Transfer Portal?

Aliens05

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I would happily take Freshman Martinez over Sophomore or Junior Martinez. 

One is his Freshman year, one is his Junior year:

Season A: 71.5%, 7.0 ypa, 135.0 QB rating; PFF Grades: Overall: 77.9, Passing: 65.1, Rushing: 80.8

Season B: 64.6%, 7.5 ypa, 139.5 QB rathin; PFF Grades: Overall: 73.8, Passing: 71.0, Rushing: 68.7

Which is which?  What makes that one so much better?

• Plus1 3

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Season A: 71.5%, 7.0 ypa, 135.0 QB rating; PFF Grades: Overall: 77.9, Passing: 65.1, Rushing: 80.8

Season B: 64.6%, 7.5 ypa, 139.5 QB rathin; PFF Grades: Overall: 73.8, Passing: 71.0, Rushing: 68.7

I get your point, and frankly I was impressed with what Adrian did after coming off the bench, but TD's are an important stat that won't compare favorably from his Fr. year to his Jr. year.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I get your point, and frankly I was impressed with what Adrian did after coming off the bench, but TD's are an important stat that won't compare favorably from his Fr. year to his Jr. year.

They are, but IMO it just shows a lot of the offensive regression hasn't been the QB. Some for sure, but he did show he could throw TDs as a freshman. And with respect to the Verduzco haters, I don't think he forgot or was coached out of being able to do so. Had a few dropped this year as well, most of which should have been better thrown but still could've been caught. 

1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

Number of games played also does not compare between the two.  Nor does having a couple easier opponents at the beginning of the year to pad the stats and work the kinks out.

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

That info is missing way too many key stats to decide. Passing yards, passing TDS, rushing TDS, interceptions, fumbles, explosive passing plays IE passes over 20 yards 

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

One season took place as a true freshman so the assumption is much room to grow and improve.  The other is as a third year starting junior playing the same as a true freshman did and limited years to grow. 

• Plus1 1

Martinez finished the 2020 season on a strong note. 3 of the last 4 games he complete 75% or better for his passes, finally threw some passing TD's, and averaged 250 yards passing for 2 out of the last 3 games. For him next season, just need the deep ball to come alive and score some passing TD's. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

The real reason McCaffrey left is that he failed to beat out Martinez when he had the chance to do it and chances were Smothers would beat out McCaffrey for 2nd string. You don't go from throwing for over 4k yards and 40 TD's and a lot of rushing yards in high school to being a 3rd string QB your second year on campus. 

Martinez should be around for 2 more years and Smothers will have 4 years. We just need to build depth behind those 2. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

That info is missing way too many key stats to decide. Passing yards, passing TDS, rushing TDS, interceptions, fumbles, explosive passing plays IE passes over 20 yards 

So all the stats that are dependent on opportunities (i.e., games played) and are thus useless for comparing different seasons where those are not equal.

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, uberism said:

Martinez finished the 2020 season on a strong note. 3 of the last 4 games he complete 75% or better for his passes, finally threw some passing TD's, and averaged 250 yards passing for 2 out of the last 3 games. For him next season, just need the deep ball to come alive and score some passing TD's. 

One of the biggest issues with 2AM is the health of his shoulder.  When it was healthy, he played very well.  After it got dinged up again, his accuracy went down some.  I'm actually surprised we haven't heard of him having another surgery.  Hopefully it was just a ding that caused soreness instead of more damage and can heal between now and Spring Practice.  With even more healing over the summer.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

So all the stats that are dependent on opportunities (i.e., games played) and are thus useless for comparing different seasons where those are not equal.

Ok do it on a per game average. Regardless of how many games played or what the stats were. If you watched the games you can not with a straight face say Martinez the last 2 years looked better or equal to freshman Martinez. The fact it is even debatable shows you how little development there is. 

Stanley Morgan (3 catches for 18 yards in his 2 year NFL career) moved on to pros after his freshman year. Sophomore year still had spielman- added wandale robinson. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Ok do it on a per game average. Regardless of how many games played or what the stats were. If you watched the games you can not with a straight face say Martinez the last 2 years looked better or equal to freshman Martinez. The fact it is even debatable shows you how little development there is. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that last year he was as good or better.  But, this year he was....minus legitimate threats around him in the offense.  

Just because you don't think so, thus debating it....doesn't mean anything as far as development.

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, this year he was....

I don't think this is true. The fact Frost thought it was worth a try to let Luke get a start and come in for multiple series all year is a good sign Frost wasn't sold on Mart this year. I think you would agree with me Freshman Martinez you were not taking him out of the game EVER.