Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

On 7/18/2020 at 7:01 PM, kansas45 said:

This just in. More doom and gloom; of course, this pertains to the Big 12; but is near the geographic's of the Big 10.

https://sports.yahoo.com/west-virginia-announces-28-members-of-football-program-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19-234649357.html

The West Virginia athletic department announced Saturday that 28 members of its football program have tested positive for COVID-19. In total, 41 members of the department have reportedly tested positive out of 518 coronavirus tests since June. Five members of the men’s basketball program have also reportedly tested positive.

Here are the guidelines if anyone is interested. 

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/resocialization-collegiate-sport-developing-standards-practice-and-competition

Pay particular attention to the bottom of the page:

Campuswide or local community test rates that are considered unsafe by local public health officials.

If there is an outbreak and/or rise in cases in Lincoln or any of the college towns, or if students are back on campus AND student health services gets a few cases, it is all over. 

But this one was unique:

Universal Masking

As part of agreed-upon competition protocols, schools and conferences should contemplate universal masking for all coaches and other personnel who are present at the event. This can help prevent the unwitting spread of infection to others with whom they may have close contact, especially when talking at a close physical distance as is so common on the sidelines or bench area. Similarly, because wearing a mask/cloth face covering/face shield will not adequately protect a coach from infection by an infectious athlete, schools and conferences should contemplate a policy of universal masking for all student-athletes when they are not playing and when they move from the court/field to the sidelines for timeouts or between-period strategy discussions

I think the NCAA has just told everyone that no one is playing this season without really saying it. 

There is no man behind the curtain.  Or if there is, he also doesn't know who decided there can be no football season in college.  The idea is so compelling the sheeple are incapable of examining it.  

I read the NCAA guidelines and think I hope my school did not need the NCAA to tell them how to institute basic protective measures. 

I know my school has scientists and health professionals already employed, but how many work at NCAA HQ?

• Plus1 1

there is so much false info floating around i don't believe or trust anyone,

at this point i don't give 2 s#!ts whether the college season plays or not.

and i am boycotting the NFL for the year due to their political bulls#!t and player demands.

it's (NFL) not a spectator sport any longer....i hope the owners and players all go broke!

what i think now matters!  my choice and my demands come first.  

i won't be held. hostage by radical thinking.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 3

Our grandparents in 1940s America lived on emergency rations and the produce they could grow in their "Victory Garden" for four years. They met that challenge with pride and dignity and a forbearance that we should all hope to emulate.

2020 America is asked to wear a freaking cloth over their mouth for six weeks - SIX WEEKS!!!!! - and it's too damned much for them to bear.

You damned idiots are going to cost me college football this year. Screw you lot.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Our grandparents in 1940s America lived on emergency rations and the produce they could grow in their "Victory Garden" for four years. They met that challenge with pride and dignity and a forbearance that we should all hope to emulate.

2020 America is asked to wear a freaking cloth over their mouth for six weeks - SIX WEEKS!!!!! - and it's too damned much for them to bear.

You damned idiots are going to cost me college football this year. Screw you lot.

Yep, they are selfish, entitled, and proud of their ignorance.  NHL has 7 Canadian teams out of 31 (+expansion Seattle).  The hubs to play are in Edmonton and Toronto.  The Canadian government put their citizens first and just told the Toronto Blue Jays to bugger off and stay in the virus-infested U.S.  The U.S. passport is now Afghanistan level valuable.  The world is telling us about the U.S., and Brazil to be fair, about our feckless leadership, anti-science populace and that they won't tolerate it in their home countries.  I saw friends in Korea posting pictures of the beach and dining in restaurants.  I was jealous that we can't do the same here because we won't follow what has worked in controlling the virus around the world.  Likely cost us college football, volleyball, and maybe more if don't get our act together.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

and i am boycotting the NFL for the year due to their political bulls#!t and player demands.

it's (NFL) not a spectator sport any longer....i hope the owners and players all go broke!

Clearly you are being held hostage by radical thinking.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

There is no man behind the curtain.  Or if there is, he also doesn't know who decided there can be no football season in college.  The idea is so compelling the sheeple are incapable of examining it.  

I read the NCAA guidelines and think I hope my school did not need the NCAA to tell them how to institute basic protective measures. 

I know my school has scientists and health professionals already employed, but how many work at NCAA HQ?

The NCAA is made up of mainly this group: the college presidents. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/ncaa-101/what-ncaa

It is the presidents, not the coaches or the athletic directors because these people can be removed by the college president at any time. Thus, they are going to come up with stuff that protects their institutions and the last thing they want are lawsuits or their reputations damaged. So, there is not just one man behind the curtain but instead there are "men behind the curtain" and they are the college presidents. The NCAA has their medical professionals from all over the place. But one thing is for sure, people in these positions are "risk adverse". 

But not all NCAA schools have the luxury of having medical schools tied to them. Not all schools have experts in epidemiology or public health. 

Another poster noted this: [Our grandparents in 1940s America lived on emergency rations and the produce they could grow in their "Victory Garden" for four years. They met that challenge with pride and dignity and a forbearance that we should all hope to emulate.]

Many universities and colleges did not have college football because of the war. At the same time, a number of universities suspended their football programs. Eight members of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) -- Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt -- did not field teams in 1943. In addition, six Pacific Coast Conference teams (Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State, Idaho, and Montana) did not play, nor did Boston College, the Citadel, Duquesne, Fordham, Harvard, Michigan State, Syracuse, and William & Mary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1943_college_football_season#:~:text=At the same time%2C a,not field teams in 1943.

Someone here noted this: [I saw friends in Korea posting pictures of the beach and dining in restaurants.  I was jealous that we can't do the same here because we won't follow what has worked in controlling the virus around the world.  Likely cost us college football, volleyball, and maybe more if don't get our act together..]

How would you have reacted if Congress and the Senate, then approved by President Trump mandated or made into law the mandatory shutting down of all states or a law that mandated wearing a mask back in March or April or even February? 

But think of the size of Korea vs the whole of the USA. The United States is about 99 times bigger than South Korea.We are 50 states with federal and state and local laws. And we have a Constitutional system which are governed by "negative rights" which strongly suggests what the govt cannot do to you. Of course South Korea was able to contain and mitigate the virus. Look at the size comparison.

South Korea Climate Change: Geography

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, hunter49 said:

This is 100% on you.  Yes, there is a lot of fake info floating around. But also some good info backed by research and experience.  

Your post reminds me of a person who stops at a gas station to ask for directions.  The clerk, who most likely lives in the area, gives you some directions. He lets you know about landmarks and construction sites to avoid.  He says traffic can be frustrating, but it’s the quickest way out of town.  Then a guy in line behind you from out of state says “you don’t want to go that way. I just came from there and it was a mess!”

Sometimes I wonder what people like you would do in that situation. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is 100% on you.  Yes, there is a lot of fake info floating around. But also some good info backed by research and experience.  

Your post reminds me of a person who stops at a gas station to ask for directions.  The clerk, who most likely lives in the area, gives you some directions. He lets you know about landmarks and construction sites to avoid.  He says traffic can be frustrating, but it’s the quickest way out of town.  Then a guy in line behind you from out of state says “you don’t want to go that way. I just came from there and it was a mess!”

He reminds you of a made up scenario you created in your mind?

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

He reminds you of a made up scenario you created in your mind?