Adrian Martinez

308_Husker

Tonight against Rutgers, I'm glad we only got Adrian. It is no doubt that Luke is an integral part to this team and I hope he can come back strong. However, we got to see good things from Adrian.

It was certainly very sketchy with him and the turnovers, but he was able to take control tonight. I hope he can really take that same control into the offseason and into next season. That motivation has to come from him.  He was banged up going into tonight. I thought he showed a lot of resolve tonight

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I think Adrian only has 3 interceptions on the season. LOL, I loved how they cut his sleeves off at halftime - they should have cut them even shorter. That really made me laugh for some reason.

Still maintain that the heart of this kid is as big as any Husker to ever put on the uniform. The TD pass he threw to Wan'Dale made up for the overthrow to Wan'Dale earlier that resulted in the interception. 

Kid’s hurt probably beyond repair. Feel bad that he gets such a bad rap. It’s probably time to hang it up or turn to solely being a punter. 

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it’s frustrating with Adrian at times. My question is “who on the roster would you have replace him”.  We’ve seen that Luke isn’t the answer. 

Rhymes with brothers 

and Frost said he was ready to go and had a good week of practice. 

7 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Kid’s hurt probably beyond repair. Feel bad that he gets such a bad rap. It’s probably time to hang it up or turn to solely being a punter. 

Rhymes with brothers 

and Frost said he was ready to go and had a good week of practice. 

I hope Smothers can be the long term option, but he will need to make a lot of progress in spring practice to be the starter next year.

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hope Smothers can be the long term option, but he will need to make a lot of progress in spring practice to be the starter next year.

I’m not trying to be a D Bag, but does he really need to make a lot of progress.

My concern is that this team HAS to do something different if they expect anything different in 2021.  Putting it all on Smothers like we did with AM is a bad plan in my opinion.

He has to find a grad transfer to shore up the room.  

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’m not trying to be a D Bag, but does he really need to make a lot of progress.

My concern is that this team HAS to do something different if they expect anything different in 2021.  Putting it all on Smothers like we did with AM is a bad plan in my opinion.

He has to find a grad transfer to shore up the room.  

My comments are based around the current roster. I think Adrian’s body has broken down so he has pretty much reached his ceiling. Luke is not a QB, IMO. So that leaves Smothers and Haarberg (who is a long-term project) as the only options currently on the roster.

I would be in favor of bringing in a grad transfer who can compete for the job, and I think Frost is beginning to see that, too.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I really think we screwed ourselves thinking/being pressured into switching QBs.  We didn't realize that Northwestern's defense was that good.  Ohio State still needs 50 yards in the last 9 minutes to have more than we did against NW.

Yep.  Martinez had a bad game against a good defense and Frost listened to the noise and I really think that set us back a bit..  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My comments are based around the current roster. I think Adrian’s body has broken down so he has pretty much reached his ceiling. Luke is not a QB, IMO. So that leaves Smothers and Haarberg (who is a long-term project) as the only options currently on the roster.

I would be in favor of bringing in a grad transfer who can compete for the job, and I think Frost is beginning to see that, too.

I agree with a grad transfer, BUT other than potential, do we have a true QB on the roster? AM's HS numbers were better than Smother's.

• jsneb83 locked and unlocked this topic