Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Aren't you against having the season? 

Of course not. I'm against having a season without proper precautions. I think it'll be difficult, if not impossible keeping 100+ guys on a roster in game shape, as we've seen with all the postponements and cancellations already in the short season.

Things are always changing, and the spit-test is a big deal. If they can reasonably say that the guys taking the field are virus-free, let them play. 

• Plus1 3

Again, MLB, NHL, and the NBA are having surprisingly successful seasons & playoffs, even with the expected positive tests. No fans in the stands and considerable lost revenue, but there is a good working model to point to. 

But I think colleges were keenly aware that their athletes and revenue generators were unpaid young men without any union or collective voice, and if anything went south on their watch it would be a very ugly look.  That's still true. But risk assessment and public sentiment is changing on a daily basis. Probably won't know the wisest course of action until after the fact. Agree that the spit test could be a game-changer. 

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Of course not. I'm against having a season without proper precautions. I think it'll be difficult, if not impossible keeping 100+ guys on a roster in game shape, as we've seen with all the postponements and cancellations already in the short season.

Things are always changing, and the spit-test is a big deal. If they can reasonably say that the guys taking the field are virus-free, let them play. 

My view is lets play ball unless and until we actually see athletes or coaches really get sick.   Its been 6 months and as far as I am aware, not ONE collegiate or pro athlete has died and I haven’t heard of even one hopitalized!   

Lots and lots of positive tests, nobody even seriously ill.  Some tests are false and nearly all are not aware they have or even had it. With the test showing positives long after an infection (very minor), they are not even contagious.   Why worry at this point?  

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

My view is lets play ball unless and until we actually see athletes or coaches really get sick.   Its been 6 months and as far as I am aware, not ONE collegiate or pro athlete has died and I haven’t heard of even one hopitalized!   

Lots and lots of positive tests, nobody even seriously ill.  Some tests are false and nearly all are not aware they have or even had it. With the test showing positives long after an infection (very minor), they are not even contagious.   Why worry at this point?  

I can think of two off the top of my head. :blink:

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, MLB, NHL, and the NBA are having surprisingly successful seasons & playoffs, even with the expected positive tests. No fans in the stands and considerable lost revenue, but there is a good working model to point to. 

But I think colleges were keenly aware that their athletes and revenue generators were unpaid young men without any union or collective voice, and if anything went south on their watch it would be a very ugly look.  That's still true. But risk assessment and public sentiment is changing on a daily basis. Probably won't know the wisest course of action until after the fact. Agree that the spit test could be a game-changer. 

All three pro leagues are being successful, but - NHL and NBA are in a bubble, and not traveling or interacting with the outside world (and keeping all those coming in and out separated from the actual players/coaches).

MLB is traveling and playing and has been successful when players follow the protocols.

I think that is the biggest issue with college players.  We've already seen more outbreaks than I can remember at colleges among the normal student population, mostly caused by not following protocols.  If the players would follow all protocols and stay in isolation, then I think that they could have similar success as the pro leagues.  However, it is probably a lot to ask of the players when they also have to attend classes with other students who are not following the protocols.  Even if the players are diligent, they will probably still get exposed in those scenarios.