Huskers Land Texas Transfer QB Casey Thompson

I see one very glaring issue the rivals poster chose to ignore... The thumb issue that resulted in the seasonal struggle. I like this rivals poster's glaring position. He, like many, are looking past the Huskers. May this glaring oversight of checking the win box before the game is played come around and bite him and every doubter/naysayer in the Arse!!!

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Found on Rivals from some hater. 

For those tired of hearing about Nebraska. I’m one of you. There’s not a team, even IU, where id root for Nebraska against that team. Sorry.. 

One reason we shouldn’t fear Nebraska that’s noted in many previews is that thought that mark whipple, their new OC, really just benefitted from having Kenny Pickett in a very down ACC.

but the real reason is the huge pickup that is Casey Thompson! I mean come on, he threw for 2000 yards (uh ok) at Texas.  

much like diving into the 2004 football season at Purdue, let’s look at the passing yards allowed ranking of each of his opponents, then yards and td/int by Thompson in that game.  

44 Kansas state 17-23 170 yds 1 TD 1 INT 
Texas won 22-17 

40 West Virginia 4-14 29 yards 0 TD 1 INT 
Texas lost 31-23

81 Kansas 30-43 358 yards 6 TD 1 INT 
Texas lost 57-56

11 Iowa state 2-6 2 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 30-7

65 Baylor 23-38 280 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 31-24

36 Oklahoma state 15-27 179 yards 1 TD 2 INT
Texas lost 32-24

109 Oklahoma 20-34 388 5 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 55-48

86 TCU 12-22 142 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Texas won 32-27

119 Texas Tech 18-23 303 yards 5 TD 1 INT
Texas won 70-35

123 Rice 15-18 164 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas won 58-0

41 Arkansas 5-8 57 yards 0 TD 0 INT 
Texas lost 40-21

14 Louisiana 4-5 41 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Texas won 38-18

So he threw for 1049 yards 16 TD 2 INT against three teams rated 81st or below in pass defense, then in his 9 other games 1064 yards with 8 TD and 7 INT. What a pickup lol. I can see what all the hype is about now. By the way everyone outside of Nebraska in the Big Ten West was ranked in the top 46 in pass defense with an average ranking of 29th!! He even had a couple games where he sucked against s#!t pass defenses.  

I can’t remember a more glaring indicator in all my time following college football that a team was going to perform so differently from expectations. 

I take it this guy is a Purdue fan with the "even IU" remark and then mentioning Purdue for no reason.  

• Plus1 3

So he threw for 1049 yards 16 TD 2 INT against three teams rated 81st or below in pass defense, then in his 9 other games 1064 yards with 8 TD and 7 INT. What a pickup lol. I can see what all the hype is about now. By the way everyone outside of Nebraska in the Big Ten West was ranked in the top 46 in pass defense with an average ranking of 29th!! He even had a couple games where he sucked against s#!t pass defenses.

I can't really comment on that last sentence as it's just too subjective.

But I think this guy's stats are accurate and I completely agree that B1G defenses on average are going to be tougher on Casey than many of the ones he faced last season. 

Whipple has to figure out what these players are good at and put together a scheme & playbook that revolves around that. I tend to doubt that Thompson just goes out there and wins us seven games this year just on pure confidence & attitude. 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, Undone said:

I can't really comment on that last sentence as it's just too subjective.

But I think this guy's stats are accurate and I completely agree that B1G defenses on average are going to be tougher on Casey than many of the ones he faced last season. 

Whipple has to figure out what these players are good at and put together a scheme & playbook that revolves around that. I tend to doubt that Thompson just goes out there and wins us seven games this year just on pure confidence & attitude. 

I think with Palmer, Manning, Martin, Garcia-Casteneda, Washington, Vokolek, & Johnson - that's enough to get the offense moving. Comes down to how quickly this team can gel and can the OL hold up? If so, I feel pretty good. Casey has much better footwork and mechanics IMO to be a better QB than AM. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I think with Palmer, Manning, Martin, Garcia-Casteneda, Washington, Vokolek, & Johnson - that's enough to get the offense moving. Comes down to how quickly this team can gel and can the OL hold up? If so, I feel pretty good. Casey has much better footwork and mechanics IMO to be a better QB than AM. 

