Why Football in Spring Will Be Awesome

Football in the Spring would never be awesome.

Football is meant to be played with the amber sun low in the autumn sky or under thick grey overcast with strong winds howling in across the Great Plains into our mask-free faces with snow flurries gathering on our coats and hoodies to add spice to the Massive Sea of Red that fills the huge Lincoln stadium along with the hearts and souls of Husker Nation everywhere.

Football is meant to played when smiling folks are outdoors raking leaves into piles while listening to radios blaring The Big Red play-by-play of yet another dominating performance against a hapless, overmatched opponent and the Husker march to another National Championship.

Football is meant to be played, but not when baseball bats are cracking and basketball twine is singing sweet tunes and pucks are being slapped into the backs of hockey nets behind confused goaltenders.

Football is meant to be played... but never in Springtime.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do I have to do everything around here?

1) Spring football will distract us from Nebraska basketball's historic March Madness failure 

2) Pretty flowers

3) 

#1 is also false: there won't be college basketball, either. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Football in the Spring would never be awesome.

Football is meant to be played with the amber sun low in the autumn sky or under thick grey overcast with strong winds howling in across the Great Plains into our mask-free faces with snow flurries gathering on our coats and hoodies to add spice to the Massive Sea of Red that fills the huge Lincoln stadium along with the hearts and souls of Husker Nation everywhere.

Football is meant to played when smiling folks are outdoors raking leaves into piles while listening to radios blaring The Big Red play-by-play of yet another dominating performance against a hapless, overmatched opponent and the Husker march to another National Championship.

Football is meant to be played, but not when baseball bats are cracking and basketball twine is singing sweet tunes and pucks are being slapped into the backs of hockey nets behind confused goaltenders.

Football is meant to be played... but never in Springtime.

This would be even better if narrated by John Facenda:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I don't see anyone having a full slate of spring games but I can see a few games being played.  Instead of the red and white game maybe the culmination of our standard spring ends with a game against Iowa or similar.  I guess it would be better than nothing.  

This really stinks for our seniors but tbh I feel bad for teams like Ohio State who really had a shot to win it all.  

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I don't see anyone having a full slate of spring games but I can see a few games being played.  Instead of the red and white game maybe the culmination of our standard spring ends with a game against Iowa or similar.  I guess it would be better than nothing.  

This really stinks for our seniors but tbh I feel bad for teams like Ohio State who really had a shot to win it all.  

Agreed, no way it is a ten game schedule. We're looking at 4-6 games if we're lucky which is becoming increasingly unlikely when fear of being safe is the reason for canceling the fall slate.

I wouldn't feel too bad for Ohio State, they had a chance to show some backbone like Frost and the NU administration but backed down. In the end, Nebraska will likely toe the line and accept fate in order to stay in the conference. We will be mocked in the media for awhile and continue to get the shaft from the conference in scheduling. However, we gained a lot of respect in football-loving communities by taking a stand and questioning when enough was enough. Nothing truly changed in the six days between schedule release and canceling the season. 

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I agree I'd guess the best case scenario is going to be like 3-4 conference games with most good seniors or juniors opting out to get ready for the draft. It won't really be worth much but I guess it'd be football. My guess is we get nothing though.