Lawsuit claims UNL, athletic department protect Huskers accused of sexual assault

Incident #1 was NOT reported

Incident #2 ws a butt grab. I am not saying that is right by any means, but it's hard to punish someone on this right?

Incident #3 was a rape reported case where Hunt and Legrone were kicked off the team

What more could have been done? 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Incident #2 ws a butt grab. I am not saying that is right by any means, but it's hard to punish someone on this right?

Incident #3 was a rape reported case where Hunt and Legrone were kicked off the team

It's not hard to punish someone on this; it's sexual assault. 

• Plus1 7
3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

It sounds easy sitting in your desk chair right now. I have seen many many times it is hard to convict someone if the people who were said to have done it say they didn't. He said vs she said...I assume it was looked into. If not, then whoever is supposed to look further needs to see the door. 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It sounds easy sitting in your desk chair right now. I have seen many many times it is hard to convict someone if the people who were said to have done it say they didn't. He said vs she said...I assume it was looked into. If not, then whoever is supposed to look further needs to see the door. 

It sounds easy sitting anywhere: don't touch people in inappropriate ways. 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He said vs she said...I assume it was looked into. If not, then whoever is supposed to look further needs to see the door. 

100% agree. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

There are a lot of ways to deal with a butt grab that don't involve public knowledge or being kicked off the team. Being benched for a game, pencil rolls every day after practice for a month, running stairs for a month, etc.

I supposed it also depends on the severity. If it's just a pinch on the butt, or a slap, maybe run stairs. If it's full on groping, we're talking more severe penalties.

• Plus1 1

From my limited experience, the cases that may involve athletes or other “notables” are usually handled with extra scrutiny and diligence out of an abundance of caution and to go the extra steps etc to avoid even any appearance of favoritism or bias.  Schools and other organizations are terrified of being accused of protecting VIPs or covering up a potential scandal. It is a very fine line to walk to protect the privacy of all involved (accuser, accused, investigators, etc).  In this case we see the report /rumors of pregnancy of one party (apparently falsely) and or the others who may have had absolutely nothing to do with ANY wrongful or unlawful activities.  

Rumors are vicious and hurtful and often totally untrue.  Sadly.  

The difference between a “cover up” and confidential for good reasons can be virtually nil.  Scandal sells and gossip spreads like corona virus. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

There are a lot of ways to deal with a butt grab that don't involve public knowledge or being kicked off the team. Being benched for a game, pencil rolls every day after practice for a month, running stairs for a month, etc.

I supposed it also depends on the severity. If it's just a pinch on the butt, or a slap, maybe run stairs. If it's full on groping, we're talking more severe penalties.

This. I think everyone agrees it is wrong, but people who act like every time someone is accused needs to be kicked off the team is delusional. You have to prove things. Look at Cephus from Wisconsin. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Was it UNL that took these actions, or the football program? From everything I've read, Hunt and LeGrone were removed from the team as soon as the staff found out about the allegations, and from everything I'm reading here and until we know more, this seems more like a University issue than a program issue. Regardless of what is true, I'm deeply embarrassed of my alma mater this morning. 

The football program and the university all have compliance people out the wazoo. There is no way the football team is going to remove players based on sexual misconduct allegations without consulting with the Title IX office and UNL administration. If the football program takes action on a university (and federal) policy without due process, it is the football program who gets sued. 100% guarantee that the removal of the players was coordinated with a Title IX investigation.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I remember when the whole Maurice Washington thing first was reported and everyone on here acted like the whole university was going down in flames, and we should fire everyone....just calm down. Everyone wants bad people to pay for what they did. I hope Hunt and Legrone get jail time, but don't overreact at this point. If we find out we covered things up then start to panic. 

• Plus1 5
Just now, BIG ERN said:

This. I think everyone agrees it is wrong, but people who act like every time someone is accused needs to be kicked off the team is delusional.

That's why the court of public opinion can be so dangerous. Assumptions and aspersions begin to fly any time someone names alleged victims and alleged perpetrators, particularly in cases of sexual assault. There's even evidence of this behavior in this thread.

'Truth' isn't all that relative in these kinds of situations. All that will matter now is whether or not someone can prove the crimes, violations of Title IX, gross negligence, etc. Regardless, this is a disappointing situation to have to see play out, particularly if a person was sexually assaulted. 

From an old man's perspective that has two beautiful daughters (both in college).

In my youth (days long past) it was mostly considered harmless to pinch a girl in the butt. (She'd jump, scream, often loudly tell you how obnoxious you are and then go on.) THAT WAS THEN!!

Today it's different and rightfully so. Consider the abuses that women have suffered for years at the hands of employers, bosses and worse, the false accusations of "it's your fault or if you dressed differently or you ask for it, etc..) Today everyone should be more aware of the abuses women have suffered in the past and understand that a respectful code of conduct exists. It is never acceptable in any situation to violate this new and NECESSARY code. We old timers should thank our younger leaders for having the courage to both create the awareness of wrong doings to women and applaud them for having the courage to face the offender.

As for AM - it's simple on his part. If the two are still cordial, maybe even still in a relationship (be it intimate or simply friendship) be forthcoming to protect each other. (Both emotionally and reputation).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I didn't realize it was so clear cut.  Well then, I guess I was sexually assaulted over a dozen times during my college days at UNL.  Maybe I should have made a big stink about it and gotten each of those evil college girls in trouble for those criminal butt grabs.  Instead I just laughed it off.  Silly me. 

• Plus1 6
59 minutes ago, Ulty said:

The football program and the university all have compliance people out the wazoo. There is no way the football team is going to remove players based on sexual misconduct allegations without consulting with the Title IX office and UNL administration. If the football program takes action on a university (and federal) policy without due process, it is the football program who gets sued. 100% guarantee that the removal of the players was coordinated with a Title IX investigation.

Sitting here knowing nothing other than what has been reported.  I would assume they were dismissed from the team when the team found out about it.  The problem seems to be that the University was told about it and possibly didn't do anything...including telling the team about it.

That's all why an investigation needs to be had and look at what documentation there is as to what took place.