Agreed on better footwork & mechanics. Definitely think Adrian's arm is stronger - but that doesn't mean as much if you're not scanning the defense as quickly and knowing where to go compared to another QB who does this better.

Pass protection was pretty bad through several stretches last season, and we're potentially playing a former walk-on as the starting center. So much will boil down to good pass pro.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Found on Rivals from some hater. 

For those tired of hearing about Nebraska. I’m one of you. There’s not a team, even IU, where id root for Nebraska against that team. Sorry.. 

One reason we shouldn’t fear Nebraska that’s noted in many previews is that thought that mark whipple, their new OC, really just benefitted from having Kenny Pickett in a very down ACC.

but the real reason is the huge pickup that is Casey Thompson! I mean come on, he threw for 2000 yards (uh ok) at Texas.  

much like diving into the 2004 football season at Purdue, let’s look at the passing yards allowed ranking of each of his opponents, then yards and td/int by Thompson in that game.  

44 Kansas state 17-23 170 yds 1 TD 1 INT 
Texas won 22-17 

40 West Virginia 4-14 29 yards 0 TD 1 INT 
Texas lost 31-23

81 Kansas 30-43 358 yards 6 TD 1 INT 
Texas lost 57-56

11 Iowa state 2-6 2 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 30-7

65 Baylor 23-38 280 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 31-24

36 Oklahoma state 15-27 179 yards 1 TD 2 INT
Texas lost 32-24

109 Oklahoma 20-34 388 5 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 55-48

86 TCU 12-22 142 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Texas won 32-27

119 Texas Tech 18-23 303 yards 5 TD 1 INT
Texas won 70-35

123 Rice 15-18 164 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas won 58-0

41 Arkansas 5-8 57 yards 0 TD 0 INT 
Texas lost 40-21

14 Louisiana 4-5 41 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Texas won 38-18

I can’t remember a more glaring indicator in all my time following college football that a team was going to perform so differently from expectations. 

Adrian had 9 TD to 10 INT against bowl teams. Basically every QB outside the elite guys are gonna look OKAY against top defenses. If Casey can torch the bad teams on our schedule, and okay against the good teams, should be enough to win 8 games, assuming the OL (nervous) and Defense are decent.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
47 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed on better footwork & mechanics. Definitely think Adrian's arm is stronger - but that doesn't mean as much if you're not scanning the defense as quickly and knowing where to go compared to another QB who does this better.

Pass protection was pretty bad through several stretches last season, and we're potentially playing a former walk-on as the starting center. So much will boil down to good pass pro.

Time will tell but I am not worried about Hixson. He's 23 now and has many starts under his belt. He's no Jurgens but I think he plays well enough. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Adrian had 9 TD to 10 INT against bowl teams. Basically every QB outside the elite guys are gonna look OKAY against top defenses. If Casey can torch the bad teams on our schedule, and okay against the good teams, should be enough to win 8 games, assuming the OL (nervous) and Defense are decent.

Nebraska  Opponent

Passing TDs       14                14

Interceptions      11                10

One guy has Casey at #7, says he's a bit of an upgrade over Martinez, but defenses in B1G are tougher.

The other guy has him at the same spot, says he's a big upgrade over Martinez and that Thompson's stats at Texas are skewed negatively due to splitting time with the other QB early in the season. 

I'm not even sure that Thompson is better than the eighth guy on the list, Tanner Morgan.

I feel like everyone is under the impression that Casey has very little/nothing to prove and will just stroll in and crush it here. In my opinion he actually has a lot to prove, and if our line plays poorly this season he'll be in the same situation Adrian has been in quite a bit of the time throughout his career here where he'll have to try to move the chains all on his own.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not even sure that Thompson is better than the eighth guy on the list, Tanner Morgan.

I feel like everyone is under the impression that Casey has very little/nothing to prove and will just stroll in and crush it here. In my opinion he actually has a lot to prove, and if our line plays poorly this season he'll be in the same situation Adrian has been in quite a bit of the time throughout his career here where he'll have to try to move the chains all on his own.

Tanner Morgan cant throw anything over 20 yards without it being a duck.

That Offensive system hid his flaws well. He also had some tremendous WR's. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1