Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm really interested in seeing how this plays out.  I think this is a very smart move to counter the power the SEC/ESPN have now.  

I'm particularly interested in two things:

a). How does this influence the NCAA?  These three conferences are obviously going to vote as a block which takes a lot of power away from the SEC.  How will we see the NCAA change?  Will we see actual, real investigations into SEC teams that everyone knows have been breaking rules for decades?

b). Will these three conferences basically black ball the SEC in scheduling?  I know that wouldn't change much with football.  The top programs in the SEC have purposely not scheduled P5 programs outside the SEC footprint for a very long time.  But, how does this affect other sports like basketball?

A non-binding agreement that cannot possibly negotiate a contract in the jext ten years. I'd rank this as a Congressional Caucus or a here today gone tomorrow Italian Parliament 

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sam had some thoughts on the Pick 6 podcast, but the alliance isn't so much for scheduling but, as pointed out that the ACC, B1G, and PAC weren't at the table for Playoff expansion, to prevent the NCAA from folding too soon without having a body to control things in place if/when it does. Also another point is that they might want to delay playoff expansion far enough that ESPN doesn't control the broadcast rights from the get go and they can be bid on by other networks.

8 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Considering our quality of play in recent history, being stuck in a lower tier conference might not be all bad.  Recruiting could become interesting.  If the SEC locks down the Southeast and the state of Texas, this leaves an awful lot of schools fighting for the Northern and California players.  Parity in college football remains a myth with regards to the top programs.  It seems it's the same teams year after year in the playoff.  I fail to see how this changes.    

And a difference of 40+ million per year when our contract is renewed.  The schools that are missing out on that kind of money will eventually be way behind the top programs.  

16 hours ago, GSG said:

Here we go again

21 hours ago, TGHusker said:

A and B are valid points and things I wonder about as well.  Here is a C

c)  The obvious omission is the Big 12 lonely 8.  Is it assumed that the Big 12 will pass away as soon as OU/Tx leave - whether that be in four years or in 2022? If so, is there a 'hidden plan' in place on how those 8 teams are swallowed up by the ACC/Big 10/Pac 12

Example:

WV, Baylor  to ACC

TCU & TT, OSU  to Pac 12

KSU, KU, ISU to Big 10

Of the list above - the only ones that really make sense to me are:  WV to ACC - very natural fit travel wise

and KU to Big 10 - AAU and Basketball Fit. ISU may add some value to the Big 10. 

OSU adds football value and if basketball rebounds they add basketball value but they just don't seem to fit the BIg 10.

But then again we got Rutgers!

TCU, TT, KSU, OSU, Baylor almost seem destined to go to the Mtn West or merge wt the AAC.  

I bit different than what I thought.  We'll see what happens.  Let the Texas 3 die on the vine by going to the AAC or Mtn West.  Their Big Brother, Texas, surely won't help them. 

17 hours ago, GSG said:

Here we go again

Sorry, but I'm going to call bulls*** on Iowa State to the B1G. It does absolutely f****** nothing to help the B1G and dilutes the payout. 

With Kansas, at least there's basketball to drive revenue. Kansas is one of the few that can drive revenue and eyeballs outside of the NCAA tournament, so they make sense. But Iowa State? C'mon, that's stupid as hell. 

Hell, I'd be more apt to believe horsetrading between the conferences would take place and Colorado would join the B1G before I'd believe Iowa State joining. And I don't believe that will happen either. 

Also, if Iowa State did happen, say goodbye to Iowa on Black Friday, and hello to Kansas. Or Colorado if the scheduling alliance thing works out. 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Sorry, but I'm going to call bulls*** on Iowa State to the B1G. It does absolutely f****** nothing to help the B1G and dilutes the payout. 

With Kansas, at least there's basketball to drive revenue. Kansas is one of the few that can drive revenue and eyeballs outside of the NCAA tournament, so they make sense. But Iowa State? C'mon, that's stupid as hell. 

Hell, I'd be more apt to believe horsetrading between the conferences would take place and Colorado would join the B1G before I'd believe Iowa State joining. And I don't believe that will happen either. 

Also, if Iowa State did happen, say goodbye to Iowa on Black Friday, and hello to Kansas. Or Colorado if the scheduling alliance thing works out. 

I bet ISU has a bigger loyal following than CU.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I bet ISU has a bigger loyal following than CU.

It's about television sets and media rights. Iowa is already on lockdown by the B1G. 

Seriously--there's nothing of value that Iowa State brings to the B1G. I don't get why people can't understand this.