What did we learn? OSU edition.

Decked

3 minutes ago, internetman said:

do you disagree? 

Frost was smiling with McCaffrey, as Luke was approaching the bench.  Maybe something funny happened to Luke on the field, or maybe Luke said something funny to Scott.  I am sure Frost wasn't happy with the result against Ohio State, but there were some good things which happened on Saturday.

Football is a sport, and it's supposed to be fun.  Yes, I know losing by 30+ points isn't very fun, but I'm not gonna b!^@h and moan that Frost isn't a grumpy gus on the sidelines of a blowout loss.  He did plenty of that his first 2 years at NU.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 3

When I see Frost's demeanor in the post-game interviews after a big loss, he can't even really look up towards the press. He looks so mad and ashamed, like he can just barely take it.

So I think I'm going to have to disagree that he's not taking anything seriously; he strikes me as the kind of guy that it doesn't matter what you're playing - it could be tiddly winks or checkers - he wants to beat you.

Sometimes humor is just a way to cope with stuff when things are going wrong. The sideline thing is a non-issue.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

To the original question. What did we learn. 

Our Trenches are definitely headed in the right direction and appear to be adequate to have success against anyone in the country if you can hold up to Ohio State. 

We do not have the overall skill players, speed or depth to keep up with a top tier team like Ohio State for 4 quarters. The margin for error is small. We need to keep recruiting better, keep those players on the roster and develop them so we can get them on the field. Instead of rolling out former walk-ons to catch passes. 

Talent can make a lot of schemes look good. I am not sold on Chinander. BUT, if we had better talent I think some of the clunky feeling with our Offense and Defense would go away. If Frost and Chinander had the talent of Ohio State I am sure we would be thinking they are great coaches.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Change #7 to RB.  Create the LMC  magic CMC had in college. LMC with 20-25 touches a game could be magical.  Keep him on the field 90 % of the times so that when you do bring him out its not a " hey look 7 is on the field situation". 

Not a terrible idea, but I think the thought is two fold. 1) AM is injury prone so LMC needs to be the back up QB, 2) LMC isn't the biggest most stout built guy in the world, giving him 20-25 touches a game would probably get him injured

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Not a terrible idea, but I think the thought is two fold. 1) AM is injury prone so LMC needs to be the back up QB, 2) LMC isn't the biggest most stout built guy in the world, giving him 20-25 touches a game would probably get him injured

CMC wasn't like he is now when he was at Stanford either.  And yes AM is injury prone. Thats the only negative i see. lol.

22 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

CMC wasn't like he is now when he was at Stanford either.  And yes AM is injury prone. Thats the only negative i see. lol.

Or he could transfer out, because a large part of why he came here was we were willing to guarantee he could play QB. We're not pulling a bait and switch, he's doing as much as he can in addition to QB. But once it becomes instead of QB I think we have a broken promise.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:12 PM, BaytownHusker said:

Change #7 to RB.  Create the LMC  magic CMC had in college. LMC with 20-25 touches a game could be magical.  Keep him on the field 90 % of the times so that when you do bring him out its not a " hey look 7 is on the field situation". 

Horrible idea.  He wants to play QB and we need a competent #2.  We finally have that for if 2AM goes down and someone wants that #2 to be switched to another position.  :facepalm:  We also actually have good RBs on the team.  We don't need to be moving such an important player to another position to RB.

• Plus1 5
On 10/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, BaytownHusker said:

Maybe run that by LMC first :dunno

There's this thing called the transfer portal nowadays. It's pretty popular with players who don't get what they want.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Ohio State vs Penn State

526 yards gained - 9.4 yards per pass - 4.6 yards per rush

325 yards allowed - 9.4 yards per pass - 1.6 yards per rush

Ohio State vs Nebraska

491 yards gained - 13.1 yards per pass - 4.5 yards per rush

370 yards allowed - 8.0 yards per pass - 5.8 yards per rush

And if Day doesn't score that garbage-time touchdown the scores are only off by one TD.

I understand you're not trying to draw an equivalence between Nebraska and Penn State, but you make a point that I also thought of - and that's that we are possibly trending in the right direction.

Now we just need to keep building on that and keep getting better. "Day by day," as the saying goes.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/27/2020 at 11:55 AM, Husker in WI said:

Or he could transfer out, because a large part of why he came here was we were willing to guarantee he could play QB. We're not pulling a bait and switch, he's doing as much as he can in addition to QB. But once it becomes instead of QB I think we have a broken promise.

I think the relationship between Frost and McCaffrey is solid enough we'll never have to worry about a broken promise.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1