We'll never be good again.

We've had multiple Top 25 classes in recent years, but that's just not good enough in today's college football world. The top-tier teams are the ones landing Top 10-15 classes year-in and year-out. We're at a big recruiting disadvantage due to geographical location, which means either A) we shell out top dollar for a big-name coach that kids will come to Lincoln to play for; or B) we run a scheme that not many other schools run (i.e., the option) so that kids who play a similar style will make Nebraska their top destination.

• Plus1 1

Well, when they took the lead 17-14, we came back.  We play well and go up 28-17.  Pretty good spot to be in.

Still not sure why an onside kick was the best decision at that time - for the team.  By doing so and not recovering, we took all the pressure off of them and placed it right back on our shady defense.  So of course, they score to make it a close game right away (28-24).  Easily too.  

13 out of 14 Big Ten coaches would have kicked it off.  Because we had a nice lead, the pressure is building on them, and its normal football decision making.

• Plus1 2

On 8/27/2022 at 5:30 PM, BoSolich said:

even with NIL money we can't even get a top 25 recruiting class. it's over.

Are you okay? Do we need to call someone to talk you off that ledge?

And we will be good again. We have all the hallmarks that the top programs have. The fact that we haven't been back towards the top is an aberration due to poor AD leadership and decision-making. Trev already has us in a good place come October if Frost doesn't make with the goods...

On 8/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We've had multiple Top 25 classes in recent years, but that's just not good enough in today's college football world. The top-tier teams are the ones landing Top 10 classes year-in and year-out. We're at a big recruiting advantage due to geographical location, which means either A) we shell out top dollar for a big-name coach that kids will come to Lincoln to play for; or B) we run a scheme that not many other schools run (i.e., the option) so that kids who play a similar style will make Nebraska their top destination.

I think you mean disadvantage, but I pick up what you're laying down.

I would like to add C) if you show strength and progress and help get kids consistently in the NFL, you'll get kids coming from afar regardless of scheme or NIL. Look at 'Bama as a case-in-point. That state is a s***hole that only looks good when it's compared to Mississippi and Louisiana. But kids flock to 'Bama (and occasionally Auburn) because of success and coaching (and pre-NIL, the bagmen). 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

I think you mean disadvantage, but I pick up what you're laying down.

I would like to add C) if you show strength and progress and help get kids consistently in the NFL, you'll get kids coming from afar regardless of scheme or NIL. Look at 'Bama as a case-in-point. That state is a s***hole that only looks good when it's compared to Mississippi and Louisiana. But kids flock to 'Bama (and occasionally Auburn) because of success and coaching (and pre-NIL, the bagmen). 

You forgot to mention proximity to where most recruits already live, and where the games will be played so family and friends can go.   Not apples to apples, it never will be. 

• 1 month later...

I see threads like this and comments about...we will never be good again and just roll my eyes.  Right now, it seems like the dark days of Husker football and, I don't disagree.  The program is bad.  But, people claiming "we will never be good again" are just wrong.

From 2015 through last year, Nebraska had a .369 winning percentage.  :bang

But, from 2007 through last year, Tennessee had a winning percentage of .490.  A little better, but not much and over a longer period of time.  Look at them now, they are undefeated, sitting at 3 and 4 in the nation and just beat Alabama.

The frustrating thing?  We hire Frost after having success at UCF and he was an absolute failure.  They hire Heupel, who had a worse record at UCF, and he's having success.

I'm a firm believer that Frost's failure had way more to do with Frost personally than problems a coach will have with being successful at Nebraska.  We just need to get the right coach and staff and great things can happen.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1