Interesting holding stats for NU

Wasn’t there that stretch we had drawn only 1-2 holds in like 19 games a few yrs back?

There is bias. 

also, we don’t aggressively rush or blitz much on defense so why would a team hold? It’s like a basketball player “gets calls” because he aggressively goes to the hoop 

• Plus1 1

In the 2018 Minnesota game, the Gophers were called for holding, negating a 37-yard touchdown.

It was the first time a Nebraska opponent had been called for holding since October, 2016 when Illinois was called for holding in the first quarter.

21 straight league games between holding calls on a Nebraska opponent at that time.

I have no idea if any opponents were called for holding since the 2018 Minny game. But it'd be interesting to find out. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, I am I said:

Wasn’t there that stretch we had drawn only 1-2 holds in like 19 games a few yrs back?

There is bias. 

also, we don’t aggressively rush or blitz much on defense so why would a team hold? It’s like a basketball player “gets calls” because he aggressively goes to the hoop 

^^^^^this!

NU fans see "bias".  The rest of college football sees a defensive front that lacks aggression, strength, and speed.  Hopefully they get to a point where offensive lines need to hold them once in a while to try and save a play...

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

^^^^^this!

NU fans see "bias".  The rest of college football sees a defensive front that lacks aggression, strength, and speed.  Hopefully they get to a point where offensive lines need to hold them once in a while to try and save a play...

It seems that our D line likes to engage the blockers and maintain their gaps vs trying to aggressively go around the blocker to make a play.   It’s frustrating to watch on passing plays, but I suppose it helps with defending the run/QB scramble.   Plus when our lbs do blitz, they seem to smack right into a waiting O linemen or running back.  Basically we suck at pressuring the QB most of the time.  I’d say the disparity it’s more scheme than bias.  But who knows.   

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

But anyone who watches the games sees 2-3 egregious holds against the Nebraska defense that goes uncalled. 

Agreed, an average team lucks into a few holding calls a season on a fluke play, QB scrambling, slow lineman catching a mistake, etc. I'm not going to go so far as a conspiracy but there must be that mentality of 'Nebraska doesn't rush the passer' or the lines we face are all-conference players every week because to have such disparity is unusual. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, GSG said:

Is this holding or just a good tackle? :lol:

They've been talking him up as the best Center in the country, obviously he wouldn't hold. /s

I really think traditionally good OLs get the benefit of the doubt - I don't think it's targeted against Nebraska. But we have to be submitting these to the league office, and you'd think eventually the refs would call what they see instead of they are told to expect to see from Iowa/Wisconsin/etc. And maybe they are just that bad and don't see it. 

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I really think traditionally good OLs get the benefit of the doubt - I don't think it's targeted against Nebraska

We had the Davis twins on the D Line during the years when Nebraska opponents weren't called for holding over 21 straight league games. Those dudes are in the NFL. 

No one can tell me we didn't have the talent to put pressure on the QB, or to induce holding from an opponent. We shouldn't have to have an elite pass-rusher to get a holding call. 

Not one penalty in 21 games from 2016-2018?  Not one through five games this year? 

• Plus1 4