** 2021 Opponent Previews : Oklahoma (Game 4) **

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Forgive me for not putting much stock in your predictions. Not that anyone should put much stock in mine either, but we know very little about MSU at this point and I don't get all the Mel Tucker love. 2019 Colorado was a complete defensive meltdown on our end, I still don't see the "outcoached" angle from that game. The team's confidence just shattered, which I guess you could attribute to coaching but definitely not to schem

1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

We are due to win one of these. Why not this week.

No disagreement about being due for a marquee victory, but it will need to be earned.  I think your view, and that of many, is that a win such as this is much like the lottery, one simply falls into it and as a result, there is a wellspring of success thereafter.  The same structural problems exist today as they did 3 years ago and those are not simply going to disappear.  

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Forgive me for not putting much stock in your predictions. Not that anyone should put much stock in mine either, but we know very little about MSU at this point and I don't get all the Mel Tucker love. 2019 Colorado was a complete defensive meltdown on our end, I still don't see the "outcoached" angle from that game. The team's confidence just shattered, which I guess you could attribute to coaching but definitely not to scheme.

I try to avoid score predictions, but I stand by the assertion that this would be a close game.  Uncomfortably close for many as the game was 14-3 entering the 4th Quarter.  In terms of Coach Tucker, he bested us while at CU and that was absolutely a coaching meltdown for a team seemingly in complete control in the First Half.  MSU is the more physical team right now and that will ultimately prove true in two weeks.

• Plus1 2

Just now, All Hail Herbie said:

I try to avoid score predictions, but I stand by the assertion that this would be a close game.  Uncomfortably close for many as the game was 14-3 entering the 4th Quarter.  In terms of Coach Tucker, he bested us while at CU and that was absolutely a coaching meltdown for a team seemingly in complete control in the First Half.  MSU is the more physical team right now and that will ultimately prove true in two weeks.

That was not a close game though, and it could have easily been 24-3 at the half if we make a short field goal and they don't call a BS pass interference. I'm not even counting the deep shot to Betts that was legitimately called back. The only reason it felt close is because we've been trained over the last couple decades to expect the worst - to impartial observers, that game was closer to a 40 point win than a 3-7 point win.

And we'll see - MSU looks good, definitely better than I expected coming into the year. But I think we match up pretty well on paper. We'll find out in 2 weeks! Forgot this was the Oklahoma thread - FWIW, I have very little hope for that game. Think we could play out of our minds and keep it close, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think our chance at catching them sleeping was wasted by Tulane. 

• Haha 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

That was not a close game though, and it could have easily been 24-3 at the half if we make a short field goal and they don't call a BS pass interference. I'm not even counting the deep shot to Betts that was legitimately called back. The only reason it felt close is because we've been trained over the last couple decades to expect the worst - to impartial observers, that game was closer to a 40 point win than a 3-7 point win.

And we'll see - MSU looks good, definitely better than I expected coming into the year. But I think we match up pretty well on paper. We'll find out in 2 weeks! Forgot this was the Oklahoma thread - FWIW, I have very little hope for that game. Think we could play out of our minds and keep it close, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think our chance at catching them sleeping was wasted by Tulane. 

Regardless of score, or first half mishaps, did you feel comfortable that the outcome was settled and the game in hand as we entered the 4th Quarter?  If not, would a consistent and bruising rushing attack throughout have given you more comfort?  That was part of my prediction last week; that we lack that physical identity to pound the ball and wear the opponents down late in games.  Mix in mental lapses, execution errors, and poor play calling, and voila, we are just hanging on against a subpar opponent.  

Agreed on OU, they will not be caught napping.  In terms of MSU, I agree that they look far ahead of the team that was fielded last year.  Very impressed with their line play and their commitment to a strong rushing attack.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, hskrfan4life said:

Because we haven't won a game like this in a while. Duh

My point is we haven’t been particularly close to beating an opponent of that caliber. We are however due to beat 1/2 in Iowa (boy that wouldn't be nice this year) or Wisconsin. 

