Help Me Understand why NU is a 7 point favorite

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What is EV?

Electron-Volts. The measure of an amount of kinetic energy gained by a single electron accelerating from rest through an electric potential difference of one volt in vacuum.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I grabbed Michigan at +2.5.  Now it is Michigan -3

Fairly surprised you took it at Michigan +2.5. If Wisconsin embarrasses them like they did in 2019 right before they play us it could really demoralize them though and put them in a "who gives af" mentality when they roll in to town, hopefully.   :)

Just now, Undone said:

Fairly surprised you took it at Michigan +2.5. If Wisconsin embarrasses them like they did in 2019 right before they play us it could really demoralize them though and put them in a "who gives af" mentality when they roll in to town, hopefully.   :)

For sure but just from a gambling standpoint that line was hard to pass up.

I also got NU -10.5 vs Buffalo and that is not -15.5

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

The posts about Vegas determining the line so they can make money (make $ bets going the way they want) ring the loudest.  Their considerations as to merits of each team, our O vs their D, turnover percentages, history, etc play into it but they don't come out of it saying Nebraska is better than Illinois and the 7 point win is how much better.  They come out of it saying hey folks place your money in copious amounts on the loser so we can have another yacht and you can wring your hands over gas prices. 

Jimmy the Greek made the Colts a 17 point favorite over the Jets in Super Bowl III.
When the sports press was highly critical over his line after the game, He replied “That was the best line I ever made“

There has been a lot of misinformation about Vegas betting, and maybe most
of you already know this, Teachercd gets it, and I don’t want to talk
down to anyone so here is a refresher betting 101:
VEGAS DOESN’T CARE WHO WINS! They are like a holding company,
They take a bet from Al the cab driver in NYC for Nebraska -7 for $110 to win $100.
They take a bet from Joe the barber in LA for Illinois +7 for $110 to win $100.
Vegas does not care who wins. They will get $10 (vig) and all that does add up.
Vegas sets the line to predict who will be putting down cash on equal sides.
(It is the public who sifts through data with the offense vs defense matchups, coaching advantage, QB, revenge game, home field, returning starters, injuries, etc. and bets accordingly) You are betting against someone who bet against you, not Vegas.
If too much action is on one side, then the line moves.

Someone mentioned earlier that they do a scary good job at this. Very true.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Jimmy the Greek made the Colts a 17 point favorite over the Jets in Super Bowl III.
When the sports press was highly critical over his line after the game, He replied “That was the best line I ever made“

There has been a lot of misinformation about Vegas betting, and maybe most
of you already know this, Teachercd gets it, and I don’t want to talk
down to anyone so here is a refresher betting 101:
VEGAS DOESN’T CARE WHO WINS! They are like a holding company,
They take a bet from Al the cab driver in NYC for Nebraska -7 for $110 to win $100.
They take a bet from Joe the barber in LA for Illinois +7 for $110 to win $100.
Vegas does not care who wins. They will get $10 (vig) and all that does add up.
Vegas sets the line to predict who will be putting down cash on equal sides.
(It is the public who sifts through data with the offense vs defense matchups, coaching advantage, QB, revenge game, home field, returning starters, injuries, etc. and bets accordingly) You are betting against someone who bet against you, not Vegas.
If too much action is on one side, then the line moves.

Someone mentioned earlier that they do a scary good job at this. Very true.

Very true.

A real life example was that years ago, I was in Vegas in March.  I wanted to place a bet on the Cubs winning the world series that year.  I was shocked to find out that the betting odds didn't pay out very much if they won.  When I asked why, they said it's because everyone comes to put money on the Cubs so they can say they had the bet.  

Vegas doesn't care.  All they care about is getting equal money on both sides.

On 8/24/2021 at 1:52 PM, teachercd said:

Do yourself a solid

Tease NU to -1 (or even if you can) and Ohio State to -6.5 at Minny

MGM finally released the Saturday games. Can now get Nebraska anywhere from +4 to about -18. Somebody must’ve dropped a chunk on Illinois tonight. As I was perusing the site, the line changed to -6.5 and the odds on all the lines adjusted greatly. Still can’t get tOSU for anything other than -13.5

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

MGM finally released the Saturday games. Can now get Nebraska anywhere from +4 to about -18. Somebody must’ve dropped a chunk on Illinois tonight. As I was perusing the site, the line changed to -6.5 and the odds on all the lines adjusted greatly. Still can’t get tOSU for anything other than -13.5

MGM must not be a loose as these online sites.

Some whispers that two Illini starters are out.

• Haha 1