is reinforcing that behavior. Further, benching someone who isn't performing and not bought in will expose their character - will they work to gain their spot back or roll over and call it quits!?

Frost is our guy, but I'm not entirely buying the excuses he is giving us. Yes, I agree that talent isn't where it needs to be, but the coaching has been sub-par as well. Put simply, IF GUYS AREN'T BOUGHT IN BY NOW THEN BENCH THEM!

The problem I see with this argument is that there is no argument in many positions as far as depth and alternatives. There are none. There is no depth. There are no serviceable Jr/Sr backups at LB or DLine or O line. So, when you say play somebody else, you are saying play Freshmen and Sophomores. That solution is fraught with issues as well, among them being even if those guys are more talented, they are young and will make mistakes and the games will still be ugly and everybody will still be frustrated. The other thing to consider is, throwing in young talented players before they are mentally or physically ready can do more long term damage to them than good. A few snaps here or there, maybe not. But putting them in the fire and letting them get burned over and over isn't good for the athlete either. So, in some places, Scott is literally stuck between a rock and a hard place for now. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, bugeater17 said:

How many red shirt candidates are on the 2 deep? We don't need to go burning red shirts to get others an opportunity for players that haven't "bought in."

I'd say alot. Either that or their spot in the 2 deep is being held by a walk on (thinking safety) as to not get into a redshirt burning situation. 

18 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

This is one of the more laughable things I’ve seen being thrown around this year. Are there players that don’t care? Sure, there are. But simply caring doesn’t make a team good. 

No it doesn’t but caring stops a bad clip (noa in mn game), caring means in yr two of system you line up correctly (mw negating a first down), caring means maybe you get 1-2 3rd down stops and it’s game over.  Caring is maybe instead of vedral running the guy down at the three from the ground another player who was upright runs him down at the 50 and we hold for a fg.  Caring gets some semblance of pass rush.  Any of these things put together possibly turn a loss into a win.

• Thanks 5
15 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

The problem I see with this argument is that there is no argument in many positions as far as depth and alternatives. There are none. There is no depth. There are no serviceable Jr/Sr backups at LB or DLine or O line. So, when you say play somebody else, you are saying play Freshmen and Sophomores. That solution is fraught with issues as well, among them being even if those guys are more talented, they are young and will make mistakes and the games will still be ugly and everybody will still be frustrated. The other thing to consider is, throwing in young talented players before they are mentally or physically ready can do more long term damage to them than good. A few snaps here or there, maybe not. But putting them in the fire and letting them get burned over and over isn't good for the athlete either. So, in some places, Scott is literally stuck between a rock and a hard place for now. 

There is no depth because the staff has chosen not to rotate. And no serviceable backups on the Oline - you are wrong. Bando came in and did a heck of a job spelling Hixon. Why not get him more reps? He's the only one we've seen get a shot. Will Farniok came in and performed early in the season at C. At D line - why the Davis twins continue to get more reps the Stille is beyond me. Thomas needs more reps as well. At LB, Joey Johnson looked damn good in the spring but hasn't sniffed the field this fall. However, i'm not at practice and not seeing the effort at practice - admittedly.

But the point of my post is there are plenty of guys in the 2 deep that are available without burning red shirts if "buy in" is truly the problem. Continuing to allow those players who haven't bought in playing time is BS if you aren't going to hold them accountable.

14 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd say alot. Either that or their spot in the 2 deep is being held by a walk on (thinking safety) as to not get into a redshirt burning situation. 

The only player on the 2 deep we are trying to red-shirt is R Johnson. You could make a case that Green on the Dline isn't there bc of a red shirt. However, at Safety the freshman are pretty buried and Newsome has already burned his RS playing on special teams, so no reason he doesn't see some action somewhere in the backfield. 

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

No it doesn’t but caring stops a bad clip (noa in mn game), caring means in yr two of system you line up correctly (mw negating a first down), caring means maybe you get 1-2 3rd down stops and it’s game over.  Caring is maybe instead of vedral running the guy down at the three from the ground another player who was upright runs him down at the 50 and we hold for a fg.  Caring gets some semblance of pass rush.  Any of these things put together possibly turn a loss into a win.

It's hard to get a pass rush when we have 3 dt on the line at the same time (Daniels and the Davis twins). 

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Maybe he should watch the part in Remember the Titans where coach threatened to break his foot off in the player's butt, and then make them run a mile.

The coach in your show held players accountable for their mistakes. Or are we forgetting that part of the movie because it's inconvenient?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My favorite all time movie. 

1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

I just want to quite this so it shows up again when people read this thread. Spot on.

3 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

The coaches can only do so much. You can blame yourself all you want, but the bottom line is players also have to execute. He's not saying anything that isn't true. We need a better pass rush. He could've taken multiple siestas with the time he was given. The lack of a pass rush also causes issues for our DBs/LBs when they have to cover 6, 7,8, 9 seconds. It's not an easy task.

Great point.  What do we have, 8 sacks total on the year or something like that?  Against Indiana did we even have any pressures?  I'm assuming yes but man it seemed like hardly.

All the talk is great by the players, but Barry, Jackson, Farniok & Others need to quit tweeting and show it on the field.  I agree with Frost, as the talent is not here and I believe that Riley's recruits for the most part are mentally soft.   I would rather hold guys back and lose to make us better in the near future.   Maybe not this week, but soon I think we will start to see some of those younger players.