Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

9 hours ago, funhusker said:

Am I in an extreme minority by not really caring if anyone plays this year?  If they play, great!  If not, it's just another disappointment piled on top of a million others this year.  I'm really too tired at this point to give a s#!t.  I have enough COVID related stress in my week that I plan on drinking beers on Saturdays with, or without, college football.  I know it means a lot to the players; but as a fan, it just seems like a year of going through the motions and everyone knows it doesn't really count anyway...

I'll watch if it's on.  If not, I won't. Oh well.  I just hope the players get what they want as long as it's done responsibly.

That doesn’t sound like a very fun husker 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Mitch is 100% correct. Coming up with plans how to make this work should have been the primary thing these athletic departments were working on over the past six months. 

The NCAA, the B1G (any P5 conference), the Athletics Departments - are so top heavy with senior officials making six figures+, its crazy they weren't meeting everyday since March to figure this out - at the very least to keep and justify their bloated salaries. The lack of preparation is just mind blowing.

Then again the NCAA just furloughed everyone except senior management, so the top isn't really worried about their cut. 

Fun Fact: The top 11 employees at the NCAA make a combined 10.5 mil a year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

The NCAA, the B1G (any P5 conference), the Athletics Departments - are so top heavy with senior officials making six figures+, its crazy they weren't meeting everyday since March to figure this out - at the very least to keep and justify their bloated salaries. The lack of preparation is just mind blowing.

Then again the NCAA just furloughed everyone except senior management, so the top isn't really worried about their cut. 

Fun Fact: The top 11 employees at the NCAA make a combined 10.5 mil a year. 

Seems to me they need a visit from the Bobs.

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the coaches, ADs and universities were having constant meetings throughout the summer. I recall reading Moos had mentioned that he was having daily AD conference calls with all the other ADs in the conference. Seemed like the athletic departments had established consensus protocols and plans which is why they were all dumbstruck once they postponed despite all the safety measures that were taken since mid-summer. 

• Plus1 3
44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Mitch is 100% correct. Coming up with plans how to make this work should have been the primary thing these athletic departments were working on over the past six months. 

My town has had all athletic practices for several weeks and games started over a week ago and no cases tied to sports so far. Some towns around us have had cases, but not tied to competition instead from other activities or school in general. These kids aren't being tested or monitored at all, so it seems ok so far. Things could obviously change, but based on what I've seen things are going pretty well.

• Plus1 2

Just now, RedDenver said:

How would a high school team even know since the virus spreads asymptomatically especially in young people? Are the high schools testing the players regularly?

Around here, they are not testing players.  I have no idea about the class A schools.  However, they should know as the players still live at home and there hasn't been an outbreak in parents or teachers that those players come in contact with on a daily basis.  I haven't been to a football game yet, but I've been to a couple of volleyball games.  For the most part, there aren't a lot of fans there.  The ones that are there pretty much are in small family groups socially distancing.  The one thing most people are worried about is how colleges are sending those with covid home once they are positive.  Most believe they should stay at their respective school and quarantine there rather than coming home to infect the rest of their family. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

How would a high school team even know since the virus spreads asymptomatically especially in young people? Are the high schools testing the players regularly?

I think ultimately with contact tracing you'd tie a large number of cases elsewhere back to the high school teams. So, we may just not know yet, but being weeks into seasons and no outbreaks tied to them is encouraging.

• Thanks 1

Editing this because this is turning out to be a way more complicated thing that Mr. Sebastianelli's statement seems to say. Read below for updates.

Original post:

Well, this certainly isn't going to move the needle in the "let them play" direction. 

PSU football doctor: 30-35 percent of COVID-19-positive Big Ten athletes had myocarditis

New data helps illustrate what Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren might have meant when he described “too much medical uncertainty and too many unknown health risks” as reasons for postponing the Big Ten’s 2020-21 fall sports season.

During a State College Area school board of directors meeting on Monday night, Wayne Sebastianelli — Penn State’s director of athletic medicine — made some alarming comments about the link between COVID-19 and myocarditis, particularly in Big Ten athletes. Sebastianelli said that cardiac MRI scans revealed that approximately a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 appeared to have myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle that can be fatal if left unchecked.

“When we looked at our COVID-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, 30 to roughly 35 percent of their heart muscles (are) inflamed,” Sebastianelli said. “And we really just don’t know what to do with it right now. It’s still very early in the infection. Some of that has led to the Pac-12 and the Big Ten’s decision to sort of put a hiatus on what’s happening.”

A day before the Big Ten announced its decision to postpone its fall sports season on Aug. 11, ESPN reported that the long-term effects of myocarditis had been discussed in meetings of presidents and chancellors, commissioners and athletic directors, and health advisory board members from the Big Ten and other conferences around the country.

“You could have a very high-level athlete who’s got a very superior VO2 max and cardiac output who gets infected with COVID and can drop his or her VO2 max and cardiac output just by 10 percent, and that could make them go from elite status to average status,” Sebastianelli said. “We don’t know that. We don’t know how long that’s going to last. What we have seen is when people have been studied with cardiac MRI scans — symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID infections — is a level of inflammation in cardiac muscle that just is alarming.”

EDITS FOLLOW WITH NEW INFORMATION

Source: No NFL players have had post-COVID heart ailment

No NFL player who has had COVID-19 has been diagnosed with myocarditis, a league source says.

The heart disease causes potentially life-threatening inflammation of heart tissue.

It was diagnosed in 10 or more football players at Big Ten universities, according to TheAthletic.com and other national U.S. sports-news outlets earlier this month.

Reports at that time cited a deep concern about myocarditis as a principal medical reason the Big Ten — one of the foremost U.S. college sports leagues — cancelled all fall sports.

Just on Friday, however, multiple reports said the Big Ten was seriously reconsidering that decision, at least for football. Leaders were said to be mulling a 2020-21 football season for winter instead of fall, beginning as early as late November.

This was posted later in the thread, but I'm editing this one because it's pertinent as a response to this post.

FootballScoop:

Myocarditis: Speaking at an area Board of School directors meeting on August 31st, Penn State director of athletic medicine Wayne Sebastianelli made a comment that of athletes who have tested positive for Covid “30 to roughly 35% of their heart muscles are inflamed.” FootballScoop reached out to contacts at 8 Big Ten schools (including Penn State). 7 have responded so far (not including Penn State), all 6 have said something along the lines of “We’re not experiencing that here and haven’t heard of anyone in the conference experiencing this. Last we heard was nearly 10 total athletes across all sports.” Update> ESPN has released information today saying, “Of the 26 schools (all Power 5) that answered the question about heart-related conditions for student-athletes, only one school — Oregon State — reported having an athlete who developed heart-related issues after contracting COVID-19, but the school stated it was not myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle.”

So there you go. Have fun with all that!  :LOLtartar

• Thanks 2