• Plus1 3

Like many of you I don't see how we win this game, not saying there is not a chance, but I don't see it.  I will say this though, within the last 10 plus years, hell maybe longer, we have had to endure that possibility of getting 60-70 points rolled up on us by elite teams.  With that being said, this is probably the first time in a long time that I feel our defense is strong enough to keep us in the game.  

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Decked said:

My point is we haven’t been particularly close to beating an opponent of that caliber. We are however due to beat 1/2 in Iowa (boy that wouldn't be nice this year) or Wisconsin. 

My point is also was Purdue particularly close to beating an opponent of that caliber when they blew out Ohio State?

Teams win games when they're not supposed to. I'm not saying we deserve to, just that we're due. Just like when an 0-3 hitter is due to grab his first hit

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, NebraskaHarry said:

If Nebraska's offense and special teams give up 0 points to Oklahoma and the defense can somehow keep Oklahoma under 20 points themselves, Nebraska might have a chance to win this game. 

How sweet Nebraska - 21, Oklahoma - 20 would be.

I expect it more like Oklahoma - 34, Nebraska - 13

So I really like our defense - I think they're very good, and could keep us in this game. But the last time someone held Oklahoma to under 20 points Bob Stoops was still the coach. Guys who played in that game are in their 6th year in the NFL. I think to be close we probably need a defensive score or two, because however good they are they will give up some points. Giving up 34 honestly wouldn't be terrible - then you need the offense to score 21-28 and defense to pick one up. Not counting on it, but more likely than 21-20 unfortunately. 

In my opinion this OU game is not only an important game for the team but also for Frost.  Frost was hired to get Nebraska back to the level Oklahoma is at yet we all know the program has struggled.  I see 3 possible outcomes from this game that affects the weeks ahead for the team and for Frost specifically.

• Scenario 1-Nebraska shocks the world and wins the game.  This win would earn Frost back some goodwill from a doubting fanbase, and if the program ends the season above .500 (like 7-5), Frost may see another year
  • Scenario 2-Oklahoma wins, but NU keeps it close and looks respectable.  This outcome would take a bit of heat off Frost as nobody expects Nebraska to win the game, and its essentially giving him life for another week.
  • Scenario 3-Oklahoma easily beats Nebraska and the gap between the 2 programs is glaring.  Under this scenario, the calls for Frost's ouster will get louder, and with USC already firing their coach mid-season (a coach who was 46-24 at USC), the chances for a season above .500 get smaller heading into BIG play.

I know coaches tell their players to take each game one at a time, and that is very true for the team, but from the bigger picture, I see this Oklahoma matchup as a very telling one.  Let's hope Scenario 1 happens and we can all be filled with joy this Saturday!

12 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

In my opinion this OU game is not only an important game for the team but also for Frost.  Frost was hired to get Nebraska back to the level Oklahoma is at yet we all know the program has struggled.  I see 3 possible outcomes from this game that affects the weeks ahead for the team and for Frost specifically.

• Scenario 1-Nebraska shocks the world and wins the game.  This win would earn Frost back some goodwill from a doubting fanbase, and if the program ends the season above .500 (like 7-5), Frost may see another year
  • Scenario 2-Oklahoma wins, but NU keeps it close and looks respectable.  This outcome would take a bit of heat off Frost as nobody expects Nebraska to win the game, and its essentially giving him life for another week.
  • Scenario 3-Oklahoma easily beats Nebraska and the gap between the 2 programs is glaring.  Under this scenario, the calls for Frost's ouster will get louder, and with USC already firing their coach mid-season (a coach who was 46-24 at USC), the chances for a season above .500 get smaller heading into BIG play.

I know coaches tell their players to take each game one at a time, and that is very true for the team, but from the bigger picture, I see this Oklahoma matchup as a very telling one.  Let's hope Scenario 1 happens and we can all be filled with joy this Saturday!

Steve Pederson is no longer the athletic director.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

My point is also was Purdue particularly close to beating an opponent of that caliber when they blew out Ohio State?

Teams win games when they're not supposed to. I'm not saying we deserve to, just that we're due. Just like when an 0-3 hitter is due to grab his first hit

Roulette wheel kept hitting red for 8 turns in a row. It was due! Poor college kid me ended up losing $150 bucks because it didn't hit black for 7 more turns... Nobody is ever due.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1