Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

They play football during the flu season and the flu causes more fatalities than we appreciated. Both viruses pose a risk to a player's life that is so low.  The underlying health conditions listed above, the ones that would put a youth into the vulnerable category, sound like conditions that would already exclude him from college football. Furthermore the schools know their medical history and can exclude any vulnerable players. 

Simply put, the fear that more players will die from covid if there is a football season is not supported by logic and evidence.  The chance of serious physical injury from the virus is negligible compared to the dangerous game of football. 

Thanks doctor, pandemic solved. Close the thread

30 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Thanks doctor, pandemic solved. Close the thread

Not so fast my friend 02/03

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-cb-college-football-season-chances-20200722-dqocpvtuk5elbnx4wlncvivpti-story.html

But here’s what one told me: “If we lose $50 million to $60 million, so be it. I’d rather have a financial crisis than a bunch of kids getting really sick.” And this: “This decision cannot be made by football coaches or ADs or the commissioner or even school presidents. It has to be the medical experts.”

Hate to break this to people, but some/many/most players are actual students who live in dorms or apartments and (should) go to class. They cannot be bubbled, especially not for four to five months. They are well-compensated when you take into account tuition, housing, books, food, clothing and a stipend, but they are non-salaried. They do not exist for our entertainment.

In 1918, they estimate that between 50 and 60 million died from the Spanish Flu. 20 million in 3 winter months. That one affected the young more than the older folks. Ironically, there were calls to wear masks and stay home unless It was necessary to leave, and people protested being told what to do. Some were scared and stayed home others were defiant. Sounds familiar. If a kid was born in 1917 and survived the pandemic, they spent their formative years during the roaring 20s, lived through the depression from age 12 to their twenties, at which time they went off to fight in WW2 after 2400+ people were killed in the attack on Pearl Harbor. If they made it out alive, they saw two more wars, the civil rights movement, the Cold War, man going to the moon, a president assassinated, multiple stock market crashes, recessions, booms, technological advance and the list goes on. That generation had perseverance.

My uneducated gut feel is that COVID will be an order of magnitude less fatal than the Spanish flu, however, the Spanish flu started in the Spring and really picked up in November of that year, so maybe I am a fool. Regardless of the outcome, we have an example of a generation that lived through a pandemic and a lot of other adversity and kicked a$$. No reason this one can’t do the same.

I am not exactly sure why, but most of the old folks I know just aren’t worried about this. My mom is 89 and she lived through a lot of the stuff I mentioned above. Given the choice, she would rather risk it, see her grandkids, great grandkids, go to church and do her jazzer size class than stay shut in her house. Who am I to say no. She would probably die sooner if we told her she couldn’t see anyone, anyway.

COVID is likely here to stay just like many other viruses. Be considerate, protect those at risk as best we can. Can’t live in fear. Learn, adapt and keep living life. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Branno said:

That's a really good question, and you happened to ask an expert! I served as a 68D20 (Operating Room Sergeant) in the US Army for 12 years. A good portion of that was as part of a CSH (Combat Support Hospital) in the reserves, a unit that would be called upon to create a field hospital in the event of an emergency.

It takes 3 days to build a CSH. The ER has 24 hours to open, the OR/ICU/LAB/PHARM need to be open within 48 with the rest of the hospital fully online within 72 hours. This includes stringing out the layout of the hospital, emptying containers, construction of the hospital using ISO containers and temper tents, setting up power and water, etc. 

This takes roughly 200-300 highly trained soldiers to accomplish, after months of training and preparation. These hospitals come full staffed, a staff that has years of experience working with each other.

What does this have to do with staffing an existing hospital? Absolutely nothing.

Right now, this closed hospital has no staff. No chief of medicine. No head nurses. No doctors. No IT staff. No janitors. 

Are we even sure that there are enough medical professionals to staff the hospital if it was opened?

My state brought in a lot of HCPs from out of state.  Also this isn't the Silent Hill Ghost Hospital, the H  in question just closed in Nov 2019.  And thank you for your service. 

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Honest question I don't know the answer to, and also realize is far from a perfect analogy...

Should Baker Mayfield not have been allowed to play in the Rose Bowl when he had the flu?

I think you should up the ante and make it HIV+.

7 hours ago, Branno said:

That's a really good question, and you happened to ask an expert! I served as a 68D20 (Operating Room Sergeant) in the US Army for 12 years. A good portion of that was as part of a CSH (Combat Support Hospital) in the reserves, a unit that would be called upon to create a field hospital in the event of an emergency.

It takes 3 days to build a CSH. The ER has 24 hours to open, the OR/ICU/LAB/PHARM need to be open within 48 with the rest of the hospital fully online within 72 hours. This includes stringing out the layout of the hospital, emptying containers, construction of the hospital using ISO containers and temper tents, setting up power and water, etc. 

This takes roughly 200-300 highly trained soldiers to accomplish, after months of training and preparation. These hospitals come full staffed, a staff that has years of experience working with each other.

What does this have to do with staffing an existing hospital? Absolutely nothing.

Right now, this closed hospital has no staff. No chief of medicine. No head nurses. No doctors. No IT staff. No janitors. 

Are we even sure that there are enough medical professionals to staff the hospital if it was opened?

Dang, that is fast!

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

Honest question I don't know the answer to, and also realize is far from a perfect analogy...

Should Baker Mayfield not have been allowed to play in the Rose Bowl when he had the flu?

If it was actually the real influenza, then no. He shouldn’t have played IMO.  Both for his health and others. But in the magnitude of the event, one case is easily going to get glossed over.  

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just curious as we get closer to the season if any of the former mask holdouts are now wearing masks.  Anyone have a change of heart?

Not HS kids that are working out/conditioning, I can tell you that for sure.  I see 100-200 every single day.  No mask, no distancing, nothing.  Inside in the gyms, weight room, halls and outside.  

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Just curious as we get closer to the season if any of the former mask holdouts are now wearing masks.  Anyone have a change of heart?

I can honestly say that in my day to day life I haven't seen someone wear a mask in 2 weeks.  Again, this is rural Nebraska but close to some hot spots.  My son said he is seeing more people wearing them in Lincoln as opposed to a few weeks ago.  

30 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I can honestly say that in my day to day life I haven't seen someone wear a mask in 2 weeks.  Again, this is rural Nebraska but close to some hot spots.  My son said he is seeing more people wearing them in Lincoln as opposed to a few weeks ago.  

Yeah, Lincoln's mask-wearing has ticked up a bit, in response to the Mayor's "mandate" that has no teeth. Some folks still don't wear them, but we'll see if that changes.

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Last two days we've had 1100+ Covid deaths each day. First time since end of May/beginning of June we've seen numbers like that on back to back days. Definitely need to see those numbers shrink as we get closer to football season. 

Daily deaths continuing to rise.

EdacLfXXgAcTX4N.png