Betts

10 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

You are quite possibly right. But shooting down any questions about him/his departure RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE makes me a little more suspicious. If I were a JOURNALIST, I would not let that line stop me from asking more questions. With all due respect to all the WRs still on the team, what could lead a guy who successfully took 21 credit hours (12 is being a Full Time Student) in order to get back on the team and HAD to figure big in the team's offensive plans suddenly feel that his "heart wasn't in it"?

I want to also say that the guy who asked the question did it with VERY BAD form:
People seem to have already forgotten that Garrett's FIRST words in answer to the question were "Ummm, not.. not really" (before launching into the "with all due respect...").
So what was he answering "not really" to?

Here was the full question: "Did Zavier's situation take you by surprise & what was your reaction... did you see it coming?"
If the answer to "Did Zavier's situation take you by surprise?" is "not really" then we want to know why it didn't take you by surprise.

If the answer to "did you see it coming?" Is "not really" then the follow up question should be: You mean to tell me that a position coach can't tell by performance or demeanor that a player's heart just isn't into it? Did you notice a drop off in his practice performance or demeanor in RECENT days?

Do you see what I'm saying? Everyone got so taken by the quality of the misdirection that you immediately stopped your brains and said "YEAH! Let's be fair to the guys who are still here and talk about THEM". Great. I can see fans getting misdirected. Mission Accomplished. If it stops Real Journalists from asking further questions? Then Mission SUPER Accomplished.

please keep the conspiracy theories in the P&R forum where they belong

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1
5 minutes ago, commando said:

please keep the conspiracy theories in the P&R forum where they belong

I have no theory. I have questions. That's what is supposed to be asked at a press conference.

Also:

“Conspiracy theory” is widely acknowledged to be a loaded term. Politicians use it to mock and dismiss allegations against them, while philosophers and political scientists warn that it could be used as a rhetorical weapon to pathologize dissent. So in essence, by labeling my desire for more QUESTIONS to be asked and answered a "Conspiracy Theory", you are doing the same thing that Garrett's "With all due respect..." line did. More misdirection.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

45 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

You are quite possibly right. But shooting down any questions about him/his departure RIGHT OUT OF THE GATE makes me a little more suspicious. If I were a JOURNALIST, I would not let that line stop me from asking more questions. With all due respect to all the WRs still on the team, what could lead a guy who successfully took 21 credit hours (12 is being a Full Time Student) in order to get back on the team and HAD to figure big in the team's offensive plans suddenly feel that his "heart wasn't in it"?

I want to also say that the guy who asked the question did it with VERY BAD form:
People seem to have already forgotten that Garrett's FIRST words in answer to the question were "Ummm, not.. not really" (before launching into the "with all due respect...").

Here was the full question: "Did Zavier's situation take you by surprise & what was your reaction... did you see it coming?"
If the answer to "Did Zavier's situation take you by surprise?" is "not really" then we want to know why it didn't take you by surprise.

If the answer to "did you see it coming?" Is "not really" then the follow up question should be: You mean to tell me that a position coach can't tell by performance or demeanor that a player's heart just isn't into it? Did you notice a drop off in his practice performance or demeanor in RECENT days?

Do you see what I'm saying? Everyone got so taken by the quality of the misdirection that you immediately stopped your brains and said "YEAH! Let's be fair to the guys who are still here and talk about THEM". Great. I can see fans getting misdirected. Mission Accomplished. If it stops Real Journalists from asking further questions? Then Mission SUPER Accomplished.

giphy.webp

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, but what if our staff found out that he had violated sports betting rules? Rather than throw him under the bus and turn an NCAA spotlight on the whole Nebraska program, wouldn't it be better to just part ways with him?

What a random wild theory.    This goes a little beyond, "gee whiz I'm just asking questions".

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

I will say it's hard to understand why a guy with his talent doesn't have his heart in it but at the same time I kind of understand.  As a Junior I broke down to my DB coach and told him for the first time in my life I wasn't having fun playing football.  I was beat up physically at the time and we had a upperclassmen milking an injury opposite of me.   I felt like I was doing what was right for the team and my teammate was taking advantage of the fact he was a senior.  My coach agreed with me and gave me a couple days off to recover.  I never thought in a million years I would tell someone I wasn't having fun playing football.   But I did and I worked through it. Betts has his reasons and whatever they are, are good enough 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I have no theory. I have questions.

But the problem is what happens behind the scenes in the program is none of the public's gawd damn business is it?

If Betts want to come out and do a tell all about what his thought process was leading up to this, fine. But we sure a hell don't need anyone within the program flapping that jaws on what is a private matter between the staff and player.

• TBH 3

It's natural to want to make sense out of Lavier's decision, to understand it. Coach McGuire wasn't surprised by it and redirected the focus where it belonged, on the members of his group. I'm sure that he anticipated that there'd be questions posed about Bett's departure. He's being earnest when offering to be there for his former player. His response is sufficient.

There's nothing particularly remarkable about Garret's statement other than he has a level of maturity beyond his years and is a poised individual. As for Lavier, the choice is his. I'm grateful that he at least gave it a shot. There is no hidden scandal or conspiracy. Certainly there's some sadness for what might have been. Let's just be mindful to refrain from making more out of this than it is. It's not in the interest of the person or the team.  

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I will say it's hard to understand why a guy with his talent doesn't have his heart in it but at the same time I kind of understand.  As a Junior I broke down to my DB coach and told him for the first time in my life I wasn't having fun playing football.  I was beat up physically at the time and we had a upperclassmen milking an injury opposite of me.   I felt like I was doing what was right for the team and my teammate was taking advantage of the fact he was a senior.  My coach agreed with me and gave me a couple days off to recover.  I never thought in a million years I would tell someone I wasn't having fun playing football.   But I did and I worked through it. Betts has his reasons and whatever they are, are good enough 

Thanks for that.  I have played with some back in the day that had talent and got burnt out or just didn't love it.  As for Betts, I believe him that he just didn't have the heart or desire for it anymore.  That was face value honesty.  Nothing wrong with that. I'm guessing he thought he could try one last time and came to the conclusion that he was done with football and the long days during your college years and expectations to be the best day in and out.  I wish him the best.  Doesn't matter if continues his education or not, with Nebraska or not.  Just wish him the best and appreciate his time and honesty.

6 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

:moreinteresting

• TBH 2