Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  If you look at my link, the number of cases has continued to drop.  However, the number of deaths has risen over the last 6 weeks.  

Then, I added a tweet to my post pointing out that the number of deaths are very likely underestimated in the US.

I think the year over year total of all deaths period is telling.  Hard to say it was this cause  or that to skew your view when you simply look at the total.  200k more deaths than last year,  what's changed this year?

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Where are you getting this information? Hospitals don't get money for dead people, they get money to care for patients who are alive. And even with the extra cash they are getting less than it costs to care for these patients. 

I mostly work with medicare - less with private insurance. Medicare pays a flat rate based on diagnosis. Medicare has agreed to pay 20% more for a covid diagnosis, over similar treatment plans - but there is absolutely no incentive to lie about it - the federal govt will have your a$$. We're talking massive fines and prison time if you are trying to rip off the govt. I take it with how much private insurance loves their money - they would take kindly to hospitals ripping them off as well....insurance companies have nurses/medical professionals on staff for a reason - its so they don't get stiffed. 

As for death, I can't think of a single reason to lie about someone dying from Covid. Like I said hospitals get paid based on diagnosis - not cause of death. Cant wrap my head around that one.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 5
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Does anyone know anyone who has died from it?  I don't even know anyone who knows somebody who died from it.  The worst case I've heard is my office mate who's pastor who is in his 80's spent a month in the hospital but recovered.

Yes, I personally know several who died from an outbreak.

6 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Does anyone know anyone who has died from it?  I don't even know anyone who knows somebody who died from it.  The worst case I've heard is my office mate who's pastor who is in his 80's spent a month in the hospital but recovered.

My church had a member pass from covid in June. My co-worker's uncle died in July.

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mostly work with medicare - less with private insurance. Medicare pays a flat rate based on diagnosis. Medicare has agreed to pay 20% more for a covid diagnosis, over similar treatment plans - but there is absolutely no incentive to lie about it - the federal govt will have your a$$. We're talking massive fines and prison time if you are trying to rip off the govt. I take it with how much private insurance loves their money - they would take kindly to hospitals ripping them off as well....insurance companies have nurses/medical professionals on staff for a reason - its so they don't get stiffed. 

As for death, I can't think of a single reason to lie about someone dying from Covid. Like I said hospitals get paid based on diagnosis - not cause of death. Cant wrap my head around that one.

Just hypothetical here - If a person is treated in a hospital and passes, that hospital can get 20% more if the patient who is now deceased is reported to have covid, correct?  I'm sure the whole situation has been blown out of proportion but it is reasonable to assume that some hospitals have listed potential covid patients as positives to receive the extra money. 

As to the extra 200k deaths, I believe a lot of factors surrounding the last 6 months are responsible.  Just placing the extra stress on society will create more death.  It is likely that many deaths were linked to a covid infection but the reality is we won't ever know.

None of this really matters in relation to football for this fall.  I don't think it will work but hope to see spring football now in 2021.      

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It is likely that many deaths were linked to a covid infection but the reality is we won't ever know.

Reasonable people know that 160,000+ of those additional deaths are covid infection caused. Not believing that is just making up nonsense reasons to fit a narrative someone hopes to be true, but isn't.

• Plus1 2

For the "they're over-reporting COVID deaths to make money" crowd...

COVID's true toll in Texas is higher than reported, data shows

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic in Texas, the state’s death toll from all causes has soared by thousands above historical averages — a sobering spike that experts say reveals the true toll of the disease.

Between the beginning of the local pandemic and the end of July, 95,000 deaths were reported in Texas, according to U.S. Centers for Disease Control data. Based on historical mortality records and predictive modeling, government epidemiologists would have expected to see about 82,500 deaths during that time.

The CDC attributed more than 7,100 deaths to COVID-19, but that leaves roughly 5,500 more than expected and with no identified tie to the pandemic. The CDC’s chief of mortality, Dr. Bob Anderson, said these “excess deaths” are likely from a range of pandemic-related problems, including misclassifications because doctors did not initially understand the many ways that COVID-19 affects the circulatory system and results in a stroke or a heart attack.

“It can cause all sorts of havoc in the body,” he said.

The CDC data offers an opaque but important estimate of how deadly the virus has been in Texas, which suffered from testing shortages for weeks as COVID-19 case counts climbed.

“It has shocked me to see people think that there’s overcounts of the COVID deaths, because I can’t even imagine that that’d be the case,” said Mark Hayward, a professor at the University of Texas who studies mortality trends. “The undercount is so dramatic.”

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  If you look at my link, the number of cases has continued to drop.  However, the number of deaths has risen over the last 6 weeks.  

Then, I added a tweet to my post pointing out that the number of deaths are very likely underestimated in the US.

Right but cases have only been declining for about 3 weeks. Typically you would expect deaths to follow that trend about 1 month behind. I think we will see deaths begin to go down but I think that will be because more COVID deaths will be hidden behind flu and pnemonia so likely the uncounted toll will grow unfortunately. 

21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Just hypothetical here - If a person is treated in a hospital and passes, that hospital can get 20% more if the patient who is now deceased is reported to have covid, correct?  I'm sure the whole situation has been blown out of proportion but it is reasonable to assume that some hospitals have listed potential covid patients as positives to receive the extra money. 

The passing has nothing to do with it. If the Doc's primary diagnosis is Covid then Medicare adds the 20%. You can't be treating a patient for X then go back after they died and say, actually we were treating them for Covid. If you are worried about this now, you should be worried about this all the time - not just with Covid. In a non covid world that Doc's could be lying about diagnosis just to game the system, but that s#!t would get stomped out pretty quickly. The system in place (covid or not) depends on the fact that doctors are doing what they can to accurately treat the patients - not trying to line the pockets of the hospitals. 

• Plus1 4

Good lord, the amount of misinformation on this board is ridiculous. Since I keep getting censored for responding to political talking points with facts, I’ll make this my last post about this topic and move on. Clearly some want to stay in their bubble of ignorance, rather than hear the on the ground facts.

If anything, we’re under reporting COVID deaths. The healthcare community has widely known this for months. 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-covid-19-deaths-are-counted1/

JAMA study estimates that 35% of excess deaths during pandemic's early months were tied to causes other than COVID-19.

https://www.healthleadersmedia.com/covid-19/covid-19-associated-deaths-significantly-undercounted

KEY TAKEAWAYS

COVID-19 accounts for only two-thirds of the estimated 87,000 excessive deaths tracked across the nation between March 1 and May 30.

Deaths from causes other than COVID-19 spiked in regions that also had the most COVID-19 deaths.

At COVID-19's peak, diabetes deaths in five hard-hit states rose 96% above the expected number of deaths.

Deaths from heart disease (89%), Alzheimer's disease (64%) and stroke (35%) in those states also spiked.

New York City's death rates rose 398% from heart disease and 356% from diabetes.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

What he is saying is deaths correlate with infections and since infections are in decline deaths will be at some point soon as well. What he misses in that assessment is places like Florida and Texas which are the current epicenters have drastically reduced testing in recent days. 

If you look into the data more, some of the reduced testing numbers are because some sites are not reporting negative tests anymore. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If you look into the data more, some of the reduced testing numbers are because some sites are not reporting negative tests anymore. 

I saw one instance of that in Florida but it was apparently corrected. Haven't seen any other reports on that sort of thing though that may be true. I know in Florida they were testing less due to hurricane concerns. Here is an article talking about the decrease in testing. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/12/accuracy-of-us-coronavirus-data-thrown-into-question-as-decline-in-testing-skews-drop-in-new-cases.html