Who should our next HC be?

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

None of them do. This is big $ business nowadays and all that matters is winning and profits. If you're looking for a top-tier coach with strong morals and ethics, good luck.

But if you don't have someone who genuinely cares about people, the program never revives. You may get a couple of good years and/or a national championship, but you never course correct and are in a hole again anyway churning through hires. We aren't looking for angels, but con artists should be avoided for your own sustainability.

3 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

But we here at Nebraska have morals and values so our coach should too!!!! I don't care about that. Give us a coach that hates losing and is a grinder. Someone that will take us to the top where we belong and keep us there. College Football is all about money and how much are you willing to spend to be great. 

People like Urban and Jimbo talk smooth, bring in all the kids and money, but if you don't take accountability for their environment and development, you quickly loose the reigns when it gets hard. Kids quit when you lose or your moral choice come back to bite you. Ask FSU how selling out for two or three years has turned out. Ask Florida how the environment is since Urban. Another decade of sifting through coaches is not a solid plan after the snake oil goes bad. Find someone who is a good leader and cares and has a good work ethic and watch the changes become strong and consistent. 

• Plus1 3

28 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Find someone who is a good leader and cares and has a good work ethic and watch the changes become strong and consistent. 

The problem with that is that guys like that are few and far between. It's hard enough finding a coach who could be successful here, let alone one who has the qualities you mentioned and the integrity/character that Trev wants.

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Perhaps, but some have better chances than others.

Yeah and some have better chances than fans will ever be able to understand because the DNA that makes a successful coach is an unsolvable puzzle, and an AD making decisions based on, "we can't afford to risk ______" is absolutely doomed to fail. A good AD understands that any choice is a gamble and that there is a lot of luck that plays a roll and can't be predicted or controlled.

People said we couldn't afford to risk losing out on Frost in 2018. Now in hindsight there's a pretty compelling argument that hiring him then is what caused this to become a nightmare.

• Plus1 1

Another thing I hear against Urban Meyer is he is a short term solution. So if he were to bring a championship or even close to won 2-4 years and he bails out then that's bad for Nebraska i disagree. I look at the fact if he were to do that it would show the next coach after him the formula to succeed plus Nebraska would have more exposure saying look if he can win at a high level it can happen

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Another thing I hear against Urban Meyer is he is a short term solution. So if he were to bring a championship or even close to won 2-4 years and he bails out then that's bad for Nebraska i disagree. I look at the fact if he were to do that it would show the next coach after him the formula to succeed plus Nebraska would have more exposure saying look if he can win at a high level it can happen

I personally don’t see him bailing until he reaches the summit. Once that peak has been reached, he moves on. That’s why I’d like to see Herman as his OC/head coach in waiting. Of course, Herman may have higher aspirations.

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I personally don’t see him bailing until he reaches the summit. Once that peak has been reached, he moves on. That’s why I’d like to see Herman as his OC/head coach in waiting. Of course, Herman may have higher aspirations.

They could make Nebraska great again.  Urb 'gets sick again' and Herman is set up to take charge of a rebuilt blueblood program and we begin a new coaching tree and legacy at Nebraska.  And pigs will fly and all year will be candy and nuts. 

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The problem with that is that guys like that are few and far between. It's hard enough finding a coach who could be successful here, let alone one who has the qualities you mentioned and the integrity/character that Trev wants.

I dont think it would be that hard to find a coach who could at least get us back on track. Out of the last 4 coaches hired: Pelini had us winning an amount that we would all take right now, Riley was an absolute poor choice by a bad AD, Callahan the exact same, and Frost was the only one that looked good to everyone on paper but just wasn't it for whatever reason. I feel like even if we get someone who is the bottom coach on some people's list, Matt Campbell, can get us back to a solid bowl team pretty quickly and then we figure it out from there once we have stability and culture. If we had Eichorst still I would be worried but I just think even if Trev plays it safe he will not pick a Mike Riley Or Callahan who were both chosen after either not looking or not getting anyone we actually wanted.  Hell even Pederson almost got us Mike Zimmer who would have been a slam dunk, and I seriously doubt we are gonna get outbid on our #1 choice this time. 

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

High profile coaches don't seem to leave good recruiting regions for poor recruiting regions.  Maybe someone can correct me, but of the successful coaches I can think of that have moved around (Meyer, Saban, Fisher, Harbaugh, Lincoln Riley, Brian Kelly), I can't think of one that left a fertile recruiting area, and down the line took a job with a tougher situation than the one they had before.  

These coaches are competitive.  They want to win, and they want the best athletes possible to help them compete.  Nebraska will NEVER out-recruit the Ohio States of the world.  Maybe Urban's tarnished reputation makes the situation a bit more interesting, but I just don't see it.

• Plus1 1

I am going to stick my neck out a little here. I think Trev has been working on something for months, and there are things guys on the current staff already know in terms of their future here at Nebraska. I think the coaches he wants have been vetted already and understand that they cannot bring their entire staff over and that we have guys in place for them, and they agreed to it. Joseph, Beckton, Applewhite (possibly Busch) are great recruiters and developers that any staff would love to have. No brainers if you will. If it is someone like Matt Campbell, I am sure he knows he cannot bring his entire staff, and having those three makes it even easier to transition over. I think it was chess all along. 

You're not going to let Fidone walk

You're not going to let Ajay Allen leave 

You're not going to miss out on Omarion Miller, Barry Jackson, Jaydin Doss, and maybe Malachi Coleman and replace them with middle the pack WR recruits. 

These hires were never about Frost, and more so about the new guy and the future of Nebraska football, and I believe deep down, Frost knew it too. 

And if anyone mentions coach Raoila, well it didn't matter. Trev is going to hire a guy who can coach the lines, and so that hire was more disposable. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1