Serious List of New Head Coach

Ggodd002

3 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Campbell has been loyal to ISU, but I wonder if the crumbling of the Big 12 and the fact that ISU will always be ISU doesn’t make him a realistic target.

3 hours ago, FTW said:

We either find a veteran coach who’s been fired or an up and comer. No way we get anyone besides that. I think if you read the tea leaves, NU tried to get the ISU AD (who declined of course) if he hadn’t, Matt Campbell would be our HC in 22’. Since we didn’t land the AD, my thinking is Campbell is on Trev’s shortlist right now.

Honest question here:  How does his style of play translate to Big 10 football?  Remember we have had 2 coaches now who had a hard time adapting to Big 10 football - 

First Bo had to revamp his D and I don't think he ever got it right & his Offense was always a work in progress.  Now Frost is having fits making consistent headway.  What are the characteristics of a Campell team that will give us a competitive edge in the Big 10?   I'm not against Campbell, he just beat my second favorite team - 8th ranked OSU Cowboys(my anti sooner team). He's done very well in bringing a lower tier Big 12 team to respectability.  Can we assume that having NU resources will get him over the top?   The assumption was that those same  resources would turn Mike Riley from a .500 coach into a .750 coach.  We don't want to make the same assumption.   

Some more honest questions:

Is he a great recruiter, a great evaluator of talent (can he get good recruits but more importantly recruits that fit his style of play)?

Is he a great developer of talent?

does he make good in game adjustments?

What is experience level of his assistants? If he comes, he'll probably bring some with him. 

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I'm looking forward to buy 1 get 3 free next season on tickets. 

With a reduced price of 20 dollars on the initial ticket.  Multiple game purchases get extra free tickets, 50 cents on your Hy-Vee fuel saver, plus fries and drink upgraded at Runza from medium to large.  This "organic" sellout streak will not die on our watch.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

With a reduced price of 20 dollars on the initial ticket.  Multiple game purchases get extra free tickets, 50 cents on your Hy-Vee fuel saver, plus fries and drink upgraded at Runza from medium to large.  This "organic" sellout streak will not die on our watch.

you will be able to buy tickets in the hot deals section of your local hyvee. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Honest question here:  How does his style of play translate to Big 10 football?  Remember we have had 2 coaches now who had a hard time adapting to Big 10 football - 

First Bo had to revamp his D and I don't think he ever got it right & his Offense was always a work in progress.  Now Frost is having fits making consistent headway.  What are the characteristics of a Campell team that will give us a competitive edge in the Big 10?   I'm not against Campbell, he just beat my second favorite team - 8th ranked OSU Cowboys(my anti sooner team). He's done very well in bringing a lower tier Big 12 team to respectability.  Can we assume that having NU resources will get him over the top?   The assumption was that those same  resources would turn Mike Riley from a .500 coach into a .750 coach.  We don't want to make the same assumption.   

Some more honest questions:

Is he a great recruiter, a great evaluator of talent (can he get good recruits but more importantly recruits that fit his style of play)?

Is he a great developer of talent?

does he make good in game adjustments?

What is experience level of his assistants? If he comes, he'll probably bring some with him. 

Don’t have the answers to all your questions. I believe he is a really good recruiter. His RB is probably going to get drafted in the 1st round. He’s a fiery young type of coach who seems to get ISU to play hard. FWIW, USC has Campbell on their shortlist right now.

On 10/23/2021 at 6:38 PM, Decked said:

Some of you guys are so insane it’s crazy. Lane Kiffin, Matt Campbell, or any established name that wasn’t a former player here is not coming to a program who has been down in the dumps for this long. 

Then we shouldn't make a change.  I guess we are as good as we are going to get....that is....if you are also of the opinion that Frost can't improve.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Then we shouldn't make a change.  I guess we are as good as we are going to get....that is....if you are also of the opinion that Frost can't improve.

You keep downplaying it like you expect Frost to be retained, haha. Unless we win 3 out of 4, he’s no Bill Jennings. He won’t be brought back for another year. Many fans have a defeatist attitude now that the prodigal son didn’t work out — so the sky has fallen (to them.) I’m an optimistic, I think whoever NU goes after they will be a tremendous upgrade over SF.

5 hours ago, FTW said:

We either find a veteran coach who’s been fired or an up and comer. No way we get anyone besides that. I think if you read the tea leaves, NU tried to get the ISU AD (who declined of course) if he hadn’t, Matt Campbell would be our HC in 22’. Since we didn’t land the AD, my thinking is Campbell is on Trev’s shortlist right now.

I can promise you that you're reading the tea leaves incorrectly.

5 minutes ago, FTW said:

You keep downplaying it like you expect Frost to be retained, haha. Unless we win 3 out of 4, he’s no Bill Jennings. He won’t be brought back for another year. Many fans have a defeatist attitude now that the prodigal son didn’t work out — so the sky has fallen (to them.) I’m an optimistic, I think whoever NU goes after they will be a tremendous upgrade over SF.

I didn't say one way or the other.  But, some people in this thread don't think we can go out and get one of the hot coaches.  

My comment is saying, if we can't go get a hot coach, what are we changing for?  Are people saying we should make a change even though we are going to go get a coach that is unproven and isn't a splash hire?

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I also think there's a non-zero chance if we finish 5-7 or worse, Frost says no to staff changes, says this isn't working out and takes an open group of 5 gig in Florida (FIU or USF?). Just a thought. 

He might want to but a group of 5 school likely won't pay the buyout.  Unless Scott volunteers for the huge pay cut, that isn't likely.  

• Enhance locked and unlocked this topic