Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Vokalek should emerge as the play-making TE which the team has been lacking.  I know Chris Hickman is officially listed as a WR, but I still think he can be a hybrid player where he can line up as a "tight end" in some formations, as Frost prefers to limit substitutions within a drive.

I couldn't remember if he was a TE or WR. Hopefully he can contribute.

We really need to land Thomas Fidone.

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I lived in downtown Minneapolis at time he was a junior/senior we were recruiting him.  He was MN ‘s best player basically.  Take about 10 degrees off the Lincoln temp - year-round and add about 3 feet of snowfall.  Snowmobiles are used alot!  

Exactly!  Fun stuff to do!!

and I really don’t think it was a cold weather issue. I think it was more of ongoing dissatisfaction for JD that maybe stewed for awhile and it was easier to start fresh. Because he got a waiver so quickly leads me to believe that there was some negotiation between the University and the NCAA and the Speilmans. Like he couldn’t go to a BIG school.   I think TCU is a good fit and I will always root for him. 

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Fleck basically overtook a Jerry Kill program.

Frost took over a Mike Riley program.

Kill knows how to build a program 

Mike Riley knows how to do more with less.  Allegedly.

Kill knows how to build a program, Riley knows how to kill a program.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Toe said:

Kill knows how to build a program, Riley knows how to kill a program.

Riley was a mistake from the jump. Mr .504.............Even with my disdain for him, our record isn't any better.......Yet.  And that's what's so painful.  We have a long way to go.  Day by day....

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Riley was a mistake from the jump. Mr .504.............Even with my disdain for him, our record isn't any better.......Yet.  And that's what's so painful.  We have a long way to go.  Day by day....

I truly think "yet" is the key word.

I really like what the staff is doing, especially on the OL.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

I truly think "yet" is the key word.

I really like what the staff is doing, especially on the OL.

I agree.  Still hoping we have some type of season.  Was extremely excited to see how we look this year.  I really don't expect some amazing changes in the W-L column, but I really think we finally look like a good football team.  

This staff has done a great job getting kids in.  Really excited to see Austin's DNA in the run game...

9 hours ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

Blame Eichorst.  Don’t blame Riley.   He delivered to UNL what he has his whole career, .500 ball.

Eichorst aimed low when he terminated Bo.    He went out and got Pelini’s antithesis.   That is where you should lay yout frustration.  My opinion anyways.

Pearlman actually.  Eichorst was a pawn.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Most of my friends have admitted they had to google Riley when he was hired... who am I kidding, I had to google him as well. :facepalm:

I remember making the "Hello Mike Riley" thread when he was announced and had to google him, too.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Most of my friends have admitted they had to google Riley when he was hired... who am I kidding, I had to google him as well. :facepalm:

I was familiar with him because I remember watching him beat USC a couple times.  But I didn't realize he was that old when we hired him.  Not that that has to be a problem but it was pretty obvious that he wasn't a long-term solution at the very least.

But I do give myself credit for a post in the "who are we going to hire" thread.  After people had been throwing out names for hundreds of posts I said "why do I get the feeling that we're going to end up with someone we barely know about and is pretty underwhelming" or something to that effect.  Sorry to be right about that one.

• Plus1 3