Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I also think there's a non-zero chance if we finish 5-7 or worse, Frost says no to staff changes, says this isn't working out and takes an open group of 5 gig in Florida (FIU or USF?). Just a thought. 

If Frost would leave and take one of those jobs only to have the same success he had at UCF, that would be a huge indictment of if anyone can be successful here.  Top coaches would start wondering can anyone recruit to Nebraska to be successful in a P5 conference and win the way fans expect.

I don't believe that to be true.  But, from the outside, it would really make top coaches wonder.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I didn't say one way or the other.  But, some people in this thread don't think we can go out and get one of the hot coaches.  

My comment is saying, if we can't go get a hot coach, what are we changing for?  Are people saying we should make a change even though we are going to go get a coach that is unproven and isn't a splash hire?

I think they can get a splash hire those who say or feel otherwise are just defeatists that have zero faith in the athletic department to make a solid hire, IMO. They’re the type of fans who have no hope. They don’t see the many positives this program offers and can sell to a coach under serious consideration.

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, FTW said:

Unless we win 3 out of 4, he’s no Bill Jennings. He won’t be brought back for another year

Based on what you’ve heard?  Or just a guess?  IIRC, back in 2017, you seemed to know Moos was targeting Frost before most of us did.   Your sources are better than mine.  

4 minutes ago, FTW said:

I think they can get a splash hire those who say or feel otherwise are just defeatists that have zero faith in the athletic department to make a solid hire, IMO. They’re the type of fans who have no hope. They don’t see the many positives this program offers and can sell to a coach under serious consideration.

Well.....there are hundreds of pages on this site about how well the athletic department has done making splash hires over the past 20 years 

Keep the faith!!

9 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Based on what you’ve heard?  Or just a guess?  IIRC, back in 2017, you seemed to know Moos was targeting Frost before most of us did.   Your sources are better than mine.  

Yes to the first question. As for 2017, Frost was contacted shortly after Riley was let go. There was mutual interest then not known publicly. He was the hire that made the most sense (at the time) but as most people know, these things don’t always work out.

With our recent memory as a fan base, we can’t compare Frost to anyone else but Riley and Callahan. If we don’t go to a bowl, the outcome doesn’t change for SF just because he’s part of our history. And if he has success elsewhere, more power to him. It’s unfortunate it hasn’t worked out at NU.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FTW said:

Yes to the first question. As for 2017, Frost was contacted shortly after Riley was let go. There was mutual interest then not known publicly. He was the hire that made the most sense (at the time) but as most people know, these things don’t always work out.

With our recent memory as a fan base, we can’t compare Frost to anyone else but Riley and Callahan. If we don’t go to a bowl, the outcome doesn’t change for SF just because he’s part of our history. And if he has success elsewhere, more power to him. It’s unfortunate it hasn’t worked out at NU.

Frost was contacted waaaaay before Riley was let go.

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Frost would leave and take one of those jobs only to have the same success he had at UCF, that would be a huge indictment of if anyone can be successful here.  Top coaches would start wondering can anyone recruit to Nebraska to be successful in a P5 conference and win the way fans expect.

I don't believe that to be true.  But, from the outside, it would really make top coaches wonder.

I do think Frost could be successful at another program down the road, but it will require a great deal of self-awareness on his part to understand what failed at Nebraska.  As we look at his 5-plus seasons as a head coach, it's apparent that the 2017 UCF season was a fluke compared to the other seasons.  In essence, he is getting paid $5 million a year for on the job training, and he is learning how to lead in a P5 conference on Nebraska's dime.  Many successful leaders have to deal with failures first, and if Frost goes about seeking to understand why things have not worked out so far at Nebraska, this can guide him to future success.  

As for recruiting, unless we believe the recruiting services to be way off in rankings, Nebraska has had four straight top 25 recruiting classes so I am not sure talent has been the primary issue for a lack of success.  So if it's not talent, it has to come back to either coaching or the administration/athletic program, and when I look at the past 20 years, I think we can say it's been a mix of both at different points in time.  

21 minutes ago, FTW said:

If we don’t go to a bowl, the outcome doesn’t change for SF just because he’s part of our history. 

It's not just because he is a part of our history. It is mostly because of how low the other 2 left the program combined with 18 months of pandemic which has rattled the entire college football worlds combined with the actual difficulty that is the Big10 combined with a meat grinder of a 2021 schedule.  There are a lot of moving parts here, and I think the risk of letting a coach building a good thing go too soon far outweighs the risk of letting him prove he is no good in 2022 and cutting bait at that point.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I do think Frost could be successful at another program down the road, but it will require a great deal of self-awareness on his part to understand what failed at Nebraska.  As we look at his 5-plus seasons as a head coach, it's apparent that the 2017 UCF season was a fluke compared to the other seasons.  In essence, he is getting paid $5 million a year for on the job training, and he is learning how to lead in a P5 conference on Nebraska's dime.  Many successful leaders have to deal with failures first, and if Frost goes about seeking to understand why things have not worked out so far at Nebraska, this can guide him to future success.  

As for recruiting, unless we believe the recruiting services to be way off in rankings, Nebraska has had four straight top 25 recruiting classes so I am not sure talent has been the primary issue for a lack of success.  So if it's not talent, it has to come back to either coaching or the administration/athletic program, and when I look at the past 20 years, I think we can say it's been a mix of both at different points in time.  

If the belief is that he is getting paid for on-the-job training, then wouldn't it make sense for Nebraska to benefit from the results of that training? - Yeah man, I'm going to pay you a butt ton of money to learn how to do a job, and then just as you seem to be "getting it." I'm going to cut you loose so that someone else can benefit from all the training I paid for, and then I'm going to start training someone else and see if they "get it," just a bit quicker. Cool? 

Seems like a GREAT business model. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

If the belief is that he is getting paid for on-the-job training, then wouldn't it make sense for Nebraska to benefit from the results of that training? - Yeah man, I'm going to pay you a butt ton of money to learn how to do a job, and then just as you seem to be "getting it." I'm going to cut you loose so that someone else can benefit from all the training I paid for, and then I'm going to start training someone else and see if they "get it," just a bit quicker. Cool? 

Seems like a GREAT business model. 

Well for starters, I am not sure Moos or anyone believed Frost would struggle as he has. Regarding Frost's potential future success, I am not sure we can continue to invest in him unless he starts producing results now.  When I said he could be successful down the road, that could be many years away and I don't think this program can afford to be strung along.  Thus, when looking at a new coach, I think prioritizing proven P5 experience should be the top criteria.

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic