Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

34 minutes ago, kansas45 said:

Can you explain California and their Shutdown 2.0? 

1. I’m not an epidemiologist. It’s not my job to explain why the virus is spreading the way it is. 

2. From what I googled it appears the explanation is that they reopened their economy too early, people gathered at indoor locations without wearing masks. You know, the exact things I complained about over and over and over again. 

https://abc7.com/new-cases-of-coroanvirus-in-california-ca-covid-updates-is-covid-19-airborne-can-you-get-twice/6272694/

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Nothing but reaching assumptions. Not a trump person, and truly I do not know who I will vote for, but this doesn’t tickle my wire at all. 

the price of putting a business man into office I guess. 

Wasn't making any assumptions about you. Originally posted in response to Hunter49. Don't know how wire-tickling works.

4 hours ago, Branno said:

More accurately, look at places like New York where BLM protests were prevalent and we didn’t see a major spike in COVID infections. 

BLM protests are a red herring. It’s a way to assign the blame to people with no power. 

Its not a coincidence that the states hit hardest now at the ones that refused to fully shutdown and re-opened their economy too early. 

I disagree with in our area. We completely shut down and did not reopened early. We were completely within the phase criteria. No big protests in the areas of recent hot spots. 

42 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I disagree with in our area. We completely shut down and did not reopened early. We were completely within the phase criteria. No big protests in the areas of recent hot spots. 

Maybe Louisiana is an outlier, maybe they shouldn’t have reopened restaurants back in March during their first spike, maybe they should mandate masks.

Who knows. 

5 hours ago, kansas45 said:

Can you explain California and their Shutdown 2.0? 

Also early reopening in Southern California, which had often been ignoring social distancing all along. Migrant workers working shoulder to shoulder and then being shuttled on busses. Big street demonstrations in LA, and as with the other surging states, more testing has revealed more young people infected. Not as bad up north, but a single frat party at UC Berkeley turned 53 new coronavirus carriers on the street. San Francisco is the second most densely populated city behind New York, but has remained oddly unaffected.

Newsom never liked the early reopening but felt the economic pressure and saw the numbers going down. Given the sudden surge he felt he had to resume the stricter restrictions in hotspot counties, but it’s hardly a lockdown. I see dutiful mask wearing in stores, but also tons of socializing and outdoor dining with almost no social distancing.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Branno said:

Maybe Louisiana is an outlier, maybe they shouldn’t have reopened restaurants back in March during their first spike, maybe they should mandate masks.

Who knows. 

Restaurants were opened to dining in May 15. Closed for 2 months. We’re still in phase 2 according to the criteria the governor set for reopening in mid May. 

im not disagreeing masks may have helped, but if they really make a difference, explain San Antonio’s continued rise in cases since the mask mandate? They’ve had a month now- no dining in, no bars, and masks.   I chose San Antonio because I was there the day of the 2nd shut down and mask mandate and I’ve watched their “progress” out of curiosity. 

7 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not sure this holds up at all really. This isn't pro sports,  ADs can't keep kids in a bubble. Its cute you don't think they will be attending house parties if there is a season 

The perfect does not need to be the enemy of the good.  An athlete who parties on a Saturday night and meets a few friends for video games is still leading a very regimented life.  OTOH if the season is cancelled then he is a college student with online classes and X hours of practice, and then he's completely unregulated the rest of the time.  It's pretty clear from my window that the youths are mentally done with quarantine.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Restaurants were opened to dining in May 15. Closed for 2 months. We’re still in phase 2 according to the criteria the governor set for reopening in mid May. 

im not disagreeing masks may have helped, but if they really make a difference, explain San Antonio’s continued rise in cases since the mask mandate? They’ve had a month now- no dining in, no bars, and masks.   I chose San Antonio because I was there the day of the 2nd shut down and mask mandate and I’ve watched their “progress” out of curiosity. 

Dude I live in Texas. We didn’t have a mask mandate until July. Bars closed only just recently and restaurants are still open at reduced capacity. 

Gov Abbot overruled any city that tried to mandate masks, stay at home, and restaurant/bar closures. 

How do I explain San Antonio? The state opened too early. Not enough people wearing masks. You know. The same thing that happened to most states having large spikes right now. 

This “explain this area to me” schtick is starting to get boring. My answer isn’t going to change, because the facts aren’t going to change. 

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But it's strange that the NCAA is at the center of this, with things breaking on a daily or hourly basis, while the NFL remains motionless.  

The NFL is too busy drilling holes in their own boat right now to be bothered with figuring out how to play a season with C19 around. 

9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The perfect does not need to be the enemy of the good.  An athlete who parties on a Saturday night and meets a few friends for video games is still leading a very regimented life.  OTOH if the season is cancelled then he is a college student with online classes and X hours of practice, and then he's completely unregulated the rest of the time.  It's pretty clear from my window that the youths are mentally done with quarantine.

So they are either going to party or they are going to party after playing a football game against a team from a different region who has also been partying where they are at. Glad we can agree. 

7 hours ago, Branno said:

Dude I live in Texas. We didn’t have a mask mandate until July. Bars closed only just recently and restaurants are still open at reduced capacity. 

Gov Abbot overruled any city that tried to mandate masks, stay at home, and restaurant/bar closures. 

How do I explain San Antonio? The state opened too early. Not enough people wearing masks. You know. The same thing that happened to most states having large spikes right now. 

This “explain this area to me” schtick is starting to get boring. My answer isn’t going to change, because the facts aren’t going to change. 

Why so defensive? 

San Antonio’s mandate was June 24. It’s just for discussion and not to piss you off. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
42 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Why so defensive? 

San Antonio’s mandate was June 24. It’s just for discussion and not to piss you off. 

I will second what Branno said. I live in Texas and a lot of people were not taking it seriously to begin with and went crazy when they re-opened too early. I had to drive from Austin to San Antonio twice in the middle of the shutdown and expected the roads to be pretty dead and they were full of people just going about their lives. 

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I will second what Branno said. I live in Texas and a lot of people were not taking it seriously to begin with and went crazy when they re-opened too early. I had to drive from Austin to San Antonio twice in the middle of the shutdown and expected the roads to be pretty dead and they were full of people just going about their lives. 

I saw everyone wearing the masks and bars are closed.  If these precautions significantly reduced the spread you would think the numbers would should it soon.  Everyone everywhere wore masks but I was only there for a week. Nowhere will you get 100% compliance.  

And what do you mean by living their lives?  Personally, I don't understand how travel baseball games can go on, but they do.  Not sure what's going on with travel ball in texas, but we have two destination little league parks within 5 miles of us that bring at least 200 teams every weekend to this area and we are a june/july hotspot.  Then everyones upset that high school sports have been suspended.  People are only rational until they have to give up something.    

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Why so defensive? 

I’m not defensive, I’m annoyed. Saying “explain this to me” over and over and over is not a discussion. Regardless of your intent you have to be aware of how your actions effect others. 

The late June mask order in SA wasn’t in all public spaces, just in businesses in which “6 ft of separation isn’t feasible.” No really what I would qualify as a mask mandate. 

What is the point you’re trying to make here?