Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

6 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Let's just be honest, this all goes without saying.  Any other coaching hire with this record would not have seen a 4th season, let alone a 5th (as I believe he will get).

I just recognize that sentimentality is a strong pull in the face of reality.  As a fanbase, we begin by excusing his methods and then expand that to excuse his results.  Whether we care to admit it is another matter entirely.

I’ll chime in.  I’m somewhat guilty of this.  But, it’s not necessarily only in the interest of sentiment.  There’s a little of that.  More so it’s the want of long term stability.  Like not worrying your coach is going to jump ship for a “better” job whenever there’s an SEC opening, for example.  More like a Kirk Ferentz type tenure with, of course, better results.   

2 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Riley and Cally might not have had the same issues as Frost but Bo sure as s#!t did when it came to kids and family stuff. 

Bo Pelini was a newlywed when he took the job, and had two children in his first three years here while having no children at previous coaching stops?

That is not true.

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Bo Pelini was a newlywed when he took the job, and had two children in his first three years here while having no children at previous coaching stops?

That is not true.

He might not have been a newlywed but his kids were young and involved in a lot of activities that he had to miss or try to enjoy but got hounded by fans nonstop. I witnessed it firsthand as my boy played with his kid and Carl’s

• Plus1 1
Just now, Stumpy1 said:

He might not have been a newlywed but his kids were young and involved in a lot of activities that he had to miss or try to enjoy but got hounded by fans nonstop. I witnessed it firsthand as my boy played with his kid and Carl’s

And he had those kids, and his wife, at previous coaching stops.

Frost had none of those.

Again, not an excuse. Context.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And he had those kids, and his wife, at previous coaching stops.

Frost had none of those.

Again, not an excuse. Context.

Frost got married while at Oregon.  

But I do agree that everything he has had happen while at Nebraska  will takes a toll on things.  Hopefully he can balance it all and become the coach we are hoping. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Do you see anyone on "this board" giving these examples as reasons to keep Frost? 

I wouldn't say as examples, but as a subconscious reason to overlook losing seasons and hope for better next year.  I remember a buddy asking me what if your prodigal son doesn't work out?  Would you eat your own?  At that point, I was like hell know.  He will get NU on track quickly.  Might take a year or two, but he will right this ship.....Now he we are.  What makes it hard is Frost is one of us.  For a lot, born and bred a Husker.  Fan before he could walk.  Dreamed of playing for NU.  Left and returned twice.  The first bringing glory and another NC. The 2nd not so much. But we all hoped and still do. not one person on here doesn't want him to win at least 3 of the last 4.  Did anyone feel that way with Riley?  Cally?  It's because it's Frost.  And because for every NU fan, he's a little bit of us......

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Agreed, and more. He got married, had two kids, his father passed away...

He had none of those distractions at UCF. That all takes a toll on a guy. 

Is this an excuse or just an observation?  He’s hardly the first coach to have kids. And if they are a distraction, he shouldn’t have taken the job. Or maybe that’s a lesson for us. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Let's just be honest, this all goes without saying.  Any other coaching hire with this record would not have seen a 4th season, let alone a 5th (as I believe he will get).

I just recognize that sentimentality is a strong pull in the face of reality.  As a fanbase, we begin by excusing his methods and then expand that to excuse his results.  Whether we care to admit it is another matter entirely.

I posted this in another thread a few weeks back. It's called familiarity bias where some show a favoritism toward those they are more familiar with, and because of that, they are unable to objectively evaluate that person as they might somebody they were not familiar with.  It is hard for some fans to admit they are giving Frost's special treatment compared to another coach that had no ties to Nebraska.  

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I posted this in another thread a few weeks back. It's called familiarity bias where some show a favoritism toward those they are more familiar with, and because of that, they are unable to objectively evaluate that person as they might somebody they were not familiar with.  It is hard for some fans to admit they are giving Frost's special treatment compared to another coach that had no ties to Nebraska.  

Have you noticed that none of the media is writing about how Frost is gone is he doesn't win "x" number of games?

You know how you often say when a new AD is brought in the job of the football coach is usually in jeopardy?

When you have a chance, take a look at Sipple's article today (I think today?) about why Frost is appearing so calm......

• Haha 1
Just now, TheSker said:

Have you noticed that mine if the media is writing about how Frost is gone is he doesn't win "x" number of games?

You know how you often say when a new AD is brought in the job of the football coach is usually in jeopardy?

When you have a chance, take a look at Sipple's article today (I think today?) about why Frost is appearing so calm......

Because he's gonna get 20 mil. 

• Plus1 5
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic