Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

Just now, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree.  Two more years of mediocrity would do longer term damage to the program.  While the 2022 schedule is the easiest I have seen in over a decade, the 2023 is tougher and the 2024 schedule is brutal. By 2024 Alberts will be expected to have shown he can turn around the football program, and if he waits until after the 2023 season to make a change, that really puts his job on the line heading into 2024.  

Dang man....you've already got Trev on the hot seat.

6 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If it happens, It will at minimum be initially depressing to most husker fans.

I do think Scott has had a lot of bad luck and things happened that were out of his control.  Between scheduling, Covid, cancelled games, Transfer portal issues, players getting in legal trouble, etc he has had a hell of a challenge during the rebuild.  People can argue intricacies about what was in or wasn't in his control but either way, it's been tough. 

At this point, those excuses do have to be swept aside IF the team doesn't turn it around for the last 4 games.  We have a few games left against teams that we can, and should, beat imo.  Get that done and most would want him back for another year to see if the momentum continues.      

Agreed, and more. He got married, had two kids, his father passed away...

He had none of those distractions at UCF. That all takes a toll on a guy. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

He is actually already the worst coach since Bill Jennings. He is more or less one of the coaches that we had between Bible and Devaney. Hopefully he is the Jennings one and our next rights the ship and not the 4th or 5th one and we still have a couple firings to go. 

We are already an afterthought nationally. No where to go but up. I just don’t think Frost is the guy to do it based on results so far. Have to use the current data and trending. He continues to trend downward after each game. If we come out flat and lose to Purdue that will be the tipping point for Trev.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Dang man....you've already got Trev on the hot seat.

It's not really Trev.  I would say any new AD stepping into a major program would be expected to have turned around the cash cow program (football) in the athletic department.  Trev just got hired and has plenty of time to do what is right for the program.  You seem to be reading too much into things or perhaps simply do not like to think ahead.  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Agreed, and more. He got married, had two kids, his father passed away...

He had none of those distractions at UCF. That all takes a toll on a guy. 

You can say the same about Pelini, Riley, Callahan. They all went through tough stuff. The difference is they all had better overall winning percentages than Frost. Feel sorry all you want and make all the excuses you want. It doesn’t change his results.

• Plus1 3

23 hours ago, lo country said:

Bo will never go down as one of the top (insert number here) coaches in CFB history.  He did manage to get us 9-10 wins per year.  Took over for a poor performing coach, with players who had quit and change culture.  Then go into a new conference where everyone was after us after playing the final year in the Big XII where everyone including the refs were out to get us.  And still got the 9-10 wins.....I'd like to think that had he been better supported, he might have had more success here.  Surely we can find a guy with at least Bo's coaching acumen and with the support and resources can make a go of things here.....As much as I and every poster want Frost to succeed, I sadly do not see it.  Maybe he rallies the players, the US vs the WORLD mentality and they go down swinging and get us bowling.  That's be phenomenal.  And a sign that maybe he can turn things around.  But barring that, I am unsure how Trev would allow the status quo to continue.

Imagine Nebraska beating Illinois, Buffalo, Bethune-Cookman, Purdue, Maryland, Northwestern, and Minnesota every year, but losing to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa and a non-con foe every year -- with two of them nationally televised blowouts.  As good as 9-4 might sound right now, after seven years we would get tired of being largely irrelevant in the conference and the national rankings. 

We had a chance to see how Bo did at his hometown college with major AD support and he fared no better -- either football or PR wise. I think Bo fostered the "everyone is out to get us" thing to shift blame, and it was actually pretty poisonous to blame the fans, media and refs for s#!t Bo brought upon himself, including putting loyalty above talent in the staff he assembled. 

There are a limited number of P5 head coaching positions in the world, and the best ones have rabid fanbases and high expectations. There will be good coaches who want to come here, but they may not be waving a proven HC resume. We want the guy who digs the challenge. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If we have learned anything from the Frost era, it is that no wins are easy including against teams we should beat.  I am not sure why you assume we would have beaten PSU, Purdue or Rutgers given Frost has a .323 winning percentage against Big Ten foes.  When you start playing the "What If" game about past seasons, it's a sign there are few excuses left to justify reality.  

Um... we did beat them....

1 minute ago, FTW said:

You can say the same about Pelini, Riley, Callahan. They all went through tough stuff. The difference is they all had better overall winning percentages than Frost. Feel sorry all you want and make all the excuses you want. It doesn’t change his results.

Look, Frost isn't getting it done, but no you absolutely cannot say the same thing about any of those coaches.

I'm not making excuses for Frost. It's the job, he isn't getting it done, period. But that context is real whether people are happy with it or not.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Um... we did beat them....

Sorry I misread what you had written and frankly am looking at too many seasons with a bunch of L's in them. :) With that said, I still do not believe we can go back in time and project a much better 2020 season given what we have seen over the past 4 years.  We lose to teams we are expected to beat, and then have random games like against NW where we look amazing.  

I would argue that a coach of a top 10 all time wins program with 2 losing seasons in 4 years would likely be gone by the end of year 4.  We just saw USC fire their coach who had 1 losing season in 6 years as coach, we are seeing LSU fire Orgeron who just one a championship less than 2 years ago, Texas fired Herman who never had a single losing season in 4 years, etc...  

47 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Yes, significantly underperforming against the toughest schedule in the nation. I watched us play 3 top 10 teams and thought we over performed against each of them.

Schedule is ranked anywhere from 13th to 24th right now from what I am seeing. Others have harder schedules and still have better records. Falling back on that is just another excuse.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/guides/resources/ncaaf-strength-schedule-rankings/

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

55 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. Tommy Armstrong came alive and the whole unit clicked in a hurry up offense they mastered in just weeks, against some of the top physical talent in the nation. The Husker D couldn't quite hold up its end of the bargain.

That was the first game Tim Beck got to draw up an offense without the oversight of Bo Pelini.

That USC team was loaded from a physical talent standpoint.  I think there were something like 15 NFL guys on that roster.  If not for Adoree Jackson doing Adoree Jackson things, Nebraska might've gotten the W.  I linked the USC roster for fun, man I totally forgot USC had Agoholor and Smith Shuster plus Buck Allen on that team.  Plus Huskerboard favorite Su'a Cravens at DB alongside Leonard Williams.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-california/2014-roster.html

In fairness, Scott Frost benefitted from hugely reduced expectations. Pelini was expected to turn things around immediately from Callahan, and he did. But 9-4 didn't meet expectations. Mike Riley was expected to turn things around immediately from Pelini, and he didn't. Riley didn't get a pass for close losses his first season, got maybe one pass for turning in a Bo like second season in 2016, and was a dead man walking after losing to Northern Illinois in the third game of his third season.

Scott Frost came in and took Nebraska to an 0-6 start, worst in program history. But when that same team finished 4-2, I felt really good about Nebraska's future under Frost, despite the 4-8 record. Husker Nation was in a forgiving mood and surely we were turning the corner

I guess that's where the pressure started. 

• Plus1 2
  • Enhance locked and unlocked this topic