2020 Presidential Debates Round 1 - Game Thread

admo

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've thought about this too.  Just shutting off his mic isn't going to shut him up.

yes, I told my wife, even if they shut off his mic, he will do what he did to Hillary - walk around, walk behind her - anything to draw attention to himself

49 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think the bolded is true, but I also think one of the primary reasons Trump behaved the way he did during the debate was because the audience would hear him. I wonder if he will be as as persistent with this behavior if it's just Biden? My gut is leaning no.

Also, it depends on what kind of mics they're using - directional vs. omnidirectional. They'd be wise to use directional in this situation and, if they do, I think the candidates will be far enough away to eliminate any real chance of coherently picking up the other.

Of course he will be just as persistent. His entire goal was to rattle Biden, make him stutter, look weak, and disoriented. That won't change. 

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Apparently all the demurring & deflection about Trump's obvious racist dog whistle is even pissing off the Fox News folks.

That, or they see the ship is sinking and they're fleeing with the rest of the rats.

Well, by his reaction, I think they have always been OK with toting the party line when normal Republicans were in office.  I'm thinking that some, like John Roberts, are sick and tired of thinking they need to be nice to someone as disgusting as Trump.  Then, when they simply do ask a semi tough question and get hammered over it...their close to snapping....as we see here.

I don't feel a bit sorry for them though.  But, I hope it doesn't prevent more Fox personalities from asking appropriately tough questions.

• Plus1 1

This is funny, but actually true. 

trump knows he can't debate Biden straight up, but he knows he can't bow out of these debates, either. So he does what he knows best - bluster, blather & bulls#!t his way through it. 

If polling is any indication, it absolutely didn't help